Acer Aspire E15 keeps randomly shutting down even when I have a full battery charge

Options

Answers

• Mαze
    Mαze Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    Options
    I know the thread is referring to the ES 15 but I am referring to the other VX15 users in here...
    I do have the same issue as stated out by You all. I just noticed that the sudden shutdown occurs more often on battery usage (no power supply plugged in). 
    The temperature is definetly not the cause for myself. And my VX15 is actually brand new but I had the problems since the beginning. 
    Acer support told me to send my Notebook to their repair center but I am really not happy with that solution. I don't have a backup for this one anymore because I kicked out my old PC.

Is there really no better suggestion from acer? Because currently it seems more like a hardware issue.

Notebook: VX5-591G (Modelnr.: NH.GM4EG.009)
    BIOS: 1.06 (newest version)

Best regards
    Matthias
  • raven911
    raven911 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Solution:
    1. download and install the latest bios
    2. reset the battery - instructions here:  https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
  • Oleg8000
    Oleg8000 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    raven911 said:
    Solution:
    1. download and install the latest bios
    2. reset the battery - instructions here:  https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
    It did not help to me, still unexpected shutdowning.

Notebook: Nitro AN515-51
    BIOS: 1.10 (newest version)
  • Oleg8000
    Oleg8000 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    Options
    Seems it is not connected with workload in my case.
    Tried to drain battery by CPU benchmark (CPU-Z app) but could NOT reproduce unexpected shutdown. 
    Power mode: Best performance.
  • vixter12
    vixter12 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've had this laptop since Christmas (ES 15 model), and it just turns off for no reason... and this getting very frustrating... any advise Acer, or does it have to go back under warranty? (constant updates, is this normal?, I mean more than once a day). Also a Google Chrome "winner" today, why is this coming through the Norton Security?
    sorry for the multiple questions, and mild rant.. I also keep getting an electric shock from the cover, underneath the left hand side)
  • Mαze

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey again,

I just tried the reset of the battery (problem still exists).
    Out of a curiosity I tried to power on windows and push the reset button of the battery.
    The sound that was made by the reset is exactly the same as randomly appearing... So obviously it is the same case

Matthias
  • arnis_zogu
    arnis_zogu Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hello 

Hmm I have the same problem, I bought this laptop (Acer E 15 E5-575G-57D4) around 6 months ago from Amazon, yes if it isn't plugged in it could shut down any moment even if it is at 100%. I just used Adobe Photoshop and Ilustrator for graphic design and nothing more and it isn't overheated or anything just it shuts down, if anyone could help please.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    For those who have systems still under warranty, I suggest that get your machine's SNID on the case bottom.  Then click on the ACER service link at the bottom of this page. Choose your country. Then follow directions to get warranty service. Don't delay. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    edited January 2018
    Options
    vindictive666---Please send me a PM with the service center name & case numbers. Thanks. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    Thanks for that input Steve! Nice bit of detective work! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mαze

Tinkerer

Options
    SteveV said:
    was fustrating but I found what was causing it for me.
    On the motherboard behind the keyboard is a little button that detects if the keyboard is fully closed.
    When it lifts the power turns off.
    opposite it on the keyboard is a little pad. mine was indented with the button. When moving the button would get a little loose and the power would go off.

I cut a couple thin strips of electrical tape and covered the indent so it would resist more.
    Closed it back up and it is able to stay on while moving the laptop around.

I hope this helps someone else
    Hey SteveV,
    would You mind taking a picture for all of us which button You are referring? If possible I want to fix this issue by my own :)

Greetings...
    Matthias
  • BY1107
    BY1107 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I bought mine in February, 2017 and it has been shutting down and refuses to boot for ages. 
  • JackE
    Options
    BY1107>>>Arrange for ACER in-warranty service ASAP before it expires! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RockySparky
    RockySparky Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    I also have an Aspire E15 (E5-575) with the same problem of random shutoffs when on battery.  I have another clue:  I have found I don't have the problem as long as the laptop is sitting flat on a desk.  If the laptop is on my lap, or on a pile of papers, or I am moving it around, then I see the problem.  I have the most recent BIOS and I have reset the battery--these didn't fix things.  I expect SteveV might have found the problem.  I second the request that SteveV please post a picture to help us see this button that was the problem in his computer. 
  • RockySparky
    RockySparky Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    (Because I'm a newbie here, the Acer algorithm won't let me post pictures or links yet.)

I think I found the fix.  Following up on SteveV's post, I opened up the bottom of my Aspire E15.  I found the little button.  The button seems to be an interlock that shuts off the laptop when the bottom access cover is removed.  You can see the button in the middle of this picture. 
    (missing picture)

The inside of the bottom access cover has a square post that looks like it's supposed to keep the button pressed.  Here's what the square post looks like.
    (missing picture)

This Youtube video isn't mine, but it shows how to open and replace the back access cover, and you can see the little button.  The Youtube video is called "Acer Aspire E15 E5 575 521F RAM/Memory upgrade (E5-574-53QS)" 

I didn't add tape, but simply opening and reclosing the back access cover seems to have fixed the problem.  If the problem returns, I will add some tape so that the square post pushes a little more on the button.
  • Johns2018
    Johns2018 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I also am having this issue with the Aspire 3, the laptop isn't even 1 month old and it is restarting even if it is plugged in. Any help?
  • arnis_zogu
    arnis_zogu Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hey @RockySparky, I have the same problem, only when it is on my lap it shuts down, but can you post the photo where to find this button and what to do. You will help me a lot.
  • chongo228
    chongo228 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hey @RockySparky, I have the same problem, only when it is on my lap it shuts down, but can you post the photo where to find this button and what to do. You will help me a lot.
    I signed up on here just to help out with this post. This problem frustrated me soooo much. I contacted ACER 2 days after my warranty expired and got no help. I had removed my rear cover several times looking for the problem. Every time I would remove the rear panel the problem would get much better or much worse, so I knew I was moving something that affected the cause. 

Remove the cover- see the link posted several post up. The panel removed in the Youtube video is the one you want to remove. It is the panel on the back closest to the front (under the mouse/track pad). My computer had 3 screws holding this panel in. Once removed there is a small square cut out about 1/2 an inch across. If drew a line through the top of the laptop it would be under the Ctrl key (the one to the right of the space bar by the up, down, left, and right buttons). The button is very small and recessed in the little opening. It is next to one of the 3 screws that hold the cover on. I thought about tightening the screw next to it with would pull the cover tighter over the button but decided not to. The screws tighten into a threaded insert pressed into the plastic. If you tighten too much the insert will pull out of the plastic. Instead I added several layers of tap to the top of the foam that pushes the button down. Seems to have worked so far.

Acer warranty is a joke. 

This discussion has been closed.