Acer Extensa 215-52 Dual boot: Hard disk partitions not showing up on ubuntu installation

Answers

• ZXD
    ZXD Member Posts: 60 Troubleshooter
    @JackE you forgot that this is my issue. My hardrive is not showing and in the link you have shared, the partitions are there. So could not understand what you trying to say. Also I could not find any gparted application using in that link. Please. 
  • ZXD
    @egydiocoelho did you find time review the BIOS SETTINGS as you were asking for the same twice in the same thread. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    >>>My hardrive is not showing and in the link you have shared,>>>

Did you click on 'something else' when choosing a way to install with the LinpusInstaller? Are you saying that sdb is not showing in the 'something else' option? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    edited September 2020
    There was no option like "something else". I think this option will come if the hard drive is Recognisable. In the image all partitions are showing. But in may case NO PARTITIONS
  • Are you trying to install ubuntu 20.04 or 18.04?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ZXD
    I tried ubuntu 16,04, 18.04, 20.04, linux mint. But no luck
  • When you press ctrl + s on the main tab, can you upload some photos of the settings that appear? Also, go to advanced, storage device configuration and disable all sata ports, except the hdd sata port.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ZXD
    edited September 2020
    When I press crrl+s it show 2 options:
    1. SATA mode: (a. AHCI, b. Optane without RAID. ) 
    2. Touchpad mode. 

In storage configuration 2 option are there to enable/disabled
    1. HDD0
    2. HDD1

I tried disabling HDD0 but no luck. Did not tries HDD1 disabled option. 

Will this make sense? 
  • JackE
    Can you get to the terminal command prompt from the usb installation stick? If yes, enter 'sudo fdisk -l'. Is /dev/sdb listed now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    edited September 2020
    NO JackE it shows only /dev/loopx drives and /dev/sda
  • ZXD
    If I install extra SSD (in jssd1 jack,) will it shows the partitions then in ubuntu? @JackE @egydiocoelho
  • JackE
    >>>I have purchased this laptop yesterday.>>>

I think the problem is that HDD1 (or sdb) was originally configured to work with an optane card even though the card is not installed. Linux can't handle an optane system yet. So I think you have three choices. (1) Wipe the drive clean using a USB with diskpart or gparted with ACHI enabled. (2) Replace the old drive with a new drive and put the old drive aside since it still boots Win10. New HDDs are incredibly cheap these days (3) Return the machine to the vendor for a refund ASAP since it doesn't seem to meet your needs.

If it was mine, I'd choose #3 before the vendor's RMA period ends. Usually only a few weeks.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    edited September 2020
    It's Sunday (6sep 2020)Today. I received this laptop on 1 sep 2020. And they say in India if these 3 faults are there then they can replace it. And withi  7 days. 
    1. First power on failure
    2. Product on arrival found damaged
    3. Wrong shipment by AIL. 
    I don't have these failures. 

So I think I can't return this laptop. 

1st option I have tried . I have reinstalled windows 10 on AHCI mode changed in BIOS. And tried these ubuntu 16,18,20 linuxmint 20. But no luck. 

Only 2nd option is remaining. To change the HDD. I have 500 gb HDD from toshiba I think I an change with that but not sure about warranty. 

• ZXD
    Hey @JackE will the external CD/DVD ROM work for installation of ubuntu? 

Or if I install new SSD ON Jssd1 port will it show the partitons of any disk(HDD or SDD)?? 

Please reply. Thanks
  • JackE
    How much freespace did you make on the HDD for the Linux installation? In other words, how much did you shrink the Win10 C : \ partition to accomodate Linux? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    It was 200gb unallocated space in black color.
  • ZXD
    ZXD said:
    Hey @JackE will the external CD/DVD ROM work for installation of ubuntu? 

Or if I install new SSD ON Jssd1 port will it show the partitons of any disk(HDD or SDD)?? 

Please reply. Thanks
    Please consider this question? @JackE
  • JackE
    I don't think a DVD will help. Installing an m.2 SSD will probably solve the issue. But before you try that, you might want to make a live GParted USB stick to see if it can access the sdb so that you could format the freespace to EXT4. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    @JackE by saying "live GParted USB stick"  you means creating USB with GPT partitions in RUFUS like softwares? 
  • JackE
    No. Gparted might already be on the ubuntu installation USB stick. You can run it from the stick's ubuntu terminal or GUI. I believe the MintCinnamon stick has it. If not or you can't find it, you can make a gparted live boot stick at this link https://gparted.org/livecd.php. It's more flexible/powerful than diskpart and diskmgmt as It handles resizing all Windows and Linux partitions and formatting though I usually resize Windows for me freespace from inside Windows using diskmgmt.msc like you have already done. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ