Acer Extensa 215-52 Dual boot: Hard disk partitions not showing up on ubuntu installation

Options
12346»

Answers

• ZXD
    ZXD Member Posts: 60 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Ok, I have purchased the Samsung evo plus 250gb nvme pcie ssd. When I receive I will let you know the speed. Our primary goal was to make it dual boot. So we bought the SSD, which makes the hdd0 to be recognized by ubuntu installation. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Should be good as sda or HDD0. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    ZXD Member Posts: 60 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Hi @JackE
    Thanks for all the information you provided me throughout my search about the dual boot issue on my laptop. I would like to tell everyone that this laptop Acer Extensa 215-52 is able to dual boot now, but with the extra SSD. Cause the Linux or any other distributions require the first HDD0 [correct me if I am wrong]. And in this laptop HDD0 port is empty and assigned to M.2 port.
    So I had to purchase the SSD compatible with laptop to make this dual boot a success, which is extra cost for me.
    There should be a DISK on HDD0 port It should be hard disk on HDD0 port by default so that Linux can be installed without extra hardware, but don`t know why  Acer has made it like that.] 

• JackE
    Options
    Thanks for the report. The problem is likely that the Linux installer is not yet able handle the BIOS firmware that was primarily set up for Windows on this machine. So I think that either a firmware update is needed to allow the installer to recognize HDD1 or sdb as a bootable device or the installer needs an update to handle the existing BIOS firmware. Firmware changes have already been made on some but not all ACER models. Hopefully a firmware or installer update will be forthcoming soon. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Acer has released bios version 1.16. Does the same problem occur when updating the bios to version 1.16?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • saadman123456
    saadman123456 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    ZXD said:
    @JakcE There is no edit option of the drive. I just took this screenshot from the ubuntu 18 USB dual-booting wizard.
    Have your problem solved?
  • JackE
    Options

Yes but he had to add an m.2 SSD to the m.2 socket which is assigned HDD0 in the BIOS. As far as I know, many mainstream Linux distros still can't handle HDD1 installations but this may change soon.

Jack E/NJ

• saadman123456

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:

Yes but he had to add an m.2 SSD to the m.2 socket which is assigned HDD0 in the BIOS. As far as I know, many mainstream Linux distros still can't handle HDD1 installations but this may change soon.
    Yes, I have also same problem. ubuntu don't detect my hard drive. For this reason I have bought a m.2 nvme ssd. But now the problem is ubuntu detect my hdd0 port ssd but not hdd1 port hard drive. What should I do now? I have installed ubuntu in my ssd but I want ubuntu can detect my hard drive which is in my hdd1 port.
  • JackE
    Options
    If HDD1 (sdb) is displayed in the BIOS Information tab and sdb is also displayed in the output of entering 'sudo fdisk -l' ay the terminal command prompt, then you must first mount sdb in order for the file manager to see it.

Jack E/NJ

• saadman123456

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    If HDD1 (sdb) is displayed in the BIOS Information tab and sdb is also displayed in the output of entering 'sudo fdisk -l' ay the terminal command prompt, then you must first mount sdb in order for the file manager to see it.
    only my ssd is showing by entering 'sudo fdisk -l'. my hdd1 hard drive is not showing. What should I do now?
  • JackE
    Options
    If HDD1 does not appear in the BIOS Information tab, then it's not properly connected to the mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

• saadman123456

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    If HDD1 does not appear in the BIOS Information tab, then it's not properly connected to the mainboard.

In bios information tab my hdd1 is showing but ubuntu can't detect it. After booting if I suspend ubuntu and open, then ubuntu can detect my hard drive. Is there permanent solution for this?
  • JackE
    Options
    As mentioned earlier, you must first mount HDD1 or sdb. Depending on your Ubuntu distro, it sometimes doesn't do this automatically. Open the ubuntu gui start menu. Search 'file'. Click files or file manager.  Do you see HDD1 or sdb listed under devices? If yes, right click on it. There should be an option to 'mount' fot viewing its files or 'unmount' which you should get in the habit of doing just before shutting machine off

Jack E/NJ

• saadman123456

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    As mentioned earlier, you must first mount HDD1 or sdb. Depending on your Ubuntu distro, it sometimes doesn't do this automatically. Open the ubuntu gui start menu. Search 'file'. Click files or file manager.  Do you see HDD1 or sdb listed under devices? If yes, right click on it. There should be an option to 'mount' fot viewing its files or 'unmount' which you should get in the habit of doing just before shutting machine off
    In file manager there are showing only my ssd not my hdd. I am using acer extensa 215-52. I trying from 5 months to install ubuntu. But ubuntu installer can't find my hdd. Some days ago I read ZXD's problem. My problem is also same. For this reason I bought ssd and installed ubuntu in my ssd. During installation ubuntu detected my ssd but didn't detect my hdd. My hdd0 and 1 both are recognised by bios. but ubuntu detecting only one and that is my ssd. In file file manager only computer is showing that is my ssd and root file. My hdd is not showing. What should I do now?
  • JackE
    Options

Please start GPartEd. HDD0 or /dev/SDA will be displayed. Then click on the down arrow. HDD1 or /dev/SDB should be listed. Click on SDB. SDB should appear in the GPartEd Window. Right click on a SDB partition. Click 'mount'. Then see if FileManager now sees SDB.

Jack E/NJ

• saadman123456

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:

Please start GPartEd. HDD0 or /dev/SDA will be displayed. Then click on the down arrow. HDD1 or /dev/SDB should be listed. Click on SDB. SDB should appear in the GPartEd Window. Right click on a SDB partition. Click 'mount'. Then see if FileManager now sees SDB.

There is only one option and that is my ssd. After booting my laptop if I suspend. Then there is two option my hddo and hdd1
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the same issue occur when updating the bios to the latest version?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    edited July 2021
    Options
    >>>After booting my laptop if I suspend. Then there is two option my hddo and hdd1>>>

What installation distro iso are you using? Please post link to the iso you used. This is a common problem with some installation distros which requires the grub.conf file to be modified AFTER the installation has been completed. This is best resolved by first registering and posting the issue on the distro's forums BEFORE making any firmware changes because the system seems to be working OK. It's only that the trusted grubx64.efi boot file is  not properly configured.  

Jack E/NJ

• saadman123456

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:

There is only one option and that is my ssd. After booting my laptop if I suspend. Then there is two option my hddo and hdd1.
  • F0092
    F0092 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

@ZXD hey dude.........I have an Acer Extensa 215-52 and I am facing the exact same problem you went through. I couldn't read your whole conversation here as in this forum I can only see upto page 6. Did you fix that issue? Can you please help? I have been trying to fix it for over 7 months now and I almost had lost hope.