Acer Aspire E15 keeps randomly shutting down even when I have a full battery charge

Options

Answers

• alaskap
    alaskap Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

Acer Aspire 5 15.6" Laptop - Black (Intel Core i7-8550U/256GB SSD/12GB RAM/Windows 10)

I got this in Feb and have always run it plugged in until recently but everytime I unplug it and try to use it unplugged, it randomly shuts down. Battery is always fully charged before and after shutdowns. Only way to get a response after shutdown is by pressing the power button which will reboot the computer! I have tried changing power options, upgraded the bios to no avail. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,547 Trailblazer
    Options
    @alaskap If it has a battery re-set pinhole on the bottom, press and hold the power button till the machine is completely shut off and remove the charger. Then press and hold a paper clip in the hole for about 10 seconds. Then let the machine rest for about 30 mins. Turn it back on without the charger. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• alaskap

Tinkerer

Options
    after close inspection on the bottom left side ie not charger side, there is a TINY pinhole with a tiny icon stamped beside it. the icon under a magnifying glass looks?? like a tiny battery. and you want me to stick a metal paperclip into my computer innards? WCGW?   :)
  • alaskap

Tinkerer

Options
    Hate to jinx it but battery re-set seems to have worked. No power off in several hours and it even went to sleep as ordered and woke up on demand w/o rebooting.

thanks JackE
  • alaskap

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Options
    @ JackE and as I was editing this msg, it shut down! and had to reboot... twice during the edit  :/
  • JackE
    Options
    Oh-oh. I bet you didn't knock on wood either. OK. Unless the battery is simply low from not having it plugged in, you gotta re-do the re-set. This time push the pin in for 60 seconds. Then let the battery rest again for about the same amount of time ~30 mins or so. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mech14
    mech14 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Made an account just to add one more report of this problem with an Acer Aspire E15. Mine started turning off arbitrarily within a year of getting it. I contacted Acer about it, put in a service order explaining the problem in detail - the exact problem that all the other people on here are reporting and that Acer is obviously aware of given the periodic posts by Acer-Manny on here - and sent my computer in for repair. They sent it back with a note saying they'd re-installed Windows. This is obviously a hardware problem, with the power to the motherboard cutting out. I know next to nothing about computers, and I could figure that out. I am absolutely disgusted with Acer's pitifully inadequate response to this obviously widespread problem. If your computer is still under warranty, sure, you can try sending it in, and I hope you get a better result than I did. I have no confidence in Acer anymore, though, either their products or their customer service.
  • alaskap

Tinkerer

Options
    for what its worth my windows event log says Ive had 14 critical shut down events in the last 2 months and the details are all similar as follows
    - System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
    EventID 41
    Version 6
    Level 1
    Task 63
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x8000400000000002
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2018-04-21T21:49:50.215990900Z
    EventRecordID 9965
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 8
    Channel System
    Computer LAPTOP-UEM6MKH8
    - Security
    [ UserID] S-1-5-18
    - EventData
    BugcheckCode 0
    BugcheckParameter1 0x0
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0x0
    BugcheckParameter4 0x0
    SleepInProgress 6
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0
    BootAppStatus 0
    Checkpoint 0
    ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
    SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 5
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
    BugcheckInfoFromEFI true
    CheckpointStatus 0

• alaskap

Tinkerer

Options
    here is a more recent one which talks about win 10 kernel power issues. there seems to be a mechanism to upload a bunch of win log files which would hel MS pinpoint the problem. my head is beginning to hurt  :/
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/pc-locks-up-kernel-power-event-id-41-task-63-ram/fc9e9203-3123-4e2a-b57f-44b2d6e3bd23

• JackE
    Options
    @alaskap  >>>have always run it plugged in until recently but everytime I unplug it and try to use it unplugged, it randomly shuts down. Battery is always fully charged before and after shutdowns.>>>my head is beginning to hurt

Yes. Microsoft answers almost alsways seem to cause more headaches than solving the problem. So back to the beginning. Do the shutdowns still seem to disappear by keeping it plugged in? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• alaskap

Tinkerer

Options
    it has never shuts down unexpectedly while plugged in
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Temporarily lower your power plan down a notch if its on high performance or balanced. Then modify the plan so that it never does anything (no sleep, no hibernation, no screen dimming, no nothing) whether or not it's plugged in. Then, when the battery monitor says it's fully charged and you're not at the computer for awhile, unplug the charger. See if it prematurely shuts off, checking the battery status every once and a while, but not doing much else. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• alaskap

Tinkerer

Options
    did above and 3 hrs w/o shut down, so maybe I should keep the minimal settings. I dont use them any way
  • Jeevan123
    Jeevan123 Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options
    Johns2018 said:
    I also am having this issue with the Aspire 3, the laptop isn't even 1 month old and it is restarting even if it is plugged in. Any help?
    Hi Johns
     If you System Restarted Randomly once a while working ,please follow this step to  make change in system properties
    1.System properties-->Advance setting-->Startup and  Recovery --> System failure--->Automatic Restart (Unchecked the Automatic Repair)
    ONCE AFTER  YOU UNCHECKED THE AUTOMATIC RESTART YOU WANT HAVE PROBLEM.

• Jeevan123
    Options
    Hey @RockySparky, I have the same problem, only when it is on my lap it shuts down, but can you post the photo where to find this button and what to do. You will help me a lot.
     Hi Arnis
    If you System Restarted Randomly once a while working ,please follow this step to  make change in system properties
    1.System properties-->Advance setting-->Startup and  Recovery --> System failure--->Automatic Restart (Unchecked the Automatic Repair)
  • Jeevan123
    Options
    Hi guys If you have problem on Random restart on Computer ... 
  • JackE
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @alaskap >>>I got this in Feb>>>>>>did above and 3 hrs w/o shut down, so maybe I should keep the minimal settings. I dont use them any way >>>

I'm guessing the battery alone can't deliver the goods on hiperf. However, it should be able to handle a balanced plan. If it doesn't cut it on balanced, try the pinhole reset one more time. Push the pin in for a minute. Then let the battery set for about ~30 mins. If it still gives you problems on the balanced plan, ACER should replace the battery under warranty. Jack E/NJ  PS: It's also a good idea to cycle the battery rather than leaving it charging in all the time. You may want to try doing this a few times with minimal settings to see if the battery performs better before having it replaced.

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    mech14 said:
    Made an account just to add one more report of this problem with an Acer Aspire E15. Mine started turning off arbitrarily within a year of getting it. I contacted Acer about it, put in a service order explaining the problem in detail - the exact problem that all the other people on here are reporting and that Acer is obviously aware of given the periodic posts by Acer-Manny on here - and sent my computer in for repair. They sent it back with a note saying they'd re-installed Windows. This is obviously a hardware problem, with the power to the motherboard cutting out. I know next to nothing about computers, and I could figure that out. I am absolutely disgusted with Acer's pitifully inadequate response to this obviously widespread problem. If your computer is still under warranty, sure, you can try sending it in, and I hope you get a better result than I did. I have no confidence in Acer anymore, though, either their products or their customer service.
    Hi mech14,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Acer Aspire E15 and warranty process. Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• sneeringshrew
    sneeringshrew Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    My heart stopped when I saw this thread. I'm experiencing the same thing with my Acer Aspire E15 as well. I got in contact with Acer technical support, and after I described the issue, I was told to try resetting my BIOS settings. I did this, and days later my laptop once again turns itself off randomly out of nowhere. I tried re-contacting Acer support to tell them I was still experiencing problems, only to be told my warranty had run out :'(
This discussion has been closed.