Acer Aspire E15 keeps randomly shutting down even when I have a full battery charge

dothornton20
dothornton20 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

I bought a Acer Aspire E15 about 3 months ago, and for some reason it keeps randomly shutting down when it's not plugged in. Doesn't matter whether or not the battery is fully charged. Is this something past Acer users have experienced or do I need to take my laptop to a repair shop?

Best Answer

• GianpaoloSc
    GianpaoloSc Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Ok. Today, after a year of fighting with what I though was a critical failure of Acer, I found one cause of the shut down problem. https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53615 .Acer laptops, specially the Aspires E15 have a "safe protocol" with the easy access panel... it prevents the laptop of runnig with battery if that panel is open. so, if the screws of the back of your laptop are not tight enough, and you are using your laptop without the charger, it can shut down the computer by interrupting the power supply... so, that was the solution for me. hope it helps

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Install a temparature monitoring program like HWmonitor or similar and check the temps, as it's a new laptop, I would suggest you to contact Acer support and try to get it fixed under warranty, it could be a hardware failure as well.

• ItsTomi
    ItsTomi Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

I have this exact same issue, same laptop model - it's not the temperatures

• Keithrw
    Keithrw Member Posts: 3 New User

I have the same problem with my computer shutting down.  It's frustrating and there seems to be no remedy.  

• ItsTomi

Tinkerer

I've actually narrowed the problem down - it happens mostly when the laptop is put in sleep mode and then is moved and opened after - within 2 minutes it shuts down with no message.

• ItsTomi

Tinkerer

Guys i think i just found the solution to our frustration!

https://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-R7-Randomly-Shuts-Itself-Off-A-Power-Shortage-Issue/m-p/142241#M103

I didn't try this yet, since i'm still at school - I'll let ya'll know if it actually helped

• ItsTomi

Tinkerer

Make sure to open up the user-accessible panel where the RAM sticks and HDD is located as there are two more screws to be fastened there!

• TMaggard82
    TMaggard82 Member Posts: 1 New User

I AM having the same issue with my labtop. Its only happen a couple of times but with it being a fairly new pc it souldnt be doing this. I haver also had it happen to me while it was plugged in.

• steve8625
    steve8625 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am having the same problem, i am returning this under warrenty. I don't get the screw thing under the computer.

• hafsafathima
    hafsafathima Member Posts: 2 New User
    hii....i have the same problem. Acer E 15 new laptop always switch off automatically.I repaire my laptop 2 times But still the same happening.What is the solution for this??

• hafsafathima
    hafsafathima Member Posts: 2 New User
    steve8625 said:

I am having the same problem, i am returning this under warrenty. I don't get the screw thing under the computer.

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi hafsafathima,

I am sorry to hear that you having problems.

Can you please tell me what O.S. you have installed on the computer and what BIOS version you have?

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • ryankellz
    ryankellz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi hafsafathima,

I am sorry to hear that you having problems.

Can you please tell me what O.S. you have installed on the computer and what BIOS version you have?

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
    Hi Manny,

I am having this problem too.  Purchased a new Aspire VX 15 in July 2017, and its randomly gone black for the second time a few minutes ago.  It's happened both times where it's recently been on battery (disconnected from power).  I have Bios version V1.06 07/07/2017.  Is this fully up to date?  Please help, seems to be a widespread problem.  

Very inconvenient losing everything you were working on, with no remedy or signal that it's about to shut off.
  • chinhvo
    chinhvo Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have aspire vx 15 - bought it new very recently. It is shut down on me very often lately. What should I do Acer-Manny?
  • MightyMaxCro
    MightyMaxCro Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same problem here. I have an Acer Aspire VX 15, Core i7 7700HQ, 128GBSSD+1TBHDD, 1050Ti, 8GB RAM...
    The laptop just randomly shuts down when on battery power. My BIOS revision is V1.06, and the OS is Win 10 Pro. 
    The laptop is 3 months old, and i do not game on it very much, but i do use it a lot. Still, Acer brand is a total disappointment for several reasons. 
    When i bought VX15 it came with several dead pixels, and with a keypad that had a broken key. They exchanged it and i got another VX15. Now this one has a problem with the battery. This whole situation is a total inconvenience and i would NEVER buy Acer laptop again! Never!
    So, my question is... what to do with my VX15. At this point i would love to throw it down the second floor window, but i did pay 1250€ for it, so i would love to get a model that works, and if that is not possible I would love to get my money back. My recommendation to anyone buying this particular model in Europe, stay away from this laptop! It is made from substandard parts. That is the only reasonable explanation. I had two of them, and they both had defects. I do not believe this is a coincidence
  • Fogged
    Fogged Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem...very irritating, very disappointing, and so far inexplicable. Why hasn't a clear cause and solution been suggested by Acer staff here?

My Aspire ES 15 was purchased five weeks ago. I have barely used it, unplugged from the mains...and the battery hasn't been less than 80% of full charge at any time. The laptop stays cool at all times, and rests permanently in a safe and stable position.

Every few hours, the screen goes black without any warning, then 'ACER' appears, and the computer is clearly restarting as if it had been instructed to. Needless to say, it has not been instructed to.

I am happy to believe this is a teething problem, owing to the computer being new. I have ensured all due updates have been added, and I don't know what else may be the reason. I had an Acer previously, and bought this one on the strength of my satisfaction with the old machine, until its failure after many long years of flawless service.

Fortunately I have not yet lost any vital information. I am not happy to think that I need to take care to save and store everything I do, because of an unpredictable flaw in my own new computer. I'll be glad to learn what Acer personnel can suggest is the cause, and the answer to this problem.

Still fogged.
  • Mac88
    Mac88 Member Posts: 2 New User
    My Aspire ES 15 is also doing the same for no reason Every few hours, the screen goes black without any warning, then 'ACER' appears, and restarts , can any of the acer staff here suggest what to do as this is very annoying ,
  • cbmorton
    cbmorton Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just started having the same issue today. Aspire E 15 a few months old running Windows 10. BIOS version/date V1.23 1/16/17. Turns off after 1-2 minutes.
  • Mac88
    Mac88 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Mac88 said:
    My Aspire ES 15 is also doing the same for no reason Every few hours, the screen goes black without any warning, then 'ACER' appears, and restarts , can any of the acer staff here suggest what to do as this is very annoying ,
    i keep getting email from acer ......no acer i dont want Acer BYOC App i want you to help fix the problem ive got with this laptop
  • ivanca
    ivanca Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited January 2018
    Having the very same problem; shuts down after a while.

Seems like the last 2 comments where posted today as well (January 4 2018); is this problem related to some update or something recent like such? Acer support pls explain/investigate.
  • Shinobu052
    Shinobu052 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same freakin problem, bought aspire e15 this dec 21 2017,

just happened, im aware that the battery was on 20% and then suddenly it shuts down, no 10% warning, just straight shutdown, and when i tried to push the power button, it didnt respond, it just powered up again after i plugged it,,,,,,whats happening acer? and one more thing, whenever i try to play five nights at freddy's it'll just straight freeze the screen, just sound and cursor moving but the warning intro isnt movin

This discussion has been closed.