Acer Aspire E15 keeps randomly shutting down even when I have a full battery charge

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,540 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Backlight would also fade out just before it shuts down.>>>

How fast does the battery seem to charge back up to 100% when it's down to ~10%? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• buecker
    buecker Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    all these shutdowns this weekend was with it plugged in.  5 times in just the past 1.5 hrs.  100- 99%% battery even on the restart.
  • JackE
    Options
    That's bad. It should be serviced under the warranty. I suspect a bad battery or worse. Only 2 things I can suggest to limp along until you can send it back at a less inconvenient time is to (1) Try re-setting the battery through the pinhole if you haven't done so already. (2) Pop the back cover, disconnect the battery, and try to run it on the charger alone. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• buecker
    buecker Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  Already tried #1 and for number #2 disconnecting the battery was my very first test.  had another client that had a new Acer that didn't have the battery cable connected from the factory.
  • jalalnasser
    jalalnasser Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi hafsafathima,

I am sorry to hear that you having problems.

Can you please tell me what O.S. you have installed on the computer and what BIOS version you have?

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
    i have also same problem, ACER NITRO 5 - Win 10 Pro 64bit, if i left the laptop on battery without touching the keyboard it will not shutdown, but when i start using it for 2 minutes and the battery fully charged also it will shutdown without any warning, just off
  • JackE
    Options
    @jalalnasser--- It sounds like the bottom cover of your Nitro5 is not aligned properly with the battery reset button or the power interlock button on the mainboard. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• AXX5KcnK
    AXX5KcnK Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I bought a Acer Aspire E15 about 3 months ago, and for some reason it keeps randomly shutting down when it's not plugged in. Doesn't matter whether or not the battery is fully charged. Is this something past Acer users have experienced or do I need to take my laptop to a repair shop?

Hi! I made an account just to respond to this issue. I bought my laptop last August (2017). 

Like you, instead of "sleeping" my laptop shuts down and the only way to wake it back up was to hold the power button for ~40 sec and then press it again, briefly, once. (bonus temporary solution ^). But even with that mini-fix, it was annoying. And it had been happening since September, But, at first, it only occurred every once in a while. Now it happened every time my computer goes to sleep--even if only "asleep" for a few seconds. I looked online but the only solution I could find consisted of taking apart the laptop--something I'm, understandably, not comfortable with. 

So I talked to an acer chat person and he had a super easy solution. Full disclosure, I just got off the chat so it may not work. We'll see. 

Right click on the battery option in the taskbar. Select "Power Options". Select "Choosing what the power buttons do". Change the options to look like this: 

Make sure you hit "Save Changes" at the bottom. Then you should be set. Hopefully this is helpful! 
  • AlStorm
    AlStorm Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Thanks AlStorm! Please let us know how it works out for you. Jack E/NJ
    Can confirm - my acer is tape-fixable!
    No random power shut offs for 10 days. After addition of two layers of duct tape to the counter part of 'battery disconnect  button'.
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks Al. Duct tape proves again it can fix computer hardware problems! 8^) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pooscraper
    pooscraper Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Having the same problem as all others here. I have an Acer aspire e15, only 8 months old. Starts up for no reason with "ACER" on the screen.
    Doesn't seem to matter if it is on battery power or on mains.
  • sandesh25
    sandesh25 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have same problem it just one month old everything runs fine but while i am in laptop battery its goes off do you guys have any solution.
    i have window windown 10 home 64 and bios version insde corp. v1.18, 10/21/2016
  • JackE
    Options
    @sandesh25 There are at least 2 solutions posted in this thread which involve opening the case and applying tape to either a normally open or normally closed switch. Because you are still under warranty, you should either return the machine to the vendor for a replacement unit or refund,  or contact ACER NZ directly. Have your machine's SerialNumberID ready. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/NZ/content/support   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Iqbal55
    Iqbal55 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Johns2018 said:
    I also am having this issue with the Aspire 3, the laptop isn't even 1 month old and it is restarting even if it is plugged in. Any help?
    Try new window, donot reset but a new window would do that.
  • WillieF
    WillieF Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks to all the members that take the time to research problems. In regards to the random shutting down problem, thanks to the tip on padding the pedestal that touches the reset button. I took my panel off, and added three pieces of vinyl electrical tape to the top of the post. I originally was going to pad it with duct tape, but given that the original pads looks to be of rubber and non-conductive, i peeled off the duct tape i had originally put on and switched to the vinyl tape.  I hope three strips of it creates sufficient residual thickness to rid us of this pesky shutdown problem. Otherwise this has been a good laptop (Aspire E 15). If it doesn't work I'll be back to this thread. Otherwise, working good so far. thanks again for the solution.
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for posting your electrical tape results WillieF! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ems68
    ems68 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with my Aspire E5-552, randomly switches off on battery power and when plugged in to the mains.  Updated the BIOS to v1.10 and also tried the battery reset. Is opening up the laptop and taping the switch the only fix?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> Is opening up the laptop and taping the switch the only fix? >>>

Apparently yes in these situations. In some machines, the cover sometimes presses too hard against a normally-on switch and cuts power to the motherboard. In others, the cover sometimes doesn't press hard enough against a normally-off switch and also cuts power to the mainboard. In both situations, tape was used as a spacer to either prevent the cover from applying too much or too little pressure on these motherboard switches. If you're uncomfortable opening the laptop that's no longer under warranty, you could have a local repair shop or an ACER  repair center tackle your particular problem. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tomkrug57
    tomkrug57 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Same exact problem, bought my Acer Chromebook 15 a couple of weeks ago. It performed perfectly for about 10 days  Now it shuts itself down several times per hour  I tried the power wash a few days ago but no improvement  What now ?
  • JackE
    Options
    Return it to the vendor pronto. Try to get an exchange or refund. Warranty service takes longer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JohnAust
    JohnAust Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Acer Team - I am having same issue.  PC was purchased two months ago - Acer Aspire E5-523G-90QW
This discussion has been closed.