acer vn7-571g bios can't find any ssd or hdd or dvdrom

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options

OK. BIOS v1.16 seems to be undocumented. Some European users reported UEFI problems with it at least 3 years ago that were never satisfactorily resolved. But those users could at least see the internal disk drives to install Windows in legacy mode as a workaround, whereas you can't.

So your problem seems more than a BIOS firmware issue that might involve the internal drive bus hardware interface with the CPU. So give me some time to discuss this issue with some of the other community contributors to see what they think the next steps should be..

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    Options

The main problem that you have no matter what you do is that the 2.5" SATA-3 boot HDD is faulty and needs replacing, if you have valuable data on this HDD then get a professional data recovery tech to recover all your valuable data from this faulty mechanical HDD, Buy a new 2.5" SATA-3 SSD preferably a Samsung EVO type 2.5" SSD as they are the best and most durable 2.5" SSD drives around (I've used one as a Win-10 Pro boot drive on an old 12 years laptop for over 5 years) without any major problems. After, install Win-10 onto this new SSD drive with the Win-10 installation USB that you can download, and if you intend using/keeping this laptop then I would strongly suggest that you upgrade the ram to 16GB max total at 2x 8GB DDR3-1600 • CL=11 • NON-ECC • SODIMM • 204-pin • 1.35V • 2Rx8 • PC3-12800 type ram kit to run in Dual Channel mode.

After, make sure that all windows updates are up to date and also install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant to get all the Intel latest drivers including the last graphics driver for the Intel HD 5500 graphics and also update the NVidia graphics for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M last driver the Version: 528.02 WHQL, After doing all this update the bios for the Aspire VN7-571G to the last Acer bios Version:1.14 dated 2015/03/20 titled Update KBC to V1.17. If you do all this your laptop will perform at least 100% better and quicker and perfectly.

• Majekaz
    Majekaz Member Posts: 110 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

I have 2 m.2, 2 2.5mm ssd and 1 2.5mm hdd, non of then appearing on bios. How do i need to install windows in to nothing?

• JackE
    Options

Majekaz

I'm still awaiting more comments on this issue from other users.

While it's possible that the undocumented BIOS v1.16 firmware might be the cause, a coincidental drive bus hardware failure is also possible. Since Windows apparently can't be installed in either UEFI or Legacy mode in which the BIOS cannot detect any internal drives, the machine is virtually bricked already even though you still have graphics output.

So if you want try to flash the BIOS to the documented v1.14, I can try to walk you through the FN+ESC USB flash process. In my experience, this method fails about 75% of the time resulting in a completely bricked machine with no video output. Do you want to try this now before hearing from any of the other users?

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

Yes please. I have macbook now, so i cant unzip .exe files

• JackE
    Options

>>>Yes please. I have macbook now, so i cant unzip .exe files>>>

What unzipper does the Mac use? The unzipped EXE files are themselves self-extracting to yield the BIOS binary files that you need. Otherwise you must find a Windows machine or an emulator to do this unzipping

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

I seen video before, extracting .exe file and pick 2 files from it. I have fat32 usb flash, is it alright for this bios trick?

• JackE
    Options

OK. @egydiocoelho thinks your mainboard might've been replaced since new. He also mentioned a new BIOS update v1.19 zip file that has not yet appeared on the download site. You can download it here. https://global-download.acer.com/SupportFiles/Files/Firmware/Update/VN7-571_BIOS_119.zip

However, unlike v1.14, the v1.19 BIOS should be run as a wBIOS.bat batch file from the DOS environment to avoid possible FN+ESC complications. This may be possible by first booting to the USB stick to the command prompt. Then try to run the wBIOS.bat batch file from another USB stick or possibly a subdirectory with the batch file along with the companion binaries and EXE files on the boot stick. The two relevant self-extracting files used in the batch file are TKBI0119.EXE and TKBI0119-BW.EXE. The first is for the Intel Haswell CPU. The second is for the Broadwell CPU. The batch file, if it runs, should detect which CPU you have and install the firmware.

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

Is it enough to have fat32 usb flash or i need to do something else with this usb stick?

• JackE
    Options

A FAT32 stick should be OK.

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    edited January 2023
    Options

so i need to unzip this update and pick TKBI0119-BE.exe , TKBI0119.exe and wBIOS.bat? And put in to usb stick?

• JackE
    Options

These are the DOS flash files that need to go on the USB stick. They result from first unzipping the zip file. Then running the first self-extracting TKBI0119.EXE .file after unzipping. This is why you may need a Windows machne to run the self-extracting TKBI0119.EXE. Once these files are on a USB stick, then we try to run wBIOS.bat from the command prompt to try to flash the BIOS.

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

Okay, I put these files already. What I need to write on to cmd?

• JackE
    edited January 2023
    Options

Can you still get to the X : \~\ > _ command prompt on the VN7 by booting from the USB installation stick?

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

Im here right now

• JackE
    Options

OK. Now replace the boot stick with the batch file stick. Then enter 'dir'. Please post photo of result.

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

Here you are

• JackE
    Options

No good. It didn't detect change USB sticks.

Can you make a separate folder on the boot disk and copy the batch files to this folder?

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

I'm doing now

• Majekaz
    Options

I got exactly same files like in the picture