If you are having issues with your Nvidia card, read this!! (Triton 500)

Options

Answers

• Chucho
    Chucho Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Raptorr said:
    Just the clear up all the confusion surrounding this topic, what steps should one take to rectify the PT515-51 crashing problems?

The ones that I added at the beginning of the discussion, please post your updates
  • vorob
    vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Guys, who had a black screen on Triton 500, you had it while sitting on an external screen or while on internal screen people also catch black screens?
  • Chucho
    Options
    vorob said:
    Guys, who had a black screen on Triton 500, you had it while sitting on an external screen or while on internal screen people also catch black screens?
    Well, most of the errors are when the users are playing games. What happens is that the Video card hardware is not detected and during that process, windows change the configuration to the integrated card and that causes a black screen momentarily.
    In my case, I have one external monitor connected via HDMI, but I don't think that is the problem. 
  • smileysmiley
    smileysmiley Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    It's not actually a "defect"... it's simply Windows updating the Nvidia GPU driver to "DCH" version rather than "Standard".
    So asking Acer to fix something they have no control of is running in circles.
    Welcome to PC gaming! Where Windows is run by old men and staying up to date is as important as updates! lol

You can skip all this jazz and go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/nvidia-control-panel/9nf8h0h7wmlt?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Install the DCH control panel from Windows and your GPU will reappear.
    If you follow the OP method you'll be fighting the tide as DCH will become the standard for all future Nvidia Driver updates.

YW.

Note: If you've followed the OP and reverted to the standard drivers manually you may have to wait a bit for Windows to push DCH back on you for the Windows App Control Panel to work again. Next time it "disappears" just install the DCH NVCP
    This worked for me. Installed the DCH control panel and limited my FPS to 120 under the Nvidia control panel as suggested by OP.
  • SimonRiley17
    SimonRiley17 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Options
    Chucho said:
    Hello all!
    I am creating this post as a guide, for those who are experiencing issues with the Nvidia graphic card, like:
    1. Graphic card is not detected by windows
    2. constantly game crash
    I have made a lot of research on the web related to this because I had a lot of problems with my BRAND new laptop. And yes all the Acer predator Triton 500 laptops have this defect... but there is a solution without using the warranty hehe don't you worry!

There is a momentarily fix when the graphic card (Nvidia) is not detected. You need to rest the battery, using the small pinhole on the back of the laptop... But this will not fix the issue, it only will fix the windows, and the graphic card will be detected.. but this is a pain in the *****, because every time you have a crash, you need to do that. But during my research, I tested different guides or fixes and there is only one solution for this issue and you will be happy and play a lot of games without any issue, here are the steps:

1. First, you need to reinstall windows... Yes clear all the settings and data
    2. Then you need to update the BIOS, with the lasted update, try with all: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    3. After the BIOS update, you need to stop the windows updates... sorry pal but if you want to play games without any issue, you need to do it. Here is a simple guide: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html
    4. You need to add the following registry entry:
    Open registry editor.
    Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers"
    Make new entry called REG_QWORD (64-bit)
    Edit that entry, type TdrDelay, and put value to 8 (hexadecimal)

And finally, you need to limit your FPS under the Nvidia control panel:
    1. Right-click on the desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel from the context menu. It may take a moment to open.
    2. Go to 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings.
    • Stay in the first tab (Global Settings) and locate the Max Frame Rate option under Settings.
    • Set to 120 FPS
  • I also limit the fps in each game

• This help me a lot!! before that, I was having crash every 5 to 30 min of gameplay on some games (The Witcher 1, GW2, MTG Arena) and now since I did all these steps, I have been able to play for hours without having any problems!! 

I hope this fix your issues, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. And please ACER, made an update or something to fix this easily.

Hello, plz can you help me with this?
    I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-52. BIOS version 1.24 and my graphique card is not working. It's a GTX 1060. (code 43 error)

Windows 1909, latest driver of the GPU.(442.74-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql)
    Do you think these steps can help me?
    I tried everything i now. i used DDU and some different method of uninstall. I CAME UP WITH NOTHING.
    Can these steps help me? because i think it's a windows update problem. 
    Thank you in advance.

N.B: The problem started when Geforce Expirence installed a new update.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    SimonRiley17 these steps are for T500 only if youre having code 43 try to use older drivers try a battery power drain followed by a bios setup defaults or backup everything you need and reset to stock recovery clean install if after still having issues its probably a hardware issue you should send it back if still on warranty if out of warranty either get it diagnosed or try to get a donor mobo (really expensive probably much more than getting a new one)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• LizzardWizzard
    LizzardWizzard Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    Heyhey Chucho and all,

Having the same problem with my triton 500 and rtx 2060. have been trying lots of things. this sounds promising. Chucho how is it going? Are you still symptom free? What of all those things you think did the trick after all? The bios update or limiting the fps (Why does it have to be capped at 120fps) or this registry entry? Where did you get your information, would you be able to elaborate a little bit more and explain where you get the information from and what the different steps are good for? That would be amazing!!! thanks all! :)
  • LizzardWizzard
    LizzardWizzard Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    Red-Sand said:
    It's not actually a "defect"... it's simply Windows updating the Nvidia GPU driver to "DCH" version rather than "Standard".
    So asking Acer to fix something they have no control of is running in circles.
    Welcome to PC gaming! Where Windows is run by old men and staying up to date is as important as updates! lol

You can skip all this jazz and go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/nvidia-control-panel/9nf8h0h7wmlt?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Install the DCH control panel from Windows and your GPU will reappear.
    If you follow the OP method you'll be fighting the tide as DCH will become the standard for all future Nvidia Driver updates.

YW.

Note: If you've followed the OP and reverted to the standard drivers manually you may have to wait a bit for Windows to push DCH back on you for the Windows App Control Panel to work again. Next time it "disappears" just install the DCH NVCP

I just tried this. Sadly didnt do anything for me and i have the exact same problem getting kicked out of the game with bluescreen and no recognized gpu after restart. It seem like a lot of people here have the exact same problem...its ***** crazy. how does acer not even know about this if its such common problem. i called them and they seemed very confused themselves...
  • entonnn
    entonnn Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I have same problem like you and what's even worse technical centre can't find any problems. dizzy I'll send me laptop 27 days ago and nothing. They said everything working fine and can't find any issues.. I just don't know what to do, becouse if i asking for money back they offering for me minus 25% of price. disappointed I can't understand how they can't know about this issue with triton 500 laptops .. Chucho metod not working for me, and 120fps is very bad :D me old laptop can reach more. I bought this laptop just becouse i wanted to have about 250fps in csgo.
  • Chucho
    Options
    Hello all!
    I have some bad news.. I am still getting the issue, I download a new game ESO, and I found that sometimes I can have a long session without any issue, but sometimes I got the issue. I don't what else we need to do... Acer please help us with this issue, is really frustrating that we cannot play games.

the guide did solve some issues in some games, not in all. does anyone have a new solution??
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried to reset the battery and bios too?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Chucho
    Options
    Have you tried to reset the battery and bios too?
    hmm the only momentarily fix for this is every time I got an issue with the video card I can fix resetting the battery using the button. I also updated the bios with the lasted drivers in Acer page.
    DO you have a specific guide or another one?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Chucho
    Options
    Yeah I got the most recent driver, that is not helping me with the issue :(
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Assuming that the problem is only solved after the battery reset, what happens when you disable fast startup in the windows power options or fastboot in the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• emonhaze
    emonhaze Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    Chucho said:
    Hello all!
    I am creating this post as a guide, for those who are experiencing issues with the Nvidia graphic card, like:
    1. Graphic card is not detected by windows
    2. constantly game crash
    I have made a lot of research on the web related to this because I had a lot of problems with my BRAND new laptop. And yes all the Acer predator Triton 500 laptops have this defect... but there is a solution without using the warranty hehe don't you worry!

There is a momentarily fix when the graphic card (Nvidia) is not detected. You need to rest the battery, using the small pinhole on the back of the laptop... But this will not fix the issue, it only will fix the windows, and the graphic card will be detected.. but this is a pain in the *****, because every time you have a crash, you need to do that. But during my research, I tested different guides or fixes and there is only one solution for this issue and you will be happy and play a lot of games without any issue, here are the steps:

1. First, you need to reinstall windows... Yes clear all the settings and data
    2. Then you need to update the BIOS, with the lasted update, try with all: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    3. After the BIOS update, you need to stop the windows updates... sorry pal but if you want to play games without any issue, you need to do it. Here is a simple guide: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html
    4. You need to add the following registry entry:
    Open registry editor.
    Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers"
    Make new entry called REG_QWORD (64-bit)
    Edit that entry, type TdrDelay, and put value to 8 (hexadecimal)

And finally, you need to limit your FPS under the Nvidia control panel:
    1. Right-click on the desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel from the context menu. It may take a moment to open.
    2. Go to 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings.
    • Stay in the first tab (Global Settings) and locate the Max Frame Rate option under Settings.
    • Set to 120 FPS
  • I also limit the fps in each game

• This help me a lot!! before that, I was having crash every 5 to 30 min of gameplay on some games (The Witcher 1, GW2, MTG Arena) and now since I did all these steps, I have been able to play for hours without having any problems!! 

I hope this fix your issues, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. And please ACER, made an update or something to fix this easily.
    Chucho
    I followed all the steps except for installing the windows because i have a lot of work and work related software installed and still have this problem. I am running the latest windows update window 1909 and i did downgrade my nvidia driver to 442.50 from 445.75. Is downgrading windows to 1903 necessary?
    I have the updated bios 1.13 and the nvidia firmware from the acer website. 
    Here is a video of what happens after playing games for 5 mins https://youtu.be/Z_QBlIGvxao
    I just started getting this problem 3/4 days ago while playing DOOM. 
    Can someone help me fix this. I am using Predator PT515-51.
  • Chucho
    Options
    Assuming that the problem is only solved after the battery reset, what happens when you disable fast startup in the windows power options or fastboot in the bios?
    I can confirm I am playing eso 2 days with any issue and more than two hours after I disable the fast startup in windows and the bios. but that is only one game, I just want to confirm if the rest of the user can follow the states of egydiocoelho, but also disable all the steps that I added on the guide.

What I did was this:

Updated the Nvidia driver to the latest one
    Remove the limit FPS
    Upgraded windows

For me is working in one game, please anyone can do that and confirm if this is working for all the users???
  • Chucho
    Options
    I have been playing ESO for two days without any issue, maybe this is a solution. I also install the latest driver of Nvidia and delete all the settings of my guide and it seems si working for me (i just only tried with eso) could anyone confirm if this is working on another machine??

emonhazeentonnnLizzardWizzardegydiocoelho post?