Acer Nitro 5 an515 - 42 Keyboard not working.How to fix?

Options

Answers

• NYCMC
    NYCMC Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Yes I did a battery reset when I first starting noticing this problem. I'll try downgrading the bios as nothing else has worked.
  • NYCMC
    Options
    Sorry for the double message earlier.
    Ok, as I mentioned I did the battery reset yesterday and the problem was still happening. I started the laptop this morning and same problem.  I researched how to downgrade the bios and realized that Acer does not make this possible. Anyway, I went into the bios to change the MediaKey back to Function because I use the Fn keys more than I use the Media keys.

After that restart the problem was still there.  I started testing the Fn buttons, one of which was Fn+F9 that alternates keyboard backlight.  I tried typing and immediately noticed characters appearing smoother and had zero errors. I've been using the laptop all morning without any issues.  I even rebooted a bunch of times to see if the keyboard had problems during uefi like it did before.  Works perfectly now. 

So anyone with this problem you can try replicating my steps and see if this helps you.
    1. Battery reset. Power off your laptop and unplug from power adapter. Press the battery reset button (about 5 seconds) located underneath your laptop with a really thin stick, I used a sewing needle. Leave your laptop alone un-powered for about 30 minutes.
    2. Switch keyboard backlight on and off (Fn+F9). I think the backlight might be the culprit here but I truly don't know for sure.

We'll see how long this fix lasts but the laptop works like new again.

Thank you egydiocoelho for your help.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Just a question: in seconds step B), you should turn on the notebook and then press fn + f9 twice? Or do you press fn + f9 with the notebook off?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • NYCMC
    Options
    I should have been clear on step 2.  Restart the laptop and then Fn+F9. 

So far so good.  I haven't had any trouble yet.  My next test is if it happens again.  Fn+F9 without doing a battery reset.

I hope it stays working for much longer than a few hours.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It would be interesting if you kept updating the topic.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • NYCMC
    Options
    No problem I will for sure.  I would like to see if the other two guys try this and see if their problems get fixed also.
  • NYCMC
    Options
    Well that was short-lived. The problem came back and no combination of battery reset or alternating keyboard back-light helped to permanently fix the keyboard. So then I am afraid that any passwords I use on the laptop may one day lock me out because I cannot type in a correct password. One of the things I had to change or remove was BitLocker.  If I ever get locked out my entire drive would be useless to me.

I know this is probably another premature observation but the laptop appears to operate much better without Bitlocker encryption.  If the keyboard issues comes back it will only be within 24hrs to show itself.  So I'll be able to rule Bitlocker out as the culprit very soon. 

I hope this is it, I cannot keep going on like this with this keyboard.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is this notebook still under warranty?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NYCMC
    Options
    Unfortunately, its out of warranty.  By the way, the problem is already back.  So Bitlocker is not the cause of this issue.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried opening the notebook and then disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NYCMC
    Options
    no not yet.  I looked into that and it seems like its a lot of work.  I'll save that project for another time.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Check this video:
    https://youtu.be/oCXibO1M_FI

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• tkjhapc
    tkjhapc Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    oh god i thought i am the only one having this problem i also have same problem with keys (o,s,k,backspace,5, 4 ,left ctrl etc. ) i have done everything but not able to get rid of this problem . someone please help .
  • NYCMC
    Options
    Hi tjhapc, as you can see I'm still trying to sort this out on my laptop. I've seen other threads, where similar Acer laptop keyboards have their own series of bad keys.  They have difference keys vs ours that go bad but they share the similar ill effects. 
    I feel this is a manufacturing defect because the same patterns of problems. People, operating systems, applications etc are all different but hardware is the common factor.  Maybe its the keyboard or the motherboard.
    So far the battery reset has helped the most but it doesn't get rid of the problem. Instead of losing an hour for a battery reset to clear, when I feel a keyboard lag happening I simply unplug the laptop from the power with the laptop is still running.  I wait for the beep that let's me know its on battery.  I wait a few seconds and then just plug the power back in.
    Maybe it changes the voltage or clears out some electro-magnetic buildup?  It helps most times and I can use it for an hour sometimes hours without any problems.
    Good luck
  • tkjhapc

Tinkerer

Options
    i reseted my laptop today also i updated the bios it was working very smoothly but only for some hours after that the same problem happened . is their any permanent solution for this problem ? i am very frustated 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you checked if it's just a bad connection to the motherboard?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NYCMC
    Options
    I am ok with managing the laptop as I have described. I kinda understand what might be going on. I prefer not to open up the laptop completely to unplug and re-seat the keyboard. If I screw it up I have no way to fix it and have to buy a new keyboard. 
    Currently, after the battery reset it works much better. The problem comes back from time to time and I unplug the power supply and replug.  It seems to fix it relatively quickly and I can use the laptop for while.  So I can live with this inconvenience.
  • tkjhapc

Tinkerer

Options
    this method is not working for me
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can try updating uefi-bios, but I'm not sure if it will work.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• tkjhapc

Tinkerer

Options
    my uefi-bios is updated
This discussion has been closed.