G3-572 Acer Predator Helios 300 keeps crashing whenever I'm playing games.

Daed
Daed Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
The games I was playing when my laptop crashed were fortnite and league of legends. This happens consistently. My fans are on max. Is anyone getting the same issue or is it just me? The crashes crash the entire laptop and the screen goes black. I have to try a few times before the laptop is willing to turn on again and for some reason the time seems to mess up on my laptop after the crashes. Please help

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What CPU/GPU temperatures are you seeing? If much above 90°C, first try alternately vacuuming the air intakes and blowing thru the air exhausts to dislodge and remove any dust bunnies inside. And then keep the machine on a hard surface that won't interfere with these air vents.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Are you undervolting?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Daed
    Update- Not playing while plugged in seems to help with the crashes
  • Daed
    Red-Sand said:
    Are you undervolting?
    What is undervolting
  • JackE
    >>>Update- Not playing while plugged in seems to help with the crashes >>>

Yes, but what temperatures are you seeing? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Daed
    JackE said:

51-60
  • Daed
    Daed said:
    JackE said:

51-60
    I have my fans on max right now
  • JackE
    I mean the temperatures while you're playing fortnite or league before the crashes happen? Do you monitor temperatures at all when you're in these games? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Daed
    JackE said:
    I mean the temperatures while you're playing fortnite or league before the crashes happen? Do you monitor temperatures at all when you're in these games? Jack E/NJ
    I'm getting temperatures of 56-75 while playing
  • Daed
    Daed said:
    JackE said:
    I'm getting temperatures of 56-75 while playing
    I don't think it's overheating.. I've tried playing while the laptop is plugged in and while its' not charging. It doesn't seem to crash when I am not charging my laptop.
  • JackE
    >>>It doesn't seem to crash when I am not charging my laptop. >>>

This is why we need to see the temperatures when plugged in & charging just before a crash happens. The CPU and GPU are usually throttled when NOT plugged in, thus temperatures are lower and don't cause crashes. They are unthrottled when plugged in and charging, thus temperatures are higher and cause crashes. So please see temperatures when plugged in and charging while playing games. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Red-Sand
    You could also click your Start button then type "reliability history" and tell us what the error reads when your windows crashed.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Like @JackE and @Red-Sand said, high temps should only throttle the laptop... shutting down due to high temps is a rare case that could occur only when throttling doesn't help. It seems more like a software issue than a hardware issue in your case (taking a guess based on the history on this thread).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Daed
    Red-Sand said:
    You could also click your Start button then type "reliability history" and tell us what the error reads when your windows crashed.
    Under critical events I have 11 and all it says is that windows was not properly shutdown. Under warnings is a failed windows update. I think the windows was not properly shutdown appears when my laptop crashes.
  • Daed
    sri369 said:
    Like @JackE and @Red-Sand said, high temps should only throttle the laptop... shutting down due to high temps is a rare case that could occur only when throttling doesn't help. It seems more like a software issue than a hardware issue in your case (taking a guess based on the history on this thread).
    Then do you know anyway to fix this software issue? Thanks for the help everyone :)
  • Red-Sand
    edited July 2018
    Daed said:
    sri369 said:
    Then do you know anyway to fix this software issue? Thanks for the help everyone :)
    It's highly dependent on what you've done to your system.
    I suggest taking the time to reinstall Acers drivers for your model from their driver download page and see if it corrects.
    The hardware is made by Acer so custom drivers require Acers in order to operate properly.

Windows used to not auto update Acers custom drivers but the latest windows update force updated most of them.
    - Hotel Hero
  • JackE
    >>>Then do you know anyway to fix this software issue?>>>

Have you looked at what the temperatures are when plugged in & charging just before a crash happens. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Daed
    Red-Sand said:
    Daed said:
    sri369 said:
    It's highly dependent on what you've done to your system.
    I suggest taking the time to reinstall Acers drivers for your model from their driver download page and see if it corrects.
    The hardware is made by Acer so custom drivers require Acers in order to operate properly.

Windows used to not auto update Acers custom drivers but the latest windows update force updated most of them.
    How would I go about doing so? I'm on the drivers and manuals page but all I see are additional drivers and bios. I've tried updating the bios. It still crashes
  • Daed
    JackE said:
    >>>Then do you know anyway to fix this software issue?>>>

Have you looked at what the temperatures are when plugged in & charging just before a crash happens. Jack E/NJ

I can't really check just before a crash happens because I don't know when exactly the crash is going to happen.
  • JackE
    edited July 2018
    Before you make further software and driver modifications, what temperatures are you seeing plugged in and charging just before the crashes happen? Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/586151/#Comment_586151

Jack E/NJ