acer vn7-571g bios can't find any ssd or hdd or dvdrom

Options
Majekaz
Majekaz Member Posts: 110 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited January 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hi,

I had windows update and laptop got blue screen of death. After this my bios can't detect any m.2, any ssd or hdd, not even dvd-rom. I assume somethings happen with bios?

I have for now my wife's MacBook. Can I reset or reinstall bios with MacBook. I don't have any windows machine right now.

Thank you for the help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options

Press F2 on startup to enter BIOS menu. Post phone photo of BIOS INFORMATION tab.

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    edited January 2023
    Options

I found info that sometimes windows update pushing some bios things. Is it possible reason why it doesn't work?

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

• JackE
    Options

The BIOS seems OK. But drives are either not properly connected or not getting power.

Press F9 to load defaults to see if they re-appear. If not, press F10 to save defaults. Then shut down again. Then turn it back on again to re-enter the BIOS to see if they now appear.

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

I tried this but still nothing. Is one cable connecting 2.5mm hdd. If connecting that hdd, line HDD1 appear but still shows NONE. If disconnecting that hdd, line with HDD1 disappearing. It looks like bios recognising something but don't know exactly what kind is that. Looks like bios not able to recognise any internal things but external still working.

I assume I need to reinstall/update bios but can't found any info how to do without windows. I have fat32 usb flash and bios able to see it, but how to install from it?

I find a video how to flash bios but with my bios update I can't find a file called insydeflash.exe

• JackE
    edited January 2023
    Options

>>>I assume I need to reinstall/update bios but can't found any info how to do without windows.>>>>

NO! The BIOS is still functional and you risk bricking the machine with no video at trying to flash it. Windows updates no longer touch the BIOS firmware.

You seem to have a hardware issue either with the m2, HDD, DVD or possibly the bus. Try this. Remove the screw holding the DVD tray and pull it out. Then disconnect the HDD. Then see if the BIOS INFORMATION tab recognizes the m2. If not, then disconnect the m2 and reconnect the HDD to see if the HDD is recognized.

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    edited January 2023
    Options

Please see attached. Now only 2.5mm connected. Bios able to see external drives (usb flash) so i still able to turn on cmd.

• JackE
    Options

OK. Boot from USB with the 2.5" HDD connected. Then go to the X : \~\ >_ command prompt. Enter 'diskpart'. At the diskpart prompt, enter 'list disk'. Then enter 'list volume'. Post phone photo of result if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

Only usb flash appears

• JackE
    Options

OK. Now please post a phone photo the the BIOS BOOT tab.

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

Same things.

• JackE
    edited January 2023
    Options

Do you recall how long ago the BIOS was updated? Or was this the original factory installed BIOS?

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

As far as I remember, it's a factory bios. Never did update

• Majekaz
    Options

Is it any sata drivers able to messed up in bios? I just thinking because dvd-rom, m.2 and 2.5mm running on sata.

• JackE
    Options

A few more questions.

1. When you press Ctrl+S in any of the BIOS tabs, are any hidden options revealed?
    2. Please post phone photos of BIOS Main and Advanced (if it exists) tabs if possible?
    3. Did this laptop originally have factory-Linux installed instead of Windows?

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

Ctrl+s doesn't work, dont have advance option and originally was windows

• JackE
    Options

That's OK. I just wanted to see it was AHCI SATA mode. This is what it should be. Did this laptop come with factory installed Linux or Windows when you acquired it?

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

windows was with this laptop

• JackE
    Options

Click this link. Choose your country. Click the support link near the top of your country page. Click the link for 'Drivers & Manuals'. Enter your model number 'VN7-571G' . What BIOS firmware version numbers do you find for your laptop?

Jack E/NJ

• Majekaz
    Options

Only these. Newest is 1.14 but i have 1.16.

• JackE
    Options

Do you have any label on your laptop or the box that it originally came in to indicate the full model number is as shown below?

NG-VN7-571G- 57X8

Jack E/NJ