RTX 2070

Saliwarrior
Saliwarrior Member Posts: 94

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Hi there.

I am planning on purchasing one of the rtx 2070 in the next hour or so. Or as soon as I get a response.
Should I get this https://www.ebuyer.com/862940-zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-blower-8gb-graphics-card-zt-t20700a-10p

or https://www.ebuyer.com/862934-zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-amp-extreme-core-8gb-graphics-card-zt-t20700c-10p

I have a 500w psu.

Also I am assuming the second one is OCed? 

I am upgrading from a gtx 1050 2gb to a rtx 2070 so it's a massive upgrade for me. So which ever I'd be happy to get. I DON'T want one that over heats. I am using a mid tower gaming pc Acer gx 781. What you guys think? Is it worth going that extra?

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,074 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Both GPUs have the same boost clock, so they will have the same performance. Whichever one you should choose depends on your case. If the space inside the case is tight and there is no good amount of airflow go for blower style cooling. If there is sufficient airflow in the case to allow the hot air coming from the GPU to be exhausted quickly go for open air cooler.

The zotac's graphics card from the link is with blower cooler.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    This should work in theoretically. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    You don't have any available 4pin molex. You have to check if the PSU has such a connector and you might have to disconnect the ODD in order to connect the GPU. It is possible that the PSU doesn't have molex, but it uses 6pin instead. If it has 6pin you can't connect it to the 8pin of the GPU and in this case you need a new PSU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Just to clarify the 8pin connector that is required for the GPU has to come from the PSU not the motherboard.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    I don't know where this cable is connected to you have to find that yourself. Can you post a picture of the backside of the PSU where the cables are(see picture)?

I am not familiar with pre-built systems, so I am not sure if the PSU that your PC has is semi-modular. If there aren't any ports at the back like in the picture and if the cables are only there you have to track the cable of the molex connector and see if it goes through some other places before it goes to back to the PSU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    OK, I just checked and your PSU doesn't have any extra connectors, so what is left for you is to track this molex.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    You disconnect everything from the old one.

I would suggest you to go for modular PSU. You will have much less cable mess with it.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    I would go for the EVGA, as it is very reliable and the other PSU's brand is unknwon to me. I personally use EVGA on my build.
    As for the GPU check whether it isn't leaning on the motherboard preventing it from going in any further. This is the part I am talking about:
    I would also advice you to clean the dust out from the fan.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    If it isn't that then you have to find what is preventing the GPU from going all the way in. Maybe you have to press it a bit harder or remove it and put it back again and make sure the bus of the card is aligned parallel to the PCIe slot.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    You might also have to press the card a bit harder.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    The motherboard is not using a standard ATX form factor, so you might need a case that supports extended ATX. Before that measure length and width of the motherboard and if the width is more than 244mm, then you need an E-ATX case.

As of whether buying a new case will make a difference, I don't know, as you have to find what is stopping the GPU from going all the way in. This case has a space for cable routing on the other side, so you won't have cables going all over the place.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    I checked the measurements are 200*244mm, so it is a bit smaller than micro-ATX. It will fit in the case from the link you've given
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    I assume you talking about the black and white cables. These are for the antenna for the WIFI card they are connected to. You can disconnect them from the wifi card and the case and then connect them back after.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    I wander how you always catch me when I am online  :o=)

The CPU cooler doesn't have to be removed in order to remove the motherboard(you can post a picture). Using power tools on delicate components is a big no no.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓

These are all the connections on the motherboard and what they are for.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    You don't need these cables. They are most likely for the front panel I/O of the case. The same goes for the other 2 black cables, you shouldn't remove these. Why do you need to remove these by the way?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    You don't have to plug in the USB and ODD in order to operate the PC. 

About the metal sliders, I assume you are talking about the PCIe expansion slot brackets. You should snap them off, but only the ones you need. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Yes they connect to number 8, but you have to connect each on a specific pin.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    That is fine, it is just that having cable spaghetti in the case blocks airflow and collects dust(despite the case having a dust filter, there will still be dust getting inside).
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Answers

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I want to upgrade from a gtx 1050 2gb to a RTX 2070 8gb. I was wondering if the motherboard, was compatible with the graphic card. It's a GX 781. H My CPU is I5 7400. I know that if I buy a rtx 2070 I won't unlock it's full potential but it will give me an extra FPS kick of around 30 or even more from the previous gpu even with CPU bottleneck because I tested a black desert online on my pc which gave me 30-40 FPS on medium setting and on my brother's who is running the same cpu but better a 1060 gtx 3gb is getting 60 fps on remastered which is high graphic setting. I reckon I can get 30 fps higher than my brother's on remastered and + other games.

Also my psu is 500w. Do I have to upgrade it? I'd rather hope not.

• ven98
    I think 500w is enough for RTX 2070 and i5 7400. The motherboard is also compatible, just make sure that the graphics card you are planning to purchase fits in the case and I wouldn't advice overclocking the GPU with this PSU.

The CPU doesn't care about graphics settings, but it determines the maximum fps of the game. This means with the better GPU you can increase the graphics quality to reduce the CPU bottleneck in fps and use most of the GPU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Both GPUs have the same boost clock, so they will have the same performance. Whichever one you should choose depends on your case. If the space inside the case is tight and there is no good amount of airflow go for blower style cooling. If there is sufficient airflow in the case to allow the hot air coming from the GPU to be exhausted quickly go for open air cooler.

The zotac's graphics card from the link is with blower cooler.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Yes thank you very much. I was leaning towards the Zotac, and now that you've mentioned it. It makes sense because I have a zotac gtx 1050
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    Hi there.

I am planning on purchasing one of the rtx 2070 in the next hour or so. Or as soon as I get a response.
    Should I get this https://www.ebuyer.com/862940-zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-blower-8gb-graphics-card-zt-t20700a-10p

or https://www.ebuyer.com/862934-zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-amp-extreme-core-8gb-graphics-card-zt-t20700c-10p

I have a 500w psu.

Also I am assuming the second one is OCed? 

I am upgrading from a gtx 1050 2gb to a rtx 2070 so it's a massive upgrade for me. So which ever I'd be happy to get. I DON'T want one that over heats. I am using a mid tower gaming pc Acer gx 781. What you guys think? Is it worth going that extra?
    I would recommend this https://www.ebuyer.com/862934-zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-amp-extreme-core-8gb-graphics-card-zt-t20700c-10p

Its one of the best. Adding it with other compatible parts it turns out as a beast. 

Im planning to get one of this for a long time.. 
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Okay thanks for info. But will it be good with my psu as mine is 500. It recommends 550 I use a i5 7400 and 8 ddr4 
    Other component probs don't consume much. But would it be good
  • ven98
    What is model number of the PC that you are using?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Rudy21
    Okay thanks for info. But will it be good with my psu as mine is 500. It recommends 550 I use a i5 7400 and 8 ddr4 
    Other component probs don't consume much. But would it be good
    Yeah thats a good point. I actually missed it out of anxiety to see another user looking to purchase the same part i'm intrested in.. 

PSU definitely matters. Most of the time incompatible PSU might cause problems to other hardware components.

https://www.ebuyer.com/862940-zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-blower-8gb-graphics-card-zt-t20700a-10p this does the same as the other one but not to the extent.

If you consider changing PSU then my recommendation still remains same..  
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

340.08k05.04E1
  • ven98
    I can't find this part number in Acer's database. Can you post the model number. For example N50-600
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Aspire GX 781

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    I can oc my gpu right?
  • Rudy21
    I can oc my gpu right?
    yes
  • ven98
    Are sure the triple fan cooler GPU will fit in your case? 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    If I had your PC I would go with this GPU:
    https://www.ebuyer.com/862940-zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-blower-8gb-graphics-card-zt-t20700a-10p

I wouldn't advice any kind of overclocking with 500W PSU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I might need to take off the plastic that was holding my gpu from bending. In terms of length it might be a bit difficult to fit it in. But Possibly. It's my first time buying a completely different size. My pc measures just over 14 inches but there is this metal shielding of around 4 inches. I might be able to slide gpu inside and twist and turn without breaking the chip
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Okay thanks. Purchase made :)

thank you guys for help.
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

So I bought. The graphic card and barely managed to fit it in. it works everything turned on and all components work that includes the graphic card fan. But I can no display from monitor screen. The gpu does wobble a bit when I insert the HDMI. But don't know why it's not showing also there is like 8 pin but I got no connector?
  • ven98
    You need an 8 pin connector for the GPU to work, because the PCIe port can only provide up to 75W, which isn't enough to power it.

The PSU is using a standard ATX form factor, so any ATX PSU will fit.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system