Acer Aspire E15 keeps randomly shutting down even when I have a full battery charge

Options

Answers

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    Hi sneeringshrew,

Sorry to hear this, can you please PM me the serial number of your unit?

When did you purchase it?

Thanks,  
    Acer-Manny
  • sneeringshrew
    sneeringshrew Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi sneeringshrew,

Sorry to hear this, can you please PM me the serial number of your unit?

When did you purchase it?

Thanks,  
    Acer-Manny
    Just sent you the information + the case ID from when I contacted support about the problem.

Purchased it April 14, 2017
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Options
    Thanks, i will follow up with you soon sneeringshrew.

Acer-Manny
  • JinG10
    JinG10 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I also have the same problem! (Aspire E15) Although my battery is fully charged, but it will suddenly shut down without any warning. Sometimes this problem can happen 1-2 times within 5 minutes.
    I had sent my laptop to Acer service center few times and telling them about the problem that I had faced, yet the staff always told me there is no problem for my laptop but I still facing the same problem and this is quite annoying.
  • ibun
    ibun Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have the same problem. just bought this notebook for 3 months, and now having the issue. my info:
    E5-553G-f79r
    S/N: NXGEQSN003XXXXXXXXXXXX  please not i add the space my self for easier read.
    SNID: XXXXXXXXXXX

i need the computer for work, I could not send it to the service center at the moment.

What should i do ?? this is brand new computer....

[Edited post to removed un-allowed or personal content- Acer-Manny]
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Options
    Hi JinG10 - To what Service Center did you sent your unit?

ibun - Unfortunately sending the unit to your local service center will be the only solution at this point.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • Noton
    Noton Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Please check if you have the Fall Creators Update 1709 installed and undo the update and check if the system shows the same symptoms. To uninstall the update follow steps below, press Control + Alt + Delete. 2. Click Sign out  3. At the Sign In screen, hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen. 4.  Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart. 5. Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears. 6. Click Troubleshoot.
     7. Click Advanced options. 8. Click Go back to the previous version of Windows. 9. After rolling back, Windows 10 1709 will try to upgrade again, block it.
  • Lucca__87
    Lucca__87 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I have the same problem in my acer aspire 5 573g but i have no clue where the button that resets the battery is and how do i fix this. I have opened up and tightened everything up so many times now, I will neve buy an acer product ever again.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Lucca__87 There is no button to re-set the battery. You must open the laptop and physically disconnect the battery from the mainboard. If you're looking for the safety interlock switch, that's an entirely different issue than a battery re-set. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lucca__87
    Options
    JackE said:
    @Lucca__87 There is no button to re-set the battery. You must open the laptop and physically disconnect the battery from the mainboard. If you're looking for the safety interlock switch, that's an entirely different issue than a battery re-set. Jack E/NJ
    Maybe its this one. The laptop doesnt hold itself turned on for more than a few seconds. Yesterday it managed to stay turned on a whole day, but as soon as i closed it to sleep and tried to use it this morning it started happening again except even worse. When i was opening it i turned it on while it was upside down and it stayed turned on until i turned it around so i'm sure it must be a quick fix.
  • JackE
    Options
    @Lucca__87  Yep. Sounds like the safety interlock switch. Earlier in this long thread two people reported on fixes due to misaligned keyboard or case cover triggering the safety interlock switch(https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665)  or the battery reset switch (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720) . I think your problem is the first one with the safety interlock switch behind the keyboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lucca__87
    Options
    JackE said:
    @Lucca__87  Yep. Sounds like the safety interlock switch. Earlier in this long thread two people reported on fixes due to misaligned keyboard or case cover triggering the safety interlock switch(https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665)  or the battery reset switch (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720) . I think your problem is the first one with the safety interlock switch behind the keyboard. Jack E/NJ

I just can't find it for mine laptop.
  • JackE
    Options
    @Lucca__87   I suggest that you send a personal message to @SteveV   since he seemed to have a similar safety switch problem as your machine.    https://community.acer.com/en/profile/SteveV   Steve apparently didn't post an image of his system. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Nice4What
    Nice4What Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Also have this issue, but are people seriously expecting to manually tackle this issue by removing or adding bits of hardware to brand new machines?

ACER, after this laptop, if I don't return it, I am done with you!
  • JackE
    Options
    If it's still under warranty, of course not. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jugem
    jugem Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm surprised so many people are having same problem.  In my case, my model is Aspire3 A315-21-95KF. Symptom is exactly the same, Powered by cable or battery, it reboots itself without any error message or warning.  5/24/18 
  • JackE
    Options
    @jugem You may have a problem with a safety interlock switch on the mainboard. Here are two possible solutions.  Jack E/NJ
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720

Jack E/NJ

• DKeith
    DKeith Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    chongo228 said:
    Hey @RockySparky, I have the same problem, only when it is on my lap it shuts down, but can you post the photo where to find this button and what to do. You will help me a lot.
    I signed up on here just to help out with this post. This problem frustrated me soooo much. I contacted ACER 2 days after my warranty expired and got no help. I had removed my rear cover several times looking for the problem. Every time I would remove the rear panel the problem would get much better or much worse, so I knew I was moving something that affected the cause. 

Remove the cover- see the link posted several post up. The panel removed in the Youtube video is the one you want to remove. It is the panel on the back closest to the front (under the mouse/track pad). My computer had 3 screws holding this panel in. Once removed there is a small square cut out about 1/2 an inch across. If drew a line through the top of the laptop it would be under the Ctrl key (the one to the right of the space bar by the up, down, left, and right buttons). The button is very small and recessed in the little opening. It is next to one of the 3 screws that hold the cover on. I thought about tightening the screw next to it with would pull the cover tighter over the button but decided not to. The screws tighten into a threaded insert pressed into the plastic. If you tighten too much the insert will pull out of the plastic. Instead I added several layers of tap to the top of the foam that pushes the button down. Seems to have worked so far.

Acer warranty is a joke. 

I signed up just to say THANKS to you and others who figured out how to prevent my E15 from Amazon from constantly shutting down!  I now have a portable laptop.  That was frustrating for a long time.  Again...   Thanks!

• sneeringshrew
    sneeringshrew Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Has anyone had their E15 sent in for repair and successfully got it back with the problem fixed?

My laptop was returned to me about a week ago, from Acer repair, with a paper attached saying they replaced the mainboard and updated Bios. The laptop still randomly shuts off by itself. Customer support is suggesting a Bios reset (did this already!), a power reset, and a factory reset. I'm so frustrated :s 
  • JackE
    Options
    @DKeith Belated thanks for posting your experience and fix!

@sneeringshrew As others were advised to do in some of the other threads on this safety interlock problem, make double and triple sure that the warranty service request specifically refers to this possible interlock issue. It may help avoid the problem you experienced with an apparently failed warranty repair. I know you're frustrated, but I suggest that you click the ACER service link at the bottom of this page right now and arrange for another warranty repair service ASAP. Make double and triple sure that this thread on the interlock issue is referred to. Who knows? You might actually get lucky with a successful warranty repair the second time around.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.