Duel boot Aspire es13-332-c5kn

Options
123457»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    Thanks for comments. Secure boot is already disabled in the OP's BIOS menu. I  posted an example menu in today's post so don't go by it. This thread is very ong with many suggestions have already been tried with the same result. The BIOS is locked into looking for the Windows EFI with no option to change the trusted EFI file. The BIOS can't find the Windows EFI because it's now a Ubuntu EFI on the EMMC. So we're now trying to re-install Linux with all secure boot settings erased and see if we can re-direct it's attention to the Ubuntu EFI

Jack E/NJ

• BND
    BND Member Posts: 72 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Ok sorry about that, too many posts and I missed some posts. I m gonna follow the situation.
    Just if it could help. In my case I bought an acer es1-132 with emmc 32g window 10, unable to change the bios to legacy. The goal for me was to install cloudready. The install of cloudready completily erase the emmc, I have lost the windows EFI partition and the recovery. I have lost all OS windows. It wouldn't have been a problem if at the boot I didn't have "no bootable device". To solve the problem.
    First I erased emmcblk0 then I installed ubuntu. At this step, no change when I boot.
    Then I applied the following steps. 
    sudo   umount  /dev/mmcblk0p1 
    sudo    mount  /dev/mmcblk0p1    /mnt

sudo mkdir  -p  /mnt/EFI/Microsoft/Boot    #creation of boot directory

sudo   ls  -ls  /mnt
    sudo   ls  -ls  /mnt/EFI
    sudo   ls  -ls  /mnt/EFI/ubuntu
    sudo   ls  -ls  /mnt/EFI/Microsoft
    sudo cp     /mnt/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi   /mnt/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    it works!

So to reach my goal of install cloudready, I started again nearly the same procedure. I reinstalled cloudready. Then I used a live USB of reFind. This live USB allows you to see the different efi files installed. I have identified the efi file of clouready and I applied nearly the same steps than just before in yellow here I replace according to the different directory (instead of ubuntu it was the name according to cloudready) and it works. That let you guess that if you want to install a dual boot, you can apply the same steps. Install the two OS you need and identifie the efi files. Install reFind on the linux OS then follow nearly the same steps

sudo   umount  /dev/mmcblk0p1 
    sudo    mount  /dev/mmcblk0p1    /mnt

sudo mkdir  -p  /mnt/EFI/Microsoft/Boot    #création du répertoire de boot

sudo   ls  -ls  /mnt
    sudo   ls  -ls  /mnt/EFI
    sudo   ls  -ls  /mnt/EFI/refind
    sudo   ls  -ls  /mnt/EFI/Microsoft
    sudo cp     /mnt/EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi   /mnt/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    You should see the refind menu allowing you to choose the OS you want to boot 

this solution I have applied wich works, is not my work, I found it on ubuntu french forum, the link I gave you 2 days before. It took me nearly two month before finding the solution. But once you understand, it's quite simple and take about 20 minutes to perform.
  • JackE
    edited January 2022
    Options
    OK. Thanks for posting this method. But first we want to see if the Linux re-install works with the secure boot setting erased because the EMMC has essentially already been wiped clean of Windows.  The goal is to break the apparent BIOS memory fixation on the Windows EFI. Once broken, the theory is that Windows can then be re-installed and Linux installed alongside Windows. Admittedly, we might ultimately go back to square one if the BIOS again reverts back to fixating on the Windows EFI. Then we'll know that this laptop can't be dual booted, the original goal, without a major mod to the factory BIOS firmware.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    66Drew66 Member Posts: 70 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Ive tried reinstalling Linux with the security settings disabled again, this has produced the same result. No Bootable Device.

Andy
  • JackE
    Options
    Don't change any settings in the BIOS. Try to re-install Windows again on the EMMC (without SSD).

If Windows succeeds where Linux continues to fail using the latest BIOS v1.19 firmware, I think Linux can only be installed with new BIOS firmware or in legacy mode if the legacy option is available on your machine.

Since the latest update is nearly 4 years old, I doubt ACER will release another anytime soon for this nearly 10-year-old design.    

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Options
    Thanks. What app would you recommend to  create the win10 usb.

The opnesive looked at either wont create a win10 usb in linux or dont work on linux.

Thanks
  • 66Drew66
    Options
    That should read Apps Ive looked at.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @66Drew66

You don't need special app for Win 10 USB. Just go to Microsoft site to download the latest Win 10 to a flash drive with their Medial Creation Tool, and the flash drive will be bootable. Don't even need the Rufus app.

I think your case can be concluded that dual boot cannot be done using EMMC. 
  • JackE
    Options
    The Microsoft USB creation installation tool at this link.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Options
    I've tried to reinstall win10. With the following screen shots.

If first option selected.

I get the message that this option can't be used and to remove media and restart windows.

If second option selected.

Disk 0 / 1 if I try to format I get the warnings about losing system data.
    This disk isn't big enough to hold win10.

Disk 0 / 2 cannot be formatted. No option to install win10.

I've never had so much trouble installing an operating system.

• JackE
    edited January 2022
    Options
    You can't use the upgrade option because you're not upgrading Windows. From the Win10 boot stick get to the command prompt. Then diskpart. Enter the following diskpart commands.

DISKPART>list disk
    DISKPART>select disk 0
    DISKPART> attributes disk clear readonly
    DISKPART> clean
    DISKPART> convert gpt

See if the custom installation stick likes this.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Options
    Ok.

Screen shot of responce.

So far so good.

• 66Drew66
    Options
    Win10 has installed and is up and running.

The hdd1 which was showing as frozen is now showing as clear.

I've cleared the security settings and reinstalled linux.

On restart its gone straight into win10.

So half way there. Lol
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry but this pretty much confirms the BIOS firmware is locked onto the Microsoft EFI file. As I mentioned earlier, if Windows succeeds where Linux continues to fail using the latest BIOS v1.19 firmware, I think Linux can only be installed with new BIOS firmware or in legacy mode if the legacy option is available on your machine. The only other possible option available without undocumented BIOS mods is Linux running as a guest under the Win10 host. Arguably the best VM freeware out there is VMWare's WorkStation Player ----IF--- it can be installed/fit on the hobbled EMMC chip.  I'm still using an earlier VMWarePlayer version to run Win98SE, WinXP, SuSE Linux annd Win7 all on the same laptop primarily to take advantage of software (and some peripheral hardware) that only run properly under earlier Windows and Linux systems.

Jack E/NJ

• BND
    BND Member Posts: 72 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hello,
    @66drew66, you are about to reach your goal, I suggest you to use reFind with your linux. Make a live usb of refind, boot on this live, you will be able to see the different efi files on your computer. Tell me if I'm right. If you're able to see these files, keep going on you're about to succeed. Keep me posted.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/REFInd
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. We've already accessed all the EFI files under ubuntu, boot & microsoft directories in the ESP partition. The BIOS chip flash memory is locked onto the Microsoft EFI as trusted and unable to be re-directed to grubx64 EFI  using ACER authorized methods.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Options
    Thanks for your help, I will try and install workstation.
  • JackE
    Options
    BND>>>shimx64.efi file to be certified and to be integrated inside the windows boot manager. Do I say something wrong>>>

Actually, the LinBootMgr is designed to integrate WinBootMgr inside itself in  the usual dual boot mode where the debian or grub efi menu shows up.

However, I have since found that some stubborn laptops require first installing Linux with secure boot disabled. Then, in order to force Linux to boot, secure boot must then be re-enabled to allow the linux efi trusted file to be selected and registered (or certified as you suggest) in the BIOS Security tab.

Once that's done, you can keep secure boot enabled,. Then reboot the machine and tap F12.The linux efi file finally shows up along with WinBootMgr in the F12 boot menu . It also finally shows up in the BIOS Boot tab which then allows you to change the boot order so either Win or Lin boots first. You and @66Drew66 might want to try it.

Jack E/NJ

• JackJames88
    JackJames88 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have an Acer Aspire es13-332-c5kn with Windows 10 Home and I want to install Ubuntu 16.04 on it.I want to install Ubuntu 16.04 on my Acer Aspire es13-332-c5kn.

To dual boot on an Aspire es13-332-c5kn, you will need to install two separate operating systems on your computer. This will allow you to choose between the two operating systems whenever you start up your computer. More information and updates astro prima live streaming free Keep in mind that you will need to partition your hard drive in order to dual boot.

Acer Aspire ES13-332-C5KN can boot either Windows 10 or Ubuntu 16.04.

This discussion has been closed.