If you are having issues with your Nvidia card, read this!! (Triton 500)

Options

Answers

• Chucho
    Chucho Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    jimgpayne said:
    I'm really curious about this, as I have seen a few folks complain about this on this forum.

I have an I7-9750 with 32MB ram, a G-Sync LCD, 2080 Max-Q, 1TB (NVME - not raided). I've had it since Mid-March and it runs games almost non-stop pretty much every day (I'm one of those evil people who use bots).

I also have updated to Windows Pro 10 and I am running 2004.

The only thing specific to my graphics card is disable the internal video card (by telling it in the BIOS to only use the Nvidia).

I have not limited my FPS; in fact they pretty much go all over the place, spending much of their time well over 100-140.

I use the nvidia game ready drivers. And I've even installed Nvidia broadcast this weekend.

I've been lucky to never have any of the issues that I've seen others report. So I am wondering if there is something specific to my setup above that has somehow excluded the cause of these problems?

Jim 

do you have a tutorial for the BIOS configuration? i would like to disable the internal graphic card, and only use the nvidia, it would be great if you could share with us and try that!
    thanks in advance! 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is there any configuration to activate only dgpu in the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Zipo0
    Zipo0 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm starting to believe there's potentially a hardware defect either on the motherboard, the display, or the display cable. I flexed my screen and the resolution changed for a few seconds and then the issue seemed to stop for a bit. The issue still came back, and windows still shows some errors even after reinstalling windows again, but too many issues seem to plague the laptop despite it being new or used. Ive also noticed that the pt515-51 also seems to make some sort of electric noise or buzzing coming from it, charging or not. I'm tempted to see if getting a new display or display ribbon cable will fix it, but I don't want to spend nearly $200 on those parts only for it to fail if it IS some other type of defect. I honestly think I'm better off selling this POS and buying another Lenovo gaming laptop, at leas my experiences with their past laptops haven't been this much of a train wreck :/
  • Edubencz
    Edubencz Member Posts: 71 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Chucho said:
    sadly but no man :( actually my method is not working anymore.... lately I am getting a lot of issues during my streaming sessions (elder scrolls online + streamlabs) I am getting tons of BSD with this issue video dxgkrnl fatal error... I try updating the drivers and doing some works around I found on the web and nothing seems to works... This is a bigger issue with all the predator models and I think Acer is not doing anything
    @egydiocoelho or @xapimdo you have any update???

Chucho, I had the motherboard replaced (under warranty).. it's the only way to fix. Basically, it's some hardware problem.
  • Chucho
    Options

Chucho, I had the motherboard replaced (under warranty).. it's the only way to fix. Basically, it's some hardware problem.
    Ty for your response man! did you use MSI afterburner? I am actually using it and yesterday I was able to play ESO + Streaming and it runs really great without a crash!! what I did is to create a new profile and on the core clock, I lowered to -100 and use every time I am playing. I am going to test this and see the results. I think this model en specific have a serious problem with the electricity and I think all these crashes are because the GPU absorbs a lot of electricity and crash. 
  • pogdog
    pogdog Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    @Edubencz Were your crashes completely fixed by getting the motherboard replaced?
  • Edubencz
    Options
    Chucho said:

Ty for your response man! did you use MSI afterburner? I am actually using it and yesterday I was able to play ESO + Streaming and it runs really great without a crash!! what I did is to create a new profile and on the core clock, I lowered to -100 and use every time I am playing. I am going to test this and see the results. I think this model en specific have a serious problem with the electricity and I think all these crashes are because the GPU absorbs a lot of electricity and crash. 
    My man Chucho, I did this same workaround... I can tell you it's only temporary (it will worsen over time), and for my case, it's was kinda lottery. Some times the crash still ocurred even with -300 MHZ. Downclocking will only get you so far...

Replace the motherboard, chucho... You dont have warraty anymore?
  • Edubencz
    Options
    pogdog said:
    @Edubencz Were your crashes completely fixed by getting the motherboard replaced?
    Yes, completely wiped out the problem!
  • Chucho
    Options
    Edubencz said:
    Chucho said:

My man Chucho, I did this same workaround... I can tell you it's only temporary (it will worsen over time), and for my case, it's was kinda lottery. Some times the crash still ocurred even with -300 MHZ. Downclocking will only get you so far...

What I did was undervolted the CPU, with ThrottleStop and the GPU with MSI afterburner at -25 and so far no crash during long playing sessions! I need to test more games but I didn't get any crash with ESO + Streamlabs.
    I still have the 2 Years Carry In warranty, but I don't if the re[lacement is cover with that type of warranty?
  • Edubencz
    Options
    Chucho said:
    Edubencz said:
    Chucho said:

What I did was undervolted the CPU, with ThrottleStop and the GPU with MSI afterburner at -25 and so far no crash during long playing sessions! I need to test more games but I didn't get any crash with ESO + Streamlabs.
    I still have the 2 Years Carry In warranty, but I don't if the re[lacement is cover with that type of warranty?
    I dont know if it's covered, but it should be! It's hardware defect... several Predator buyers are having this problem. Acer probably is very aware of this situation. They just won't admit it openly.

Don't settle for underclocking/limiting your laptop... It's a high performance system, made for games and stuff alike. And as personal experience, eventually the underclock won't fix the situation anymore
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Edubencz said:
    Chucho said:
    Edubencz said:
    Chucho said:

I dont know if it's covered, but it should be! It's hardware defect... several Predator buyers are having this problem. Acer probably is very aware of this situation. They just won't admit it openly.

Don't settle for underclocking/limiting your laptop... It's a high performance system, made for games and stuff alike. And as personal experience, eventually the underclock won't fix the situation anymore
    let me just disagree here if u don't optimize windows properly undervolt and repaste it with proper thermal paste like kryonaut or similar no matter what brand u go with max p dgpus you will always have thermal throttling and crashing issues and that's for sure and whoever says otherwise clearly doesn't understand anything about how a gaming laptop works it's basically almost a desktop stick in a really small factor case and needs constant maintenance and care those who disagree should not buy any get a desktop instead less maintenance less headache anyways good luck to everyone 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Mingymingy
    Mingymingy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hey Guys, I was about to buy this laptop but I wanted to know if this is still an issue or not? Was there ever a permanent fix?
  • Chucho
    Options
    Hey Guys, I was about to buy this laptop but I wanted to know if this is still an issue or not? Was there ever a permanent fix?
    Buy it at your own risk, Predator laps have a lot of issues, not only with the video card, the most common issues are battery and motherboard.
    There are other brands with much better performance and better prices like the A****, L***** or any other. I suggest to you research more and made a decision.

I think I fix my problem without sending to warranty using a Nvidia option to reduce the fan noise and undervolt the CPU and GPU. But if I honest with you I am trying to sell this laptop and buy another one.
    Hope this help.
  • Mingymingy
    Mingymingy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Chucho said:
    Buy it at your own risk, Predator laps have a lot of issues, not only with the video card, the most common issues are battery and motherboard.
    There are other brands with much better performance and better prices like the A****, L***** or any other. I suggest to you research more and made a decision.

I think I fix my problem without sending to warranty using a Nvidia option to reduce the fan noise and undervolt the CPU and GPU. But if I honest with you I am trying to sell this laptop and buy another one.
    Hope this help.
    Thanks, yea seems sketch... I found a black Friday deal for this laptop:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-PT515-52-73L3-i7-10750H-Dual-Channel/dp/B08CNLPDXV/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=triton+500&qid=1606584228&s=electronics&sr=1-3#

at $1399... couldn't pass it up, but now after reading some reviews I am a bit skeptical, but I don't think ill get a better price. Maybe worth the gamble, or adding some sort of warranty? =/
  • Tagaddin
    Tagaddin Member Posts: 22

Tinkerer

Options
    I bought my predator 2 months ago and having this issue for more than 3 weeks now, tried reducing framerate and disabling fast startup which reduced the frequency of black screen, but it's still makes gameplay annoying and unreliable, is there's a permanent solution for this? should i send the laptop for repair? kindly help me as iam very disappointed with what is supposed to be a high tech gaming laptop
  • Chucho
    Options
    Tagaddin said:
    I bought my predator 2 months ago and having this issue for more than 3 weeks now, tried reducing framerate and disabling fast startup which reduced the frequency of black screen, but it's still makes gameplay annoying and unreliable, is there's a permanent solution for this? should i send the laptop for repair? kindly help me as iam very disappointed with what is supposed to be a high tech gaming laptop
    Try this is working for me in all games without sending the laptop to repair

You can find it in Nvidia experience > options.

At first i thought this issue is related to the GPU, but no, the issue is because is overheating so doesn't matter if you send the lap to repair it will happen to you repeatedly.... I did everything underclock, limit FPS, change configuration etcetera... and this option help me a lot, i still run the games in ultra like WOW even DOOM eternal or CyberPunk and all the crashes stopped (i have like this almost 3 month).

I recommend using the optimize games from Nvidia.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Doesn't optimise games just set the gfx settings to hot a target based on the data from everyone else's? I constantly had the GPU dropping out, and disappearing that isn't anything to do with temps else it would be seen on other makes models or providers (and even if it was temps it's Acer's job to tailor the cooling solution, voltage, and clock speed to prevent it) and in my case it was caused by some blown out capacitors on the motherboard 

To the people who had a repair how long did it take, I'm going on 2 months now :(
  • Tagaddin
    Tagaddin Member Posts: 22

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks Chucho, I will try this and see if it works
  • Chucho
    Options
    Tagaddin said:
    Thanks Chucho, I will try this and see if it works
    Pls keep us update. I would like to know if this solution is a permanent fix for other games hehe so far i haven't had crash and without losing graphics and FPS

Leostat said:
    Doesn't optimise games just set the gfx settings to hot a target based on the data from everyone else's? I constantly had the GPU dropping out, and disappearing that isn't anything to do with temps else it would be seen on other makes models or providers (and even if it was temps it's Acer's job to tailor the cooling solution, voltage, and clock speed to prevent it) and in my case it was caused by some blown out capacitors on the motherboard 

To the people who had a repair how long did it take, I'm going on 2 months now :(
    Yes, Nvidia GeForce experience can optimize your games depending what expects you are using. For example, Doom eternal, the app doesn't recommend using all the graphic because the laptop will crash the VRam:

You should check and use these settings for every game, and feel free to modify if you think the laptop can do more and it will not crash or lose FPS. 
    BTW, did you use the whisper mode? do you still have crashes using that? 
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Being out of vram should also just cause terrible performance not crashes, your kernel will just handle swapping in and out not crash . It's like saying hey my processor can do 2.4 GHz but I'm gonna run it at 0.7 just in case.

Optimisation is not needed to prevent crashes

Whisper mode just lowers the power and performance even more, it shouldn't be needed for normal operation