RTX 2070

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,074 Pathfinder
    also the psu that comes with acer aspire is weirdly wired onto the case.
    This is a non issue if the cables are long enough. You just need to connect the 24pin and 4pin for the CPU.

Of course make sure that everything from the new power supply is disconnected.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Saliwarrior
    Saliwarrior Member Posts: 94

Tinkerer

Not working
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Changing power supply doesn't work. I plugged in the 24 pin and cpu pin but not working 
  • ven98
    You very likely fried the motherboard, I don't how. The pins of the power connectors have different shapes, which means you can't connect it the wrong way. The front panel was connected as should as well.

At least you can check if the PSU is working, as you didn't have the chance to test(I assume you bought the EVGA one:
    https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59582

Anything specific you think you could have done that may have damaged the motherboard?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Also re-check your connections. Plug everything out and back in again.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

What are the signs of a fried mobo. In some cases I pushed hard enough to hear creaks. Now it's nit cracked but when I was scrwwing in screws I would hear it slightly creak. In some rare cases my hands may of accidently touched the capacitors as I was plugging wires
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I haven't taken out the cmos battery. I'll try that with my professor just in case I mess up. Thx for help anyways
  • ven98
    What are the signs of a fried mobo. In some cases I pushed hard enough to hear creaks. Now it's nit cracked but when I was scrwwing in screws I would hear it slightly creak. In some rare cases my hands may of accidently touched the capacitors as I was plugging wires
    In many cases there are no signs that can be easily spotted, suggesting a fried mobo. I doubt the issue is because of tightening the screws too hard, but always tight the screws with wrist strength, not using the whole arm. This way you will be sure that you didn't over tighten.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I left my mobo out for 24h
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Inside an open case
  • ven98
    That shouldn't be a problem. There are people(extreme overclockers) that put their motherboards in dish washers to clean the vaseline off from it and after that the motherboard works just fine  :p. Don't ask why you would put a vaseline on a motherboard, because it is long to explain :#.

Whether the motherboard is in a case or outside it is pretty much exposed at the same environment either way.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Do I need a thermal paste? Or does that not make a difference 
  • ven98
    You definitely need a thermal paste, but that is not the reason why the motherboard isn't working.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I mean there's already thermal paste inside of it from two years ago and I didn't open the heat sink. Shouldn't it at least operate and turn off a few secs kater
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Oh okay. Makes sense
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

How could you tell that I need thermal paste. I've no clue?
  • ven98
    edited February 2019
    In your previous post somewhere you asked whether you have to remove the fan and said you had no thermal paste. I thought you didn't have thermal paste on the fan, as you have removed it previously. It seems you have thermal paste, so you don't need to repaste, but if you have removed the fan without changing the thermal paste, then you definitely have to change it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Just curious. I did push test and it worked. I plugged everything into motgerboard but not a single component responded. Not even the power supply? What could be the cause of this
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I meant psu
  • ven98
    The motherboard is likely to be the problem. When you press the power button it triggers a change of state of other circuits in the motherboard, which can be where the problem lies.

I never thought about that, but it is possible, very rare probably, but still possible that the power button itself could be the problem. It is very little possibility, but still worth troubleshooting. You can use the multimeter to check the resistance(in ohms) between the 2 cables of the power button(PSW or PW), in 'pressed condition'. If it shows a value close to 0(e.g 0.1ohms), then the power button isn't the problem. Your other option is to use the power button of the GX-781 case. To do so find this connector in the case(see picture) and connect to the motherboard and then press the power button of the GX-781 case.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system