G3-572 Acer Predator Helios 300 keeps crashing whenever I'm playing games.

Options

Answers

• Daed
    Daed Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    Options
    JackE said:
    Before you make further software and driver modifications, what temperatures are you seeing plugged in and charging just before the crashes happen? Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/586151/#Comment_586151

I'm experiencing temperatures of 80-90 before it crashes.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,486 Trailblazer
    Options
    90°C should be OK under high game load when plugged in. Temperatures above 95°C may throttle, crash or shut down the machine. I would first try to experiment with your control panel's power options settings in high performance mode when plugged in to see how the games run and if you can reduce temperatures and crashes when plugged in. If this doesn't solve the plugged in problem then you can try cut CPU voltage by about .1volt (undervolting) by downloading and running Intel XTU or Trottlestop. A howto Throttlestop video is shown in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=K1srWgovdn8   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Daed said:
    JackE said:
    Before you make further software and driver modifications, what temperatures are you seeing plugged in and charging just before the crashes happen? Jack E/NJ

I'm experiencing temperatures of 80-90 before it crashes.
    G3-572 shouldn't be crashing at 80-90. Mine is a G3-572 and this temp was normal for me under heavy games before i undervolted. It never crashed.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Daed
    Options
    JackE said:

I am getting temperatures of 80-90 degrees just before the crashes
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Daed said:
    JackE said:

Try checking under event logs to see if you can gather any information from them.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Daed
    edited July 2018
    Options
    oops i thought i didnt send the comment
  • Daed
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Daed said:
    JackE said:

Try checking under event logs to see if you can gather any information from them.
    How do I check under event logs?
  • JackE
    Options
    Open Control Panel settings. Search "event logs" Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Daed
    Options
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel settings. Search "event logs" Jack E/NJ
    What exactly am I looking for? 
  • JackE
    Options
    Can you open the event logs? You're looking for events, for example, like where Windows was improperly or unexpectedly shut down. It may or may not describe what happened to cause the improper or unexpected (a crash is an unexpected) shutdown Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Daed
    Options
    JackE said:
    Can you open the event logs? You're looking for events, for example, like where Windows was improperly or unexpectedly shut down. It may or may not describe what happened to cause the improper or unexpected (a crash is an unexpected) shutdown Jack E/NJ
    So under critical I have one tab which states "Kernel-Power" event id 41 and its "log" is under system and has occurred a total of 28 times over the past 7 days.
    Under error I have "Perflib" event id 1008, its "log" is under application and has occurred 65 times over the past 7 days. There is also another one which is the "DistributedCOM" which "log" is under system as well and has occurred a total of 296 times over the past 7 days. 

Kernel-Power-The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Perflib-The Open Procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.
    DistributedCOM-The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
    {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
     and APPID 
    {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
     to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

These are just the ones that stood out. I can copy every single one down if you need so
  • JackE
    Options
    Do you log in to Windows as an administrator? If not or you're not sure, open Control Panel settings. Search user accounts. Find your login name and see if it's an administrative account. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Daed
    Options
    JackE said:
    Do you log in to Windows as an administrator? If not or you're not sure, open Control Panel settings. Search user accounts. Find your login name and see if it's an administrative account. Jack E/NJ

Yes, I am an administrator.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>It doesn't seem to crash when I am not charging my laptop. >>>

OK. Let's return to the power plan settings. Open Control Panel settings. Search "power". Then select edit power plan. What plan is the machine on now? What are its settings on battery alone & while plugged in? We probably want to change the plugged-in settings  to be almost the same as the battery-alone settings. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Daed
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>It doesn't seem to crash when I am not charging my laptop. >>>

OK. Let's return to the power plan settings. Open Control Panel settings. Search "power". Then select edit power plan. What plan is the machine on now? What are its settings on battery alone & while plugged in? We probably want to change the plugged-in settings  to be almost the same as the battery-alone settings. Jack E/NJ

• Daed
    Options
    JackE said:
    90°C should be OK under high game load when plugged in. Temperatures above 95°C may throttle, crash or shut down the machine. I would first try to experiment with your control panel's power options settings in high performance mode when plugged in to see how the games run and if you can reduce temperatures and crashes when plugged in. If this doesn't solve the plugged in problem then you can try cut CPU voltage by about .1volt (undervolting) by downloading and running Intel XTU or Trottlestop. A howto Throttlestop video is shown in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=K1srWgovdn8   Jack E/NJ

I've tried undervolting.. It still crashes
  • JackE
    Options
    Forget undervolting for the moment. Click on "change advanced power settings" in the above screenshot. What do you see? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Daed
    Options
    JackE said:
    Forget undervolting for the moment. Click on "change advanced power settings" in the above screenshot. What do you see? Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    Now click on processor power mgt. Then system cooling. What do you see there? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Daed
    Options
    JackE said:
    Now click on processor power mgt. Then system cooling. What do you see there? Jack E/NJ