If you are having issues with your Nvidia card, read this!! (Triton 500)

Options
Chucho
Chucho Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited January 2020 in Predator Laptops
Hello all!
I am creating this post as a guide, for those who are experiencing issues with the Nvidia graphic card, like:
  1. Graphic card is not detected by windows
  2. constantly game crash
I have made a lot of research on the web related to this because I had a lot of problems with my BRAND new laptop. And yes all the Acer predator Triton 500 laptops have this defect... but there is a solution without using the warranty hehe don't you worry!

There is a momentarily fix when the graphic card (Nvidia) is not detected. You need to rest the battery, using the small pinhole on the back of the laptop... But this will not fix the issue, it only will fix the windows, and the graphic card will be detected.. but this is a pain in the *****, because every time you have a crash, you need to do that. But during my research, I tested different guides or fixes and there is only one solution for this issue and you will be happy and play a lot of games without any issue, here are the steps:

1. First, you need to reinstall windows... Yes clear all the settings and data
  2. Then you need to update the BIOS, with the lasted update, try with all: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
  3. After the BIOS update, you need to stop the windows updates... sorry pal but if you want to play games without any issue, you need to do it. Here is a simple guide: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html
  4. You need to add the following registry entry:
Open registry editor.
Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers"
Make new entry called REG_QWORD (64-bit)
Edit that entry, type TdrDelay, and put value to 8 (hexadecimal)

And finally, you need to limit your FPS under the Nvidia control panel:
  1. Right-click on the desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel from the context menu. It may take a moment to open.
  2. Go to 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings.
  • Stay in the first tab (Global Settings) and locate the Max Frame Rate option under Settings.
  • Set to 120 FPS
  • I also limit the fps in each game

• This help me a lot!! before that, I was having crash every 5 to 30 min of gameplay on some games (The Witcher 1, GW2, MTG Arena) and now since I did all these steps, I have been able to play for hours without having any problems!! 

I hope this fix your issues, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. And please ACER, made an update or something to fix this easily.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
      Options
      Very interesting your discovery. It would be interesting to let you know in which version of windows you tested these modifications.
      Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
      Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
      Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
      Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
      Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
      For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
    • Chucho
      Options
      @egydiocoelho Is Windows 10 home, version 1903
    • XdxD
      XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
      Options
      Red-Sand said:
      If you follow the OP method you'll be fighting the tide as DCH will become the standard for all future Nvidia Driver updates.
      Mine is still a standard driver on 1909. It never got the problems as OP mentioned. So, how will I get the DCH variant of NVidia driver? I already have the DCH variant of Intel GPU though Device Manager (driver dated January, 2019 was pushed on top of standard driver and I then installed the generic one).
      Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
    • belik
      belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
      edited January 2020
      Options
      It has nothing with Nvidia driver it is a motherboard issue which Acer almost never bother to handle
      Users spend days of their time trying to solve it instead of gaming
      They just try to do a job which Acer must do 
      Unless Acer replace a motherboard with newer revision, nothing helps. You can try to reduce performance having it worse than $900 dollar Helios but this is not a right solution 
    • XdxD
      Options
      belik said:
      It has nothing with Nvidia driver it is a motherboard issue which Acer almost never bother to handle
      Users spend days of their time trying to solve it instead of gaming
      They just try to do a job which Acer must do 
      Unless Acer replace a motherboard with newer revision, nothing helps. You can try to reduce performance having it worse than $900 dollar Helios but this is not a right solution 
      Yup, I agree with you. Acer should do a recall program for affected models if they have found out it's a motherboard issue.
    • belik
      Options
      Ok and how users can push them to do it?
    • XdxD
      Options
      belik said:
      Maybe let them notice this post or let an Ace notify them.
    • belik
      Options
      XdxD said:
      belik said:
      I don't think it will work, there dozens persons here on forums and result is zero
      And I see similar behaviour on the another example with fans on helios 300, noone cares actually

The situation must be escalated and pushed somehow
    • Chucho
      edited January 2020
      Options
      Red-Sand said:
      It's not actually a "defect"... it's simply Windows updating the Nvidia GPU driver to "DCH" version rather than "Standard".
      So asking Acer to fix something they have no control of is running in circles.
      Welcome to PC gaming! Where Windows is run by old men and staying up to date is as important as updates! lol

You can skip all this jazz and go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/nvidia-control-panel/9nf8h0h7wmlt?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Install the DCH control panel from Windows and your GPU will reappear.
      If you follow the OP method you'll be fighting the tide as DCH will become the standard for all future Nvidia Driver updates.

YW.

Note: If you've followed the OP and reverted to the standard drivers manually you may have to wait a bit for Windows to push DCH back on you for the Windows App Control Panel to work again. Next time it "disappears" just install the DCH NVCP
      I tried that solution, but it will not fix the issue. The only way i was able to solve it, was to follow my steps.

belik said:
      XdxD said:
      belik said:
      I don't think it will work, there dozens persons here on forums and result is zero
      And I see similar behaviour on the another example with fans on helios 300, noone cares actually

The situation must be escalated and pushed somehow
      Indeed, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX about this issue, and I think this is a critical thing that they need to fix.. the only thing they do, if you use the warranty, is a fresh reset but it will not fix this (i did not use it, because a lot of people posted this on others threads). If you want a solution, please follow my steps and you will not get any video card bugs

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• vorob
      vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
      Options

What's your status? Still no black screens? Can you tell me please your gpu, cpu and manufacture date (it's on the bottom)

Also, did you try 144fps cap since it's a laptop default?
    • belik
      edited February 2020
      Options
      Only 3 words can fix the issue

XXXXXX

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]
    • belik
      Options
      andylb said:
      @belik and all others trying to do a work around for this issue. @Red-Sand is correct this is a Microsoft issue with Nvidia drivers and Control center and is appearing over a range of MOB’s and GPU’s used by laptop manufacturers., it has ZERO to do with Acer. Microsoft and Nvidia, in an attempt to remedy the situation, have jointly launched a New Control Center and new DCH drivers, available through Microsoft. When the new Control Center is installed all Nvidia Driver updates will be installed by Windows Update. Users I have talked to have reported that the crashing and disappearing GPU problem has disappeared 

Hi Andy, do you have any idea why it occurs only with Triton 500 among the whole lineup of Acer?
      Why is this model so special? 90% of Triton 500 users have this issue

• Chucho
      edited February 2020
      Options
      andylb said:
      @belik and all others trying to do a work around for this issue. @Red-Sand is correct this is a Microsoft issue with Nvidia drivers and Control center and is appearing over a range of MOB’s and GPU’s used by laptop manufacturers., it has ZERO to do with Acer. Microsoft and Nvidia, in an attempt to remedy the situation, have jointly launched a New Control Center and new DCH drivers, available through Microsoft. When the new Control Center is installed all Nvidia Driver updates will be installed by Windows Update. Users I have talked to have reported that the crashing and disappearing GPU problem has disappeared 

that control panel app doesn't work guys, I already tried... if you want to fix the issue, please follow my guide, that will fix all the issues related to the Nvidia driver or windows.

vorob said:

What's your status? Still no black screens? Can you tell me please your gpu, cpu and manufacture date (it's on the bottom)

Also, did you try 144fps cap since it's a laptop default?
      Working as expected, yes and is the same specs of all the Triton 500 
      I play my games in 120fps with dual monitor and I don't have any problem, please follow my guide and you will not have any problem.

Also, guys, I was able to update my windows and I play without any issue :) 
    • belik
      Options
      So am I correct that collaboration of Acer+Nvidia+Microsoft haven’t provided any solution as New Control Center and new DCH drivers don’t work 

And the only way is workaround from Chucho which is not a solution actually but just limitation of functionality of purchased good? This could be a good start point 
      =) 
    • Chucho
      Options
      belik said:
      So am I correct that collaboration of Acer+Nvidia+Microsoft haven’t provided any solution as New Control Center and new DCH drivers don’t work 

And the only way is workaround from Chucho which is not a solution actually but just limitation of functionality of purchased good? This could be a good start point  =) 
      indeed, it is a limitation on the FPS, but I still run the games in ultra graphics (i disable the shadows because I play a lot of MMORPG and is not good for PVP) and works great!! 
    • andylb
      andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
      edited February 2020
      Options
      belik said:
      andylb said:

Hi Andy, do you have any idea why it occurs only with Triton 500 among the whole lineup of Acer?
      Why is this model so special? 90% of Triton 500 users have this issue

@belik It indeed does seem a mess and they definitely haven’t got it right mate. The new Center and DCH Drivers were meant to fix this and even they are a problem. This problem has appeared over on the Nitro Forum as well but it seems that it is a bigger problem here

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
      Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• XdxD
      Options
      This is entirely NVidia's fault I think, as GTX 10 series cards don't have this issue. Mine's still a standard driver for 1050Ti on Windows 10 1909.
    • Raptorr
      Raptorr Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
      Just the clear up all the confusion surrounding this topic, what steps should one take to rectify the PT515-51 crashing problems?