Duel boot Aspire es13-332-c5kn

Answers

• 66Drew66
    66Drew66 Member Posts: 70 Troubleshooter

As requested
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    I don't think the Linux installation even sees that Windows is installed.

Go to the Windows elevated command prompt. Enter 'diskpart' At the diskpart prompt enter 'list disk' Post photo of result.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    As requested

• JackE
    Don't see anything?

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Ad requested
  • JackE
    Now please post a phone photo of your BIOS Boot tab again if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Boot menu.
  • JackE
    edited January 2022
    Try to move #6 up to #1 position.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    No thats not worked. Lol
  • JackE
    edited January 2022
    What do you mean?  That you can't change the boot order? Follow instructions on image posted. Move the up down arrow to select #6. Then press F5 or F6 to move it up or down the boot order.

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Ayyyyy, OK just loaded both Kali Linux and Windows 10 into separate partitions onto an Aspire with UEFI,  8GBmemory, and an Acer 500GB SSD drive (plug).
    On boot with F12 enabled and held in I now get this:

Two different operating systems on the same laptop. Now that you know that It can be done, what do you need in "how" ?

• JackE
    Yes. That's called installing Linux alongside Windows. Very common. The problem here is different. We have separate hardware drives HDD0 & HDD1, not just separate partitions on the same hard drive. Some Linux distros have issues on some machines with two or more internal hard drives, emmc chips or cards HDD0, HDD1 & HDD2.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    My aspire has 32gb of Emmc fixed to the main board. Which is of no use for anything as there isnt enough space to upgrade win10.This is where win10 is installed.

I've plugged in a 1tb ssd.

I'm very limited on the Bios options I can change. It's very restrictive.

I've tried to install lite and mint. Mint through up errors and lite and min't  don't show in the f12 boot options menu.

I've tried altering what bios I can, removing the security settings.
    Nothing works.

Does yours have the emmc chip.

Wondering if I format the emmc if tt will recognise an installation on the ssd.

I've tried option 1 and 3 on the linux instalation medium with no success.

I have a copy of AOMEI so that I can clone the emmc to the ssd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • JackE
    >>>No thats not worked. Lol>>>

Please answer my earlier question. What do you mean by this?  That you can't change the boot order? Follow instructions on image posted. Move the up down arrow to select #6. Then press F5 or F6 to move it up or down the boot order.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    I can change the boot order in the Bios using f6. I've repositioned the ssd so that it come before the windows boot manager, with the same result.

When it comes to loading grub is missing or ignored.

Which shows in the boot options menu when I press f12 there is no linux installation shown.

Don't know if its a problem with the Uefi file, something hard wired in to the board or emmc or if its a problem with the win10 installation.

Normaly I would rest Uefi to legacy but that option is not available. That option is grayed out in the Bios.

I've used Bcdedit to alter the settings in win10 but that's had no affect.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @66Drew66

I have no experiences with EMMC, so I haven't participated in the discussions of this thread so far. Assuming the 29 GB EMMC is for Windows and the 1 TB is for Linux.

However, I think you can try this:

1) Make sure secure boot is off/disable
    2) Do not install Linux side by side with Windows in one disk
    3) If there is SATA mode setting in BIOS, use AHCI if possible
    4) Use UEFI, not Legacy

When intalling, create your partitions manually, don't let the installer do it for you

1) Create new partition table in GPT for the 1 TB drive, that wipe clean the old Linux that did not work
    2)) Create a small 100 MB (you have created 512MB, up to you) FAT32 partition for UEFI as the first partition in the 1 TB drive ( drive 0)
    3)  Create second partition in EXT4 format in the 1 TB drive with capacity you want, as the root partition
    4) Create the remaining storage place in EXT4  for the Home partition

5) The most important part, I think is to specifically tell the installer to put the bootloader in the 100 MB ESP partition of the 1 TB drive where the Linux is to be installed, not in the UEFI of the Windows drive. We are talking about different UEFI partitions for different OS

This is based on most Debian and Arch based Linux distros, and asssuming EMMC will work like a regular HDD/SSD. Don't guarantee it will work for your Linux, but it did work for me in my desktops and laptops.

I really wonder if EMMC will work like RST/Optane, must be in RST/Optane SATA mode?

Hope this help.
  • JackE
    Boot back into Windows. Go to the elevated command prompt. Enter 'diskpart' again. Then enter the following diskpart commands.

(1) select disk 0
    (2) list volume

Post phone photo of result.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Thanks ttttt.

Ive already tried your suggestions.

The disk partition system shown is in preparation to clone the emmc drive.

Thing is that the restrictions in the bios stop me from 3) If there is SATA mode setting in BIOS, use AHCI if possible
     and i cant  alter Uefi to legacy.

Thanks

• 66Drew66
    Disk 0 volume list
  • 66Drew66
    Volume list disk 0 and disk 1

This discussion has been closed.