Acer Extensa 215-52 Dual boot: Hard disk partitions not showing up on ubuntu installation

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    The image below suggests you had earlier successfully installed ubuntu on sdb as ~4GB is about the right amount for a normal barebones installation. Did you try to put grubx64.efi ahead on WinBootManager in the BIOS Boot priority order?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    ZXD Member Posts: 60 Troubleshooter
    edited September 2020
    This image clicked right before clicking the  install now button. I have created the partition for ubuntu 200gb in windows disk management.

And yes it was success installing the ubuntu. But when I restarted computer the error came. Saying

Cat /process/modules fail to loas or see /dev/sdXY. (EXACT ERROR IN IMAGE) 

This time I did not add that file. 
  • JackE
    edited September 2020
    >>>>This time I did not add that file. >>>

Which file? grubx64.efi? I doubt WinBootMgr can handle dual booting any better.

Did you put grubx64.efi first in the BIOS boot priority order ahead of WinBootMgr? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    yes that grubx64.efi 
  • ZXD
    edited September 2020
    One question @JackE
    What causes the HDD partitions to show when we close and open the laptop screen? and why don't show on as it is? 
  • JackE
    edited September 2020
    The current LinpusInstaller version can't seem to handle this particular BIOS firmware correctly. As with most Linux installers, it'll likely eventually be fixed or ACER may release to firmware to correct it. But can't tell you when either of these fixes might happen.

I think the current firmware seems to favor a Windows installation on either HDD0 or HDD1. And I think grubx64.efi file has an error and is still looking for the ubuntu system on HDD0 sda4, not HDD1 sdb4. I still think if you can boot from a live USB to get to a terminal prompt, 'sudo boot-repair' command might fix the issue.

If boot-repair fails then I think there may be too many issues that the LinpusInstaller has with the current BIOS firmware on selecting the primary boot drive. Accordingly, you might want to consider dual booting from separate drives. Windows on HDD1 (sdb) 2.5" HDD drive. And Ubuntu on HDD0 (sda) m.2 SATA3. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    @JackE
    Thanks for the detailed clarification. 
    Is there any changes we can install ubuntu to HDD1 and make it working well? OR I am only left with SSD option?

• JackE
    >>>Is there any changes we can install ubuntu to HDD1 and make it working well? OR I am only left with SSD option?>>>

Yes,  I still think if you can boot from a live USB stick with the faulty ubuntu boot system on sdb4 (HDD1) , 'sudo boot-repair' command might fix the issue on sdb4 system. If it doesn't work, then consider the m.2 SSD option. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    Hi @JackE
    I need a favor. I am going to purchase NVM SSD. Can you please confirm this SSD is compatible with My Acer extensa 15 Ex 215-52?
    This is the link of ssd
    https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07MHXYL6T/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1 
  • JackE
    This model should support an m.2 nvme card but there are regional variations in the mainboard. For this reason, before your order, you must confirm that your m.2 mainboard socket has a single M-key that fits the card's M-key slot. If the mainboard socket has a B-key on the opposite side or has two keys (B & M) the nvme won't fit in the socket and you must then use a SATA3 card instead. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    There is single hole in pins. I saw the JSSD1 slot in my laptop.
  • JackE
    Should be OK. You can also find out if it supports full or half nvme card speed by downloading HWiNFO64 freeware. If the max link width on any PCIe root port is 4x, then it's full speed(~2GB/s). 2x max link width half-speed(~1GB/s). 1x SATA3 speed (~0.5GB/s).  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD

Are you talking about this image.? 
  • JackE
    Yes. Check link width on all root ports. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    There are only 2 PCI root port #9,#10. And the link width is only 1x on both ports. Is it really 1x only?  What does it mean? 
  • JackE
    It means you shouldn't pay extra for an NVME card since an SATA3 card will work just as fast. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    Can you please suggest the SATA 3 SSD? In Indian market? It will be very helpful for me. 
  • JackE
    Actually the Samsung 250GB nvme you found earlier is a pretty good price and should work fine in your laptop at SATA3 speeds. Samsung has a good reputation.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    Hi @JackE
    Thanks for the link and advice. my "max link speed" is 1X. so the speed will be much slower. 
    Do you think that changing the "SATA MODE" to AHCI will increase this speed, if i use the SSD with 3200MB/S Read, 3200mb/s Write? 
  • JackE
    SATA3 max speed is about 0.5GB/s or 500MB/s. Still a lot faster than your HDD. Changing BIOS modes shouldn't affect max bus speeds. If it was my machine and its  m.2 socket had a single M-key, I would probably still get the Samsung at the Amazon price since it has a RAM memory cache that can make it a bit faster and more robust than the cheaper RAMless m.2 cards. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ