RTX 2070

Answers

• Saliwarrior
    Saliwarrior Member Posts: 94

Tinkerer

Can I lower off my PC without it damaging graphic card because I can't power off normally I also asked this question in a separate page to get a quicker answer but tnx
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,074 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    This should work in theoretically. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    Okay thank you but, I don't think my motherboard has a port suitable for the other pins. I basically plug in the 8 pin into the graphic card and the other pin into the motherboards port. But I don't think it's available? 

Sorry for the too many questions. But this is helping a lot. I haven't seen anyone trying to put an rtx 2070 in a gx 781. So I can't find a good guide online
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    You don't have any available 4pin molex. You have to check if the PSU has such a connector and you might have to disconnect the ODD in order to connect the GPU. It is possible that the PSU doesn't have molex, but it uses 6pin instead. If it has 6pin you can't connect it to the 8pin of the GPU and in this case you need a new PSU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Just to clarify the 8pin connector that is required for the GPU has to come from the PSU not the motherboard.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

could this be the 4 pin molex 
  • ven98
    edited February 2019
    That is a 4pin molex. Was it connected in the PSU? You have to follow tohe cable to see were it goes and what you are disconnecting.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    no I found it like that. I was looking at the wires and I found this. I don't know if I accidently took it out.

I don't think I did, because wouldn't my optical drive not work?

You said I don't have any 4pin connector available, so after I found one I assumed it's important in solving the issue?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    I don't know where this cable is connected to you have to find that yourself. Can you post a picture of the backside of the PSU where the cables are(see picture)?

I am not familiar with pre-built systems, so I am not sure if the PSU that your PC has is semi-modular. If there aren't any ports at the back like in the picture and if the cables are only there you have to track the cable of the molex connector and see if it goes through some other places before it goes to back to the PSU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    OK, I just checked and your PSU doesn't have any extra connectors, so what is left for you is to track this molex.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I am probably just going to buy this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/LQL48d/xilence-performance-c-700w-atx-power-supply-xn046
    and https://www.ebuyer.com/841846-sahara-p15-mid-tower-case-sha-p15.

Any else I should buy with it and just disconnect everything on my old one and connect it to the new one. Anything else I should know like wiring that I might need to buy. Thanks for your help
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    You disconnect everything from the old one.

I would suggest you to go for modular PSU. You will have much less cable mess with it.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    Okay thank you. If you look on the right of this image, at the end you can see the zotac hanging slightly above the pci slot. If you zoom in you can see a bit of the chip. and the metal fixing that clamps down on the pc is slightly levitating. It's not connecting to the screw. Could this be due to the motherboard or the size of the pc?  Also, Modular psu are a bit more expensive 

I can only choose from these two psu https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/LQL48d/xilence-performance-c-700w-atx-power-supply-xn046 or

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/600w-evga-psu-fully-wired-80plus-sli-crossfire-single-rail-49a-120mm-fan-atx-psu-black?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtP_iBRDGARIsAEWJA8gKgr7aTC-qpAvegTJYF1LJMEFN19G8ifPCYuDzG-h-H6r3qaFI7EwaAtG1EALw_wcB

I am a students and I can't offered fancier components then these. I haven't been paid yet so I am trying to balance my budget until my manager pays me :(

one is certified -100w the other is not +100
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    I would go for the EVGA, as it is very reliable and the other PSU's brand is unknwon to me. I personally use EVGA on my build.
    As for the GPU check whether it isn't leaning on the motherboard preventing it from going in any further. This is the part I am talking about:
    I would also advice you to clean the dust out from the fan.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I have checked. It is not leaning on the motherboard. You know the gap that's between the motherboard and the cpu? It's not going in. I have applied pressure but I am afraid of applying too much pressure as I don't want it to snap. My other graphic card slots in easier. Without the same applied pressure. 
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    That doesn't make sense. I meant to say the gap between the motherboard and the pc side. Where you marked it in red
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    If it isn't that then you have to find what is preventing the GPU from going all the way in. Maybe you have to press it a bit harder or remove it and put it back again and make sure the bus of the card is aligned parallel to the PCIe slot.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    You might also have to press the card a bit harder.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

edited February 2019