Acer Nitro 5 an515 - 42 Keyboard not working.How to fix?

Options
12346»

Answers

• tdawgg
    tdawgg Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2020
    Options
    njr2003 said:
    I voided my warranty just to open my laptop and clean disconnect and reconnect the keyboard ribon because i have much papers to submit tomorrow. However the same problem remains.... Maybe lets try to consider other brands in buying our next laptop..
    I know this post is kind of old, but I just wanted to share in case it helps someone now. I just bought this Acer Nitro 5 on Offerup. Some keys stopped responding after about a week. I went through all of the steps above and nothing worked. So I opened it up (previous owner had voided the warranty already). The locking mechanism was broken. I made sure the lock was closed and then used a hot glue gun to  glue both sides. It's working fine now.

• mypassport
    mypassport Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    tdawgg said:
    njr2003 said:
    I voided my warranty just to open my laptop and clean disconnect and reconnect the keyboard ribon because i have much papers to submit tomorrow. However the same problem remains.... Maybe lets try to consider other brands in buying our next laptop..
    I know this post is kind of old, but I just wanted to share in case it helps someone now. I just bought this Acer Nitro 5 on Offerup. Some keys stopped responding after about a week. I went through all of the steps above and nothing worked. So I opened it up (previous owner had voided the warranty already). The locking mechanism was broken. I made sure the lock was closed and then used a hot glue gun to  glue both sides. It's working fine now.

What kind of hot glue gun was it?  Seems a bit extreme, could we just use tape?  
  • arffh
    arffh Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    I also have this issue i really dont know what to do
  • Happ
    Happ Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Problem solved!  Literally like a 10 minute job.

The problem is the ribbon cable for the keyboard is not sitting well in the connector.  The lock mechanism on one side was completely open.

As the post above, he used hot glue to hold the locking mechanism together. I used tape to hold the locking mechanism in place instead.

The locking mechanism never seems to click in completely on one side (left side for me) and eventually it opens up after a while.  Also when you lock one side the other side opens which leads me to believe the ribbon cable is just slightly too wide for the connector.  I ended up holding the locking mechanism on both sides in locked position for a few seconds before I let them both go and they seemed to stay but I never felt them completely click in so I put a strong adhesive tape to hold them in rather than glue in case I need to remove the cable.  I wouldn't recommend trying to shave/sand off some of the cable to make it less wide as the stated method definitely works and without making a mess.

I'm not sure if this will void your warranty if you open it but I didn't see any warranty stickers that become cut when you open it, I would think you must be allowed to open it, especially since there are expansion slots for storage and ram.  Maybe just call Acer and confirm before you try, my laptop was outside of warranty period when I did it.

I'll add some pics to help, you just need to take out the screws from the bottom and pry out the bottom cover and you can see the cable right away.

• Happ
    Happ Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    My post got deleted somehow...so I'll summarize what I said before.

Anyway, as the person above, the issue is the ribbon cable does not sit well in the connector and the locking mechanism opens again overtime and then you get some keys not working.  I used tape instead of glue to hold the locking clips in place and it seems to work good so far.  I think the ribbon cable is just slightly too wide for the connector as the cause of the whole issue.  I don't know if it would be a good idea to shave/sand the cable a bit on the sides to make it fit better in the connector.  Each time I tried to lock one clip the other would open up, I held both clips in at the same time for a few seconds and then they seemed to stay but I did not feel any clicks so I thought they might open up again, given time, so I taped them in place.  

I'm not sure if this will void your warranty if you do this, my laptop was outside of warranty when I did it, maybe call Acer before you try, I did not see any warranty stickers that could be cut when I opened it and it is likely you are allowed to open it since there are locations for storage and ram expansion.

I'll post some of my pictures below as well.

• theroblogdotcom
    theroblogdotcom Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I cleaned the ribbon contacts and the socket and put one thickness of tape on the back of the ribbon so it would make better contact. It is a lot better. But i am going to try another thickness of tape and a better cleaner like De oxit.. 
  • theroblogdotcom
    theroblogdotcom Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    You apply the tape then trim it carefully with a razor blade so it fits in the socket. Might also try a dot of silver bearing circuit pen "ink" if I can work that small. Cleaning under the keys where it makes contact might also help.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options

Hello to all,

This thread is now closed due to its age, if you still have problems with your computer, I invite you to open a new question or post so that the users of the Acer community can guide you.

Thank you,

Acer-Manny

This discussion has been closed.