How do I reinstall the Chrome OS with a USB Recovery Flash Drive?
To reinstall Chrome OS using a USB flash drive, you must have a PC with internet access and a 4GB or larger USB flash drive. To create your USB flash drive, visit our Create a USB Recovery Flash Drive for your Chromebook article.
Use the following steps to reinstall your Chrome OS with a USB Recovery Flash Drive.
- Press and hold the Esc key and refresh (F3) key and then press the power button to turn on the Chromebook.
- The Chromebook will boot to Developer Mode. Insert your Chromebook USB recovery flash drive.
- The integrity of the recovery media is verified, then the system is recovered from the USB flash drive. This process takes about 10 minutes to complete.
- Once the system recovery is complete, unplug the USB flash drive.
- The Chromebook will restart automatically.
- Follow the on-screen instructions on the Welcome! screen.
Your Chromebook is now back to factory default settings.