Helios 300 PH317-53-72P5 rtx 2060 fan stopping

Answers

• belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Fan costs few dollars so I don't think anyone will replace whole laptop instead of just 5-10 dollars  :)
    Even more, with system temperature under 33C in idle this model will last much longer than other ones where temperatures is around 50C  =)
  • Jhjh6980
    Jhjh6980 Member Posts: 78 Devotee WiFi Icon
    i play game like assassin, the division 2...
    with cooler pad and cpu underclock to 1500mhz and fps limit to 35fps
    my cpu and gpu temp never reach 50C

for fan control on idle to get 0 rpm, last time i send message to predatorgaming twitter for any news. they don’t said it’s impossible they said no update yet
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Jhjh6980 said:
    they did it on purpose to wear out the fans faster and make us change the PC
    Thats really not accurate the fans are probably the cheapest hardware part in the whole laptop

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• belik
    edited November 2019
    So 3 months passsed and result is zero. I don’t see any signs that this issue was taken and work in progress.
    Why Acer support is so terrible? Do they care only about selling new toys and then forget their customers?

I also have Y540 as my second laptop and this laptop has cooling setup absolutely right. Fans stopped until temp 50-55C so in browsing it is full passive keeping temperatures at 45C. Y540 is a way better laptop in this and any other aspects.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Have you actually contacted Acer support with the issue, or just here on the community boards?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Stuont
    Stuont Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited November 2019
    I'm also experiencing this issue, too noisy for idle. Interestingly, it seems there was silent mode for previous generation, mentioned here https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi2yfPOuc_lAhUlmYsKHdbnBPkQjhx6BAgBEAI&url=https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/561557/little-to-no-control-of-fan-speed-helios-300&psig=AOvVaw2kO9CI-z-w0Z60T-Etwytq&ust=1572918877698748

I had contacted support, waiting for response
  • Stuont
    Stuont Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited November 2019
    Support answered that the only thing they can offer is laptop diagnostics...
    No point for diagnostics of something by design. Now I think that was my poor choice to buy Acer laptop
  • belik
    edited November 2019
    Hey there, I think I found a solution

First, I replaced thermopads and thermopaste everywhere so it could help in lower temperature and then ..
    Well as you know on idle fans run at 1680/2160 cpu/gpu, cpu is plastic fan and gpu is aeroblade
    And it turned out that all the noise comes from aeroblade. Not only becoz it runs at higher rpm but also those blades ornate shape produce more noise

So I've got another one plastic delta fan the same as standard and results are just wonderful

Now my system run at 30/27 degree on idle (i e when I leave windows in saver mode with cpu utilization 1%)

and both fans run at the same 1680  =)

And this 500 rpm lower speed in combination with normal plastic blades make really huge difference. Now sitting in the silent room you can barely hear the fans and it is absolutely not annoying. I'm very happy with achieved results  B)<3<3

And here is Helios with two proper plastic fans

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    @belik i always said the noise was due to the aeroblade 4th gen owl shaped fans this is a solution but not for everyone as most ppl have warranty stickers and they will void them if they disassemble it and i doubt acer would swap the fans if they asked to :p also just for everyone to be aware it requires repasting-it with a proper thermal paste (as always i recommend kryonaut or similar if your one of those who is going for it) as i sad this is a great solution but not for all those ones who cant disassemble it have to just stick with what they
    have

Stuont as i already said many times theres nothing wrong with the laptop acer will not do anything ever because theres nothing wrong if youre one of the lucky ones who can disassemble it a bit of modding never hurt anyone :) 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• belik
    edited November 2019
    @xapim well technically you can replace fan without touching cooling system, you can even keep factory tap intact coz you may unscrew top of the fan case and attach to new one

And about temps, I myself replaced thermopads and applied kryonat on cpu/gpu but so far results are not too good, it is still similar to what I see in reviews

For combined stress load cpu+gpu, fans on auto run at 4000 rpm and temps 90C cpu and 80C gpu, with coolerboost enabled they spin 5000 rpm and temps 84C cpu and 77C gpu

I expected much better temps considering factory undervolting, don't know what to do next 
    =) 
  • alisaeed
    alisaeed Member Posts: 24 Networker
    @belik where can i find the plastic fan?
  • belik
    edited November 2019
    alisaeed said:
    Hey, you can ask in local Acer authorized repair shops or buy online or ask here in forum for a contact to buy spare part
    What you need is NS85C06 and it should cost around 20 dollars I believe 

Regarding the level of noise I can confirm once more that when your both fans at 1680 and laptop is on table just near you in quiet room you will barely hear it you need actually to put  ears close to vents so it’s very very quiet
  • alisaeed
    belik said:
    alisaeed said:
    Hey, you can ask in local Acer authorized repair shops or buy online or ask here in forum for a contact to buy spare part

Regarding the level of noise I can confirm once more that when your both fans at 1680 and laptop is on table just near you in quiet room you will barely hear it you need actually to put  ears close to vents so it’s very very quiet
    thank you
    I just install it yesterday, as you said it was very quiet on battery, but as soon as I connect the AC adapter it start spinning + 2500 rpm and still annoying  even though I only run chrome 
  • belik
    alisaeed said:
    belik said:
    alisaeed said:

thank you
    I just install it yesterday, as you said it was very quiet on battery, but as soon as I connect the AC adapter it start spinning + 2500 rpm and still annoying  even though I only run chrome 
    It all related to cpu temperatures but to change this relation isn’t possible fo awhile

when you are on battery, your cpu must be below 45C and thus both fans run at 1680

when on ac, you have another power profile and when cpu exceeds 45C then fans started at 2000, exceeds 53C and run at 2300, for the range between 53 and 61C they are on 2600

So you may want to adjust power profile, to restrict cpu to run so aggressively or repaste
  • belik
    edited January 2020
    Happy New Year everyone awaiting!

Solution is coming  =)

In full passive mode, i.e. both fans stopped, plugged on AC I have 53C on CPU 
    And this is on non-optimized Windows with CPU utilization 5-10% and CPU freq 3-3.5MHz

On battery, CPU power drops significantly and I have around 45C on CPU in full passive silent mode

Very impressive  B)
  • alisaeed
    belik said:
    Happy New Year everyone awaiting!

Solution is coming  =)

In full passive mode, i.e. both fans stopped, plugged on AC I have 53C on CPU 
    And this is on non-optimized Windows with CPU utilization 5-10% and CPU freq 3-3.5MHz

On battery, CPU power drops significantly and I have around 45C on CPU in full passive silent mode

Very impressive  B)
    It is custom bios, right?
  • belik
    edited January 2020
    Nope you don’t need to unlock bios 
    It’s purely software method through the third party app called NBFC

It’s far from comfortable use yet but I will work on it =)   
  • Jhjh6980
    belik said:
    Nope you don’t need to unlock bios 
    It’s purely software method through the third party app called NBFC

It’s far from comfortable use yet but I will work on it =)   
    In notebookfancontrol you must select your laptop models. I don’t find ph317 53.
    how you do that?
    thank
  • belik
    @Jhjh6980 NBFC is like universal framework which allows to read and write registers to embeeded controller responsible for fan control
    But for new models you need to create config from scratch
    There is good news that by this method it's already possible to read and write but still it works in the way which is not fully enjoyable
    Need more time

• Jhjh6980
    belik said:
    @Jhjh6980 NBFC is like universal framework which allows to read and write registers to embeeded controller responsible for fan control
    But for new models you need to create config from scratch
    There is good news that by this method it's already possible to read and write but still it works in the way which is not fully enjoyable
    Need more time

When it fully work, you will add this new models to the software?