Acer Aspire E15 keeps randomly shutting down even when I have a full battery charge

Options

Answers

• Whateverworks
    Whateverworks Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    Options
    DKeith said:
    chongo228 said:
    Hey @RockySparky, I have the same problem, only when it is on my lap it shuts down, but can you post the photo where to find this button and what to do. You will help me a lot.
    I signed up on here just to help out with this post. This problem frustrated me soooo much. I contacted ACER 2 days after my warranty expired and got no help. I had removed my rear cover several times looking for the problem. Every time I would remove the rear panel the problem would get much better or much worse, so I knew I was moving something that affected the cause. 

Remove the cover- see the link posted several post up. The panel removed in the Youtube video is the one you want to remove. It is the panel on the back closest to the front (under the mouse/track pad). My computer had 3 screws holding this panel in. Once removed there is a small square cut out about 1/2 an inch across. If drew a line through the top of the laptop it would be under the Ctrl key (the one to the right of the space bar by the up, down, left, and right buttons). The button is very small and recessed in the little opening. It is next to one of the 3 screws that hold the cover on. I thought about tightening the screw next to it with would pull the cover tighter over the button but decided not to. The screws tighten into a threaded insert pressed into the plastic. If you tighten too much the insert will pull out of the plastic. Instead I added several layers of tap to the top of the foam that pushes the button down. Seems to have worked so far.

Acer warranty is a joke. 

I signed up just to say THANKS to you and others who figured out how to prevent my E15 from Amazon from constantly shutting down!  I now have a portable laptop.  That was frustrating for a long time.  Again...   Thanks!

Ditto!!  Sorry, no more Acer for me!  I experienced this same issue "right out of the box" with my E15-576G.  I tried calling Acer's service center twice, but I was unable to understand either person due to their unusually poor english pronunciation and my hearing.  I then  navigated to their online service chat site, but kept getting cut off after trouble shooting for over 15 minutes with 3 different agents.  I then had to start all over with the next agent, and the next.  I finally gave up, but thankfully after lots of surfing I found this thread.  THANK YOU FOR THE FIX! 

There's no fixing my attitude with Acer though.  This is my second go-around with them - I spent HOURS trying to work with them after the hard drive failed on another Acer I recently bought.  They put me through hoops and hurdles insisting to troubleshoot it before I could send it back under warranty.  I'm still asking myself why I gave them a second chance.  Thus far, POOR products and POOR POOR service.  Never again...

• emiljs
    emiljs Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I've tried reading through the read but I'm not sure what the solution was. Is there any conslusion? I experience the same problem: random shudown while on battery. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options
    @emiljs If your machine's still under warranty then use it. And then make sure they know about the interlock switch problem. Refer them to this thread. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pta
    pta Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    What do you exactly mean by randomly shut down? When unplugged my E5-575-33RV just randomly powers off without any warning, just black screen. No BSOD no shutdown messages, nothing. Just like someone cuts power off.

This E5 come just from service and they updated the BIOS to latest version 1.32 and told that problem solved. However I am skeptic to this solution, because release notes about 1.32 didn't have any mention about this.

Before sending this out, it took 2 days before it died. Sometimes it died several times in a row just minutes or seconds in between. Now I have been using this for couple of hours without problem. It is hard to say if problem is really solved. Common to these problems is that you need to type something to cause problem to appear. I also feel that typing gently without your wrists leaning to laptop it never dies.

so... am I having the same problem as others or is this something new?

• JackE
    Options
    @pta As noted earlier, please arrange for a warranty repair at the service link at the bottom of this page ASAP. Make sure ACER warranty service is aware of the problem with the safety interlock switch. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• merveaylakilic
    merveaylakilic Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    ladies and gentemen,this is not ACER'S FAİLURE!!!! i was keeping saying the same things and blaming Acer,but that was related issue with your GRAPHİCS CARD-like Nvidia,Ati- just 2 days ago my laptop keeps shut down again and i realize that when Nvidia graphic card update drivers,it changes the settings to high quality,and now i changed all those to maximum performance and THERE WE GO READY FOR THE GAME!!! otherhand if your pc not shut down ,your graphic card explodes.........thanks god i prefer to shut down
  • Raees
    Raees Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hey guys,

Try the following and it might solve the issue. Worked for me. :) 
    1)Uninstall all the unwanted apps/software, chrome extension etc..
    2)Make sure you don't have two or more anti-viruses working simultaneously in your laptop.
    3)Most importantly, defragment your disks and optimize it. (I think this is what did the job for me).

Thanks.
    Let me know if it works.
  • Raees
    Raees Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Raees said:
    Hey guys,

Try the following and it might solve the issue. Worked for me. :) 
    1)Uninstall all the unwanted apps/software, chrome extension etc..
    2)Make sure you don't have two or more anti-viruses working simultaneously in your laptop.
    3)Most importantly, defragment your disks and optimize it. (I think this is what did the job for me).

Thanks.
    Let me know if it works.
    Also, keep your windows updated always. Never delay the updates.
  • VegasWhoa
    VegasWhoa Member Posts: 79 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    (Because I'm a newbie here, the Acer algorithm won't let me post pictures or links yet.)

I think I found the fix.  Following up on SteveV's post, I opened up the bottom of my Aspire E15.  I found the little button.  The button seems to be an interlock that shuts off the laptop when the bottom access cover is removed.  You can see the button in the middle of this picture. 
    (missing picture)

The inside of the bottom access cover has a square post that looks like it's supposed to keep the button pressed.  Here's what the square post looks like.
    (missing picture)

This Youtube video isn't mine, but it shows how to open and replace the back access cover, and you can see the little button.  The Youtube video is called "Acer Aspire E15 E5 575 521F RAM/Memory upgrade (E5-574-53QS)" 

I didn't add tape, but simply opening and reclosing the back access cover seems to have fixed the problem.  If the problem returns, I will add some tape so that the square post pushes a little more on the button.
    Is this black button in its own square/boxed off area when you take Off the ram cover?
  • JackE
    Options
    @VegasWhoa https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/550192/#Comment_550192    The cover has the square black pedestal next to the round pedestal. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    VegasWhoa Member Posts: 79 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    ItsTomi said:

Guys i think i just found the solution to our frustration!

https://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-R7-Randomly-Shuts-Itself-Off-A-Power-Shortage-Issue/m-p/142241#M103

I didn't try this yet, since i'm still at school - I'll let ya'll know if it actually helped

Link says page/post not found 

what was the solition
  • Lucidthoughts
    Lucidthoughts Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had the same problem and DID find a real solution. First, for me the problem really did not occur until the Windows Fall Creator edition update. The solution was a complete update of all of the outdated drivers. Unfortunately, the Acer Care Center identified only a handful of outdated drivers. After installing the Acer identified updates and also using Intel's driver updater, I still had the problem. Then I downloaded some "free" driver updater software to see what it had to say. It identified 20+ outdated drivers. Rather than manually trying to update each individual driver, I opted to pay about $30 for the automated update process. Less than an hour later, my Acer Aspire E5 was up an running again. Since that update I have drained the battery at least twice without any random shutdown.
    The reality is that this laptop has 100+ drivers on it. Microsoft Updates only looks at key ones, simply not being able to address the myriad of other drivers out that may need updating to avoid conflicts with newer software. The full driver update that I did eliminated these conflicts. In defense of Microsoft (but not Acer), I have two Acer E5's. The other one, slightly differently configured and slightly older, did not exhibit the random crash behavior. However, for good measure, i updated its drivers also. It had even more outdated drivers--yet they were not causing problems.
    I hope this helps.
  • JackE
    Options
    @Lucidthoughts Sounds good. So which driver updater software worked for you? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tmzdroid
    Tmzdroid Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This is a good free 3rd party  program for updating drivers just be sure to tick/untick any unwanted features when installing Ive recommended it many times on this Acer community forum. I personally use it to update drivers then uninstall when done.
    https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

• JackE
    Options
    Thanks @Tmzdroid I've used that one too with some success. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Alex007
    Alex007 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    This post pretty much has convinced me not to buy an ACER Aspire 5 Laptop. I see two months of posts here from various owners who have this same problem and are being told to send the computer in for warranty service.  Plus on a link in this post Acer says this is a know problem! I am sure that Acer is not going to pay the postage to ship this to them and then what to do without a laptop while they have it to maybe or maybe not repair. Very discouraging and shame on Acer for continuing a build that is a problem and making sure that the interlock switch on the battery door is properly aligned to not need "tape or a piece of rubber" to keep it engaged.

• derkallevombau
    derkallevombau Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2018
    Options
    SteveV said:
    was fustrating but I found what was causing it for me.
    On the motherboard behind the keyboard is a little button that detects if the keyboard is fully closed.
    When it lifts the power turns off.
    opposite it on the keyboard is a little pad. mine was indented with the button. When moving the button would get a little loose and the power would go off.

I cut a couple thin strips of electrical tape and covered the indent so it would resist more.
    Closed it back up and it is able to stay on while moving the laptop around.

I hope this helps someone else
    Thank you so much! I have an Acer TravelMate B117-M, it has the button and the pad you describe in the HDD bay and on the cover, respectively.
    I spent so much time investigating the reason for the sudden poweroffs. What a bad engineering job to use a spiky button and a soft pad to keep the button down, shame on you, Acer! And entirely unnecessary to have such an interlock at all!
  • Dfoster
    Dfoster Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Having shut down problem with acer travelmate.   Bought new within the last six months.  Should not be having problems.   Fully charged.  Happens when plugged in or not.  Making my work responsibilities very difficult.   Anyone find a solution?? 
This discussion has been closed.