G3-572 Acer Predator Helios 300 keeps crashing whenever I'm playing games.

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Have you had any reasons to open the case before this started to happen?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Raumaster
    Raumaster Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    No i have not.
  • JackE
    Options
    When it's booted into Windows, (1) Does it only seem to shut off under heavy gaming load or does it also do it under light load? (2) How long does it usually take to shut off by itself or does it seem to do it randomly? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Raumaster

Tinkerer

Options
    Only under gaming... pubg and wot i only play. My graphic settings arent even close to max. Maybe 10-20mins of gaming and it shuts down. Once it shut down when pubg was in the background when i went to the toilet between matches. On low light load, internet, office, or even watching netflix...all is well...
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Raumaster
    Are you using any undervolting on CPU and/or GPU? When put under strain CPU/GPU can shut down when bare minimum voltage for that power necessity is not supplied.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Fede87
    Fede87 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    @sri369but then you mean that the power of the PC could go beyond that provided by the charger?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Fede87 said:
    @sri369but then you mean that the power of the PC could go beyond that provided by the charger?
    Power of PC will anyways go beyond that the charger can supply (charger supplies only 135W or 180W based on region), and it will pull from battery too for that little extra as needed.

This is not what I am talking about. I use ThrottleStop, and undervolted to -0.125. I tried with -0.140 and it worked in normal use. But when I put on a heavy game, my system rebooted since the undervolt was too high when under load. This is what I am talking about - undervolting using 3rd party software like Throttlestop.

When it shuts down like this there is no way to determine cos it won't be temperature or throttling of processors. So, if you are undervolting, try reducing undervolt levels, or turning them off completely to determine if that's the issue.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • JackE
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @Raumaster >>>Only under gaming... pubg and wot i only play. >>>

Are you plugged in when it shuts down? Battery alone would be too much for battery to handle and it can automatically shutdown. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fede87

Tinkerer

Options
    ok tomorrow I'll try to hit the program !! thanks for the support
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    Not sure about the above responses.

I run PUBG optimized to all high by geforce experience with my GPU overclocked for 8 hours solid and my battery never drops below fully charged.

You could try limiting voltage sent to the GPU.
    I created a video on lessening voltages and increasing performance you may find useful.

https://youtu.be/nYW7ROFx2Kk
    - Hotel Hero
  • Raumaster

Tinkerer

Options
    sri369 said:
    @Raumaster
    Are you using any undervolting on CPU and/or GPU? When put under strain CPU/GPU can shut down when bare minimum voltage for that power necessity is not supplied.
    I tried undervolting at first because I thought the problem was too much heat. So the problem is coming with or without any undervolting. I am playing with the machine plugged in. Few times I tried playing world of tanks with the battery power only. No crashing happened then. FPS is only around 25-30 with batterypower... Maybe I should just reinstall the whole system? I have just updated every driver from acer site. Bios is updated also and windows also. Problem was there even before any updating....
  • Raumaster

Tinkerer

Options
    This is just pure speculation....I started with this laptop using my cheap microsoft wireless mouse-->the crashing occured right away and then acer warranty told me to update gpu drivers. It seemed to help on the crashing... By the same time i changed to my old corded mouse and no crashing happened for quite some time, so i thought the drivers were just the problem....a little while later the corded mouses' lead broke, so i had to go back to the wireless mouse. And now like magic the crashing is back. It's a long shot, but could the mouse/usb driver really cause the crashing??? 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Raumaster said:
    This is just pure speculation....I started with this laptop using my cheap microsoft wireless mouse-->the crashing occured right away and then acer warranty told me to update gpu drivers. It seemed to help on the crashing... By the same time i changed to my old corded mouse and no crashing happened for quite some time, so i thought the drivers were just the problem....a little while later the corded mouses' lead broke, so i had to go back to the wireless mouse. And now like magic the crashing is back. It's a long shot, but could the mouse/usb driver really cause the crashing??? 

Actually that's a good speculation.
    Try disabling hardware acceleration of the mouse in windows settings.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Raumaster

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok well....I am too anxious to have a working machine so I contacted acer warranty again, complaining the crashing issue and just recieved an approval that I can send it to be fixed. Lets hope they change the motherboard or something that at least there will be no hardware issues...
    I will report what they did when I get it back.
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    Raumaster said:
    Ok well....I am too anxious to have a working machine so I contacted acer warranty again, complaining the crashing issue and just recieved an approval that I can send it to be fixed. Lets hope they change the motherboard or something that at least there will be no hardware issues...
    I will report what they did when I get it back.

Ah well at least it will get fixed.
    So I'm guessing disabling hardware acceleration (mouse) didn't work?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Raumaster

Tinkerer

Options
    I dont know yet. Im at work now and the laptop is at home so havent had the chance to test it yet.
  • Fede87

Tinkerer

Options

I brought the pc in a computer center !! let's see if they can solve !! senno I will be forced to send it to acer !! my computer skills are too few and I would not create more damage than existent
  • Raumaster

Tinkerer

Options
    I do have a little of computers skills but the bottom line for me is that a GAMING laptop should work playing under reasonable load (mediocore graphic settings) And games that work steady on every other machine i have come across. Specifically I mean world of tanks. Never had any issues with this game and neither have my friends....
    I just dont have the time and interest to fight with problems that shouldn't exist in the first place. Since I still have warranty, I will use it. The problem will be someones elses problem :) Of course it might be a small glitch somewhere but I will let you guys know what acer did to it. Thanks for the quick responses though! +1: +1: Its good to know help is at hand if facing probs...
  • Raumaster

Tinkerer

Options
    Just to add something to the mix....I googled some issues concerning a small "button" under the ram cover...If not pressed down properly...the laptop shuts down/wont start etc... I not sure was this from the exact same model... I don't speak native english so i'm not 100% sure that I understood what I read. Can you tell me what is this mystery button? Some advice was to add small piece of electrical tape to it.......
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes @Raumaster  You are referring to the safety interlock switch on mainboards that are designed to cut power and protect the system when the case is opened. Many mainboards have this protection but aren't specifically identified in the service manuals. Sometimes an ill-fitting case will cause the switch to be activated and the machine shut off when pressure is applied to the KB, screen or touchpad. The fixes are usually simple involving tape and spacers so that the case applies enough pressure on the switch to keep it de-activated when assembled.  The links below describe the problem & fix. If you do have your machine serviced under warranty repair, make sure they are aware of this possibility. Jack E/NJ
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720

Jack E/NJ