Acer Aspire E15 keeps randomly shutting down even when I have a full battery charge

12345679»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    @Dfoster Looks like the poster just above your's found @SteveV 's solution to be the answer. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/604965/#Comment_604965   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fred_J
    Fred_J Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited October 2018
    I bought my ACER E15 in may 2017 , added 4 gigs of ram right after and everything was fine, until last week (0ctober 2018) and now the computer shuts down abruptly. No error message when it restarts.

It s running on Windows 10 Home OS Build 17134.345

What should I do ?

• JackE
    @Fred_J  Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Look for an automatic Win10update 1809 restore point on or after Oct 2. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GianpaoloSc
    GianpaoloSc Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Ok. Today, after a year of fighting with what I though was a critical failure of Acer, I found one cause of the shut down problem. https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53615 .Acer laptops, specially the Aspires E15 have a "safe protocol" with the easy access panel... it prevents the laptop of runnig with battery if that panel is open. so, if the screws of the back of your laptop are not tight enough, and you are using your laptop without the charger, it can shut down the computer by interrupting the power supply... so, that was the solution for me. hope it helps
  • JackE
    @GianpaoloSc Thanks for your report. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SRVapers
    SRVapers Member Posts: 7 New User
    edited November 2018
    Okay, so I've been having the same issue as everyone else here. One day about two months ago my laptop shut off randomly and that was the beginning of the end for me. The "reset-battery" button worked instantly once. Now the computer seems to work whenever it wants to, there really isn't much rhyme or reason to when it wants to turn on and work properly. Not even sure why I'm posting this because nobody seems to know a fix for the issue but here are some of the things I've gathered over the duration of this issue:

- Tried the "reset-battery" button about a million times, seems to be the only fix that SOMETIMES works.
    - Removed battery completely from motherboard along with the connector from AC power to motherboard.
    - Removed fan and completely blew out as much dust as I could.
    - Shuts off while on battery power and AC power.
    - The laptop shuts off randomly when its cold or hot.
    - A couple times it was on, I moved the laptop and it shut off.
    - During the time it does work, it will shut off but will be able to re-boot 3-5 times in the span of 2-3 hours before it stops working for anywhere in between a few hours and a few days.
    - Lately the laptop travels with me between two residences, at one it seems to work better. It will stay on longer (broke a record yesterday into today, around 36hrs powered on) at one house. It worked for 24 hours without an issue, I put it in the case, carried it completely level to where I was going, set it up and it worked another two hours and shut off and hasn't worked for about 5 hours.
    - The keyboard is broken so I use a USB keyboard. When the USB keyboard is plugged in, I use the reset-battery button WITH AC power, the USB keyboard will NOT flash. When the laptop IS NOT plugged in and use the reset-battery button the keyboard WILL flash when the button is released.

I did just read through this whole thread and seen that people were using tape to fix this issue. I didn't notice any other buttons on my motherboard besides the reset button, but I will check again. And the model of laptop in the pics are different then my model. 
    I didn't update the bios or anything yet, but that didn't seem to work for anyone.

This laptop is about 2.5 years old and has been used heavily, mainly for gaming, streaming movies and internet use. But here are my specs:

Brand -Acer
    Series - Aspire E 15
    Model - E5-574G-52QU
    Operating System - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
    CPU - Intel Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz
    Memory - 8 GB DDR3L
    Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce 940M
  • SRVapers
    Ok. Today, after a year of fighting with what I though was a critical failure of Acer, I found one cause of the shut down problem. https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53615 .Acer laptops, specially the Aspires E15 have a "safe protocol" with the easy access panel... it prevents the laptop of runnig with battery if that panel is open. so, if the screws of the back of your laptop are not tight enough, and you are using your laptop without the charger, it can shut down the computer by interrupting the power supply... so, that was the solution for me. hope it helps
    My version of the E15 doesn't have the easy access panel, you have to take the whole back off.
  • JackE
    @SRVapers >>> I did just read through this whole thread and seen that people were using tape to fix this issue. I didn't notice any other buttons on my motherboard besides the reset button, but I will check again.>>>

The re-set button is the one you should be concerned with!!! It's likely being too easily activated when pressure is applied to the case from simply typing on the keyboard or using the touchpad . Several users solved the issue by stuffing a small piece of foam under the re-set button so it wouldn't be so easily activated. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• SRVapers
    JackE said:

The re-set button is the one you should be concerned with!!! It's likely being too easily activated when pressure is applied to the case from simply typing on the keyboard or using the touchpad . Several users solved the issue by stuffing a small piece of foam under the re-set button so it wouldn't be so easily activated. Jack E/NJ 

That actually makes sense, the button is raised up a little bit and has like a plastic tube that is around the button to keep you from  pressing a paperclip or something into the motherboard. I may try take the back off and maybe shave off some of the "tube" to see if that helps. But that does make sense because at home my desk is small so I set my USB keyboard ontop the laptop and here is where the laptop usually doesn't work. And the other day at my girlfriends house I used the laptop on the kitchen table and didn't set the keyboard on the laptop and it worked for over 24 hours. I'm going to tinker with it and will let you know if it works...
  • JackE
    Letting us know would be appreciated SRVapers

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SRVapers
    edited November 2018
    Pic of the reset-button (center of pic)

Took a pic to see if from pressing it so much I damaged the button and it was making contact without being pressed, but the button looks like its one piece.

The left hole is the reset button after being drilled and with the laptop assembled.

Just a pic of the inside.

Pic of the tube after being drilled and sanded down. (Middle hole, used to tbe the same size as the one of the left)
    Well, so far not much luck. I drilled out the hole from about 7/64'' to 1/8'' and shaved off maybe a little less than 1/16'' of the plastic tube. At first the PC turned on a couple times for about a second and sometimes 3-4 seconds and the activity light would be on but would flicker every so lightly like it wasn't getting enough juice. (The only way to get it to even attempt to turn on is hold the reset button for 5 seconds, no longer or shorter of a time, and then hit the power button)
    I'm almost positive the battery has charge because it's almost always plugged in when it is on. Now, after playing with it for awhile, It won't turn on but when I do try power it on the USB keyboard does flash for a second after hitting the power button.... So frustrating! I'm including some pics....
  • JackE
    >>>(The only way to get it to even attempt to turn on is hold the reset button for 5 seconds, no longer or shorter of a time, and then hit the power button)>>>

Excellent report SRVapers.! Thorough. This ***might*** suggest that the contacts inside the spring-loaded reset button itself are not making a good electrical connection after being released. Could be dirty or corroded set of contact points inside. How about trying to 'snap' clean them. That is, repeatedly pressing the reset button with a hard tool like your fingernail or paper clip, then sliding the tool off the button till the spring snaps it back up. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• SRVapers
    Update: A little while after my last post I got the laptop to turn on. I let it sit for about an hour and did the whole reset button for five seconds and it turned on perfectly and has been on for about a half hour now with no issues. Here's a few pictures of my event viewer with the top Warning and Error inputs. I haven't done any real PC repair/diagnostics since I was in college years ago so I'm pretty rusty. I don't think these pics will help but if anyone has any ideas or anything let me know and I can try give as much info as I can, I want to get to the root of the issues we're having just as much as everyone else in this thread.

• JackE
    What you're looking for as a source in the event logs is a "kernel power" notation after a random shutdown has happened. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SRVapers
    edited November 2018
    Well, have another update. Not long after my last post it shut off and got it to turn back on 3-4 times for about 5 mins each and now its dead again. It's acting the same way that it was before. Still at a loss. It has to be a bad connection somewhere.

Haven't had the back off the computer since I saw your post about cleaning the contacts by snap cleaning. When I press the button, it is still very "clicky" but not as much as it was when I first started using the button. Granted, I have pressed it probably thousands of times the last two months....    smh
  • SRVapers
    Oh, and after the shutdowns... maybe one out of every 10-15 I get it to turn on windows will open with Auto Repair. There's nothing really in there that would help my issue, I could let it run (if it stays on long enough) to check the HD but that's probably useless. And other then that, there is no other error messages what-so-ever. 
  • JackE
    @SRVapers >>>It has to be a bad connection somewhere.>>>after the shutdowns... maybe one out of every 10-15 I get it to turn on windows will open with Auto Repair.>>>

The event log should be reporting a Kernel Power issue after a random improper shutdown when it's restarted. It's acting like it was a proper shutdown. Perhaps it's randomly entering a sleep or hibernation mode not a shutdown. If fast boot is enabled, try disabling it in Control Panel's change what power buttons do. Otherwise, you might be on the right track with a bad mainboard connection. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shaggy
    Shaggy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Here’s how to solve the shutdown problem for good. Remove windows 10 and reinstall it with windows 7. It takes a bit of messing around to get all drivers in place but when you get it done, your computer will run much better and never shutdown. Win7 was the last stable windows. Anything above it is complete *****.
This discussion has been closed.