Duel boot Aspire es13-332-c5kn

Answers

• 66Drew66
    66Drew66 Member Posts: 70 Troubleshooter
    Yes I have the latest version of bios installed.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    The BIOS seems to be locked on to the EMMCs Windows EFI file without any options or hidden options (Ctrl+S) to force it to look at the SSD Grub EFI file.

So yes, I can suggest a few drastic somethings to try break the lock short of actually modding the BIOS. The first is a BIOS reset by actually removing the CMOS coin cell and shorting its mainboard terminals. The second is to remove the SSD and try to install Linux alone on the EMMC to see if it can break the BIOS lock or fixation on the Windows EFI file.

It's possible that once the BIOS lock on the Windows EFI is broken, it might then stay unlocked even if Windows is re-installed later on. 

Jack E/NJ

• BND
    BND Member Posts: 72 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hello,

I read the discussion quickly, however, I have used the following solution. According to me the solution would be to replace windows boot manager efi file (bootmgfw.efi) by the linux efi (grubx64.efi in my case) file, the rename it bootmgfw.efi. it works in my case. You will need a live usb linux and select the option try without install. Open a terminal.
    have a look to https://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=22344511#p22344511
    it's in french sorry 
    let me know if it help
  • JackE
    Thanks for input. The original goal was dual boot.

But the BIOS chip itself is currently locked on to the EMMC Windows efi which is needed for  dual boot. The correct dual boot EFI file structure is apparently installed but no option to force it to look at the grub efi. So the BIOS simply ignores grub efi and locks onto the Windows efi instead. My two latest recommendations are to either hard reset the BIOS chip to try to erase it's apparent memory lock on EMMC Windows efi or let the Linux install try to do it by installing Linux on the EMMC. 

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    On some machines it will be grayed out unless a supervisor password is set.
  • JackE
    Yes. The supervisor password is set. But still no trusted EFI file option appears---grayed out or otherwise---even with Ctrl+S. The way the BIOS firmware seems to be set up now, if the Windows efi is anywhere on the EMMC partition, it just locks on to it and ignores grub efi altogether. Short of modding the firmware or bombing the BIOS with a eeprom programmer, probably the safest bet is to let the Linux installer try to do it on the EMMC alone.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Ok. I've removed and shorted across the battery terminals and tried to install linux lite and mint.
    When I restart the system I get.

• JackE
    Does the EMMC still boot Windows OK by itself without SSD installed? If it does, we can try to overwrite its EFI partition again with the one created on the SSD.  I have a feeling though that the BIOS will again ignore grub.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    No I tried removing the ssd and installing linux side by side with win10. It just booted in to win10.

Then i over wrote win10 and installed linux to the emmc. No bootable drive.

I've also replaced the ssd and installed linux to that as well with the same result. No bootable drive.
  • padgett
    edited January 2022
    Does an additional command appear if you set the supervisor password ?

There must be a place to enter a new UEFI file. What is your BIOS file name and version ? What I am seeing is a problem with the BIOS file, Windows has nothing to do with it.

• 66Drew66
    Adjust usb strength v1.19 is the Bios version.
  • JackE
    We've been thru this before. The BIOS is apparently locked onto the Windows EFI trusted file with no option to change it. Can you see the EMMC partition from GPartEd on the USB stick?

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    I tried to use gparted on the live usb and got.

Emmc shows up in linux lite

In linux lite gparted

• JackE
    The BIOS is still looking for the Windows EFI file. Can you change the BIOS  Securty tab  options shown below? Because Linux install apparently can't.

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    Yes I have done that and it still comes up as no bootable device.
  • JackE
    Yes, I know. But did you disable them BEFORE you tried to install Linux?

Jack E/NJ

• 66Drew66
    No. I will double check the settings tomorrow and reinstall it. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
  • BND
    Hello, to avoid the "security boot fail" message, you have to disabled the secure boot in the bios boot tab.
  • padgett
    Keep this up and you will have a brick. Have you tried a F9 in the BIOS (restore defaults).
  • BND
    Another solution to explore that could fix the pb, is to use reFind with linux. That was one of the step I used in my case
This discussion has been closed.