RTX 2070

Answers

• Saliwarrior
    Saliwarrior Member Posts: 94

Tinkerer

The psu seems to work alone but when 24 pin is booked into mobo it doesn't work. I watched this guy on YouTube who did the same thing. His motherboard was not working however his cpu psu graphic wr working because the fans wr spinning. Nine ofmy components are doing so not even psu  
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,074 Pathfinder
    PSU(power supply unit) is the same as power supply.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    ven98 said:
    The motherboard is likely to be the problem. When you press the power button it triggers a change of state of other circuits in the motherboard, which can be where the problem lies.

I never thought about that, but it is possible, very rare probably, but still possible that the power button itself could be the problem. It is very little possibility, but still worth troubleshooting. You can use the multimeter to check the resistance(in ohms) between the 2 cables of the power button(PSW or PW), in 'pressed condition'. If it shows a value close to 0(e.g 0.1ohms), then the power button isn't the problem. Your other option is to use the power button of the GX-781 case. To do so find this connector in the case(see picture) and connect to the motherboard and then press the power button of the GX-781 case.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

okay not sure but maybe the motherboard is dead. I hear a ***** after I pressed the button on my pc
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I hear  a ti    t   when I power on the pc but no power

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

it sounds very faint
  • ven98
    For the troubleshooting we did it points out to a problem with the motherboard.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I don't know which motherboard to buy. Looking at PC part picker none of the parts are compatible with M.2 SSD
  • ven98
    Last thing you can try is too remove the RAM and try to boot without RAM.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I'll try thT but what does it mean the SATA will be disabled. Does it mean I won't be able to access the slot.https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/
    Probably going to buy an antistatic wrist wrap to not fry this mobo. 
  • ven98
    What motherboard are you planning to purchase?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Asus - STRIX Z270H ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  

What else should I consider buying? Apart from thermal paste since I'll
    get that for free in Uni. Plus wr do I get a disk for the mobo. It doesn't say it comes with one
  • ven98
    What disk do you mean? A disk with drivers?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Yes. For the asus vers
  • Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

I have a lot of work and other information on my SSD. If possible I'd like to transfer that to mobo. I don't want to make unnecessary purchase such as windows for a new ssd
  • ven98
    You don't need a disk with drivers, but usually every motherboard comes with one and it is not written in the specification. The motherboard is pretty much plug and play and you can update the firmware and drivers from the ASUS' website.
    Saliwarrior said:
    I'll try thT but what does it mean the SATA will be disabled. Does it mean I won't be able to access the slot
    What do you mean by that?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

edited February 2019

Compatibility Notes

• 'The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.'
    Found this when I added an m.2 storage. 

• ven98
    I have a lot of work and other information on my SSD. If possible I'd like to transfer that to mobo. I don't want to make unnecessary purchase such as windows for a new ssd
    You can take the SSD from the old motherboard and install it on the new one.

Before purchasing a new motherboard try turning this one on without RAM.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98

Compatibility Notes

• 'The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.'
    Found this when I added an m.2 storage. 

This motherboard has 6 SATA ports. That means if you install an SSD on one of the M.2 ports, that means one of these 6 SATA ports will be disabled.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Saliwarrior

Tinkerer

Ok, sure I'll try that. But I forgot to mention in both cases. When I plugged in the PW and 24 pinonto mobo. I heard a faint tik without anything powering on. That's besides the clicking noise of the pc button. It came like 1 sec after