G3-572 Acer Predator Helios 300 keeps crashing whenever I'm playing games.

Options

Answers

• Raumaster
    Raumaster Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    yesterday I did the tape mod for that button and played WOT for 2+ hours with automatic fans. No problems what so ever... Could this really be the problem.... I also put the mouse hardware acceleration off though....
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Well then. Turn the acceleration on and see. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Raumaster

Tinkerer

Options
    I think i'll do that. I will send it to warranty service anyway next week. I want to be sure that the machine is working. Who knows that if they can't find any problems, they will give me an new machine...I doubt that but my friend did get a new laptop in a similar situation :)
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    If you find that the switch is causing the issue then I suggest informing Acer so they can address it without the need of tape.
    There's no reason you should have to do something like that for a brand new system.
    - Hotel Hero
  • JackE
    Options
    Agreed. But it seems a few folks have had issues if the warranty service provider finds out the case has been opened. So be careful, remove the tape/spacers, and just let them know of the issue described in the links that I posted earlier. Better yet, if the accelerator issue seems to be resolved with the tape and it was my machine, I'd probably just leave well enough alone for now, enjoy the machine for now, and worry about it later in the warranty period if it happens again. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Raumaster

Tinkerer

Options
    Just recived mine back from service. Motherboard was replaced. Havent had time to test it out yet though. Hope it works....
  • Unnecessery90
    Unnecessery90 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>It doesn't seem to crash when I am not charging my laptop. >>>

This is why we need to see the temperatures when plugged in & charging just before a crash happens. The CPU and GPU are usually throttled when NOT plugged in, thus temperatures are lower and don't cause crashes. They are unthrottled when plugged in and charging, thus temperatures are higher and cause crashes. So please see temperatures when plugged in and charging while playing games. Jack E/NJ
    I got the same problems now since 2 days, and hope this thread can be revived. I read your responses and didnt see any answers of the people that had those problems. I also played plugged in charger and unplugged and when not charging i dont get a problem and can play, when its plugged in and charging ,the game crashes after 5mins. temps get to 85-90°C just before it crashes. Unplugged it also gets to 80-85~ but no problems. I read the whole thread and tried all solutions, nothing helped so far. So i figured out in charging modus, there is some problem when playing a game.

• JackE
    Options
    Unnecessery90 >>>temps get to 85-90°C just before it crashes.>>>

Starts to get into critical state above about 94*C. So sounds like it getting there fast after reaching 90*C+. When plugged in under heavy gaming load, I suggest raising the laptop above a hard surface but no blocking the vents on the bottom to promote air flow.   And depending how long the machine's been used (ie, more than a year), I also suggest alternately vacuuming the intake ports and blowing into the exhaust ports a half dozen or so times to dislodge dust and debris that might've built up near the fan and heat sinks. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Unnecessery90

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Unnecessery90 >>>temps get to 85-90°C just before it crashes.>>>

Starts to get into critical state above about 94*C. So sounds like it getting there fast after reaching 90*C+. When plugged in under heavy gaming load, I suggest raising the laptop above a hard surface but no blocking the vents on the bottom to promote air flow.   And depending how long the machine's been used (ie, more than a year), I also suggest alternately vacuuming the intake ports and blowing into the exhaust ports a half dozen or so times to dislodge dust and debris that might've built up near the fan and heat sinks. Jack E/NJ 

Got it in the summer, june, and played all those  games without probs,which are crashing now... when im not plugged in and charging , i can play everything and jsut 2 months ago i could paly all those games during charging which are crashing now.
  • JackE
    Options
    You said earlier >>>It doesn't seem to crash when I am not charging my laptop. >>>
    Now you just said >>>which are crashing now... when im not plugged i>>>

Please explain. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Unnecessery90

Tinkerer

Options
    no, when im plugged in and charging it crashes after 5mins into the game.
    when i play from battery not plugged in, everything works fine. so the problem is somewhere in the modus the laptop goes into when the charger is plugged in. but a few months ago, i could play everything even while charging.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2018
    Options
    when i play from battery not plugged in, everything works fine. so the problem is somewhere in the modus the laptop goes into when the charger is plugged in. but a few months ago, i could play everything even while charging.
    In my opinion that is normal always let the battery charge to 100% before starting to play any games as the battery needs to be full to be able to kick in to support the power brick, if the power brick has to charge the battery and provide power to the cpu/gpu in high demand it won't have enough juice to do both at the same time so it will end up by crashing down i'm on a/c 24/7 never had any issues battery is always on 100%

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Unnecessery90

Tinkerer

Options
    xapim said:
    In my opinion that is normal always let the battery charge to 100% before starting to play any games as the battery needs to be full to be able to kick in to support the power brick, if the power brick has to charge the battery and provide power to the cpu/gpu in high demand it won't have enough juice to do both at the same time so it will end up by crashing down i'm on a/c 24/7 never had any issues battery is always on 100%
    so u are plugged in 24/7 and have no issues, but  for me its normal to crash when on ac. before i could play while charging. also, if i do so without plugging in while starting a game, i can only play 1h ,then stop to start charging again. that cant be the intention of acer
  • JackE
    Options
    xapim is probably correct. On battery alone the system is likely throttled so it stays on. When plugged in on a low charge battery, the charger can't keep up unthrottled and shuts down. When plugged in on a high charge battery, the system stays on till the battery gets low again because the charger can't keep up. You probably have the 135watt charger need the higher power 180 watt charger. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Unnecessery90

Tinkerer

Options
    Bummer, i just check i have the original which was sent with. ADP-180 mdk it provides 180w. also having 100% battery when i play and the moment he shuts down. really dont know what the problem is, acer said the machine is working as intended, and i still have the same issue. 2mins in a game while plugged in and it shuts off. i also realized, when i come back , the clock is still on the same time as when the shutdown happened and i have to set it up manually.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> the clock is still on the same time as when the shutdown happened and i have to set it up manually. >>>

You mean the system clock in the tray? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Unnecessery90

Tinkerer

Options
    yes, the time in  bottom right corner. i was trying destiny2, he shut down after 3mins in, then i went afk for 40 mins, tried starting when it was cooled down again, (he always reboots 5 times and shuts off immediately until he finally reboots) , and the time said the same as it was when the shut off happened, 40mins behind. had to set it in the options again.
  • JackE
    Options
    Unnecessery90 If games seem to run OK on battery alone, then I suggest changing Control Panel's power plan to Balanced instead high or max performance to see how that affects gaming performance vs. shutdowns while plugged in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Unnecessery90

Tinkerer

Options
    crashing againa fter 10mins at 80^C .. jsut read another forum and they said the onboard sound and realtek audio managers can collide with my nvidia and gpu drivers, idk much about all that stuff, but i looked into the reliability reports and realtek showed up as critical event before the crash. but that can also just be the info that the audio isnt available after it crashed, obviously..
  • JackE
    Options
    This crash happened on the Balanced power plan plugged in? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ