PH315-51 showing black screen after one hour of web surfing

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Hey @Roland_Lorinczi
    I do have warranty on the store and  Acer Service Centre

i have downloaded and extracted the BIOS and everything ran well no freezes or anything. It was when a few shutdowns later ( next day) i turned off the laptop and reopened it. I entered password and now it's just a black screen with my cursor (able to move it) .

Does this mean i did the process wrong?

ty
    Whenever you get your windows up, go to power settings and disable the "quick startup" option.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • RaidenSoloh
    RaidenSoloh Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited September 2018
    G3-571. So I am having many of the same issues. Here is one video out of four that I just uploaded. Any help would be much appreciated. https://youtu.be/ZShj0OKEY8k
  • sri369
    G3-571. So I am having many of the same issues. Here is one video out of four that I just uploaded. Any help would be much appreciated. https://youtu.be/ZShj0OKEY8k
    This seems more like a display adapter/connection issue. If you are under warranty, I would suggest showing it at Acer warranty center. Also, try connecting an external display and see if that works fine, or if that too has issues.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • JoeHello
    JoeHello Member Posts: 5 New User
    Hey all! So I just bought this laptop a few days ago and the freezing started appearing today while playing PUBG. I updated all the drivers, uninstalled anti-virus, disabled Xbox Gamebar and uninstalled GeForce Experience as some people have suggested as a fix. I found this thread and downloaded the latest Bios update. After it rebooted the screen went completely black. I can’t see anything at all. I have tried rebooting several times with the power button. Any suggestions? Replacing it through warranty is going to be difficult as I bought the PC in Norway and I just moved to England. 
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    JoeHello said:
    Hey all! So I just bought this laptop a few days ago and the freezing started appearing today while playing PUBG. I updated all the drivers, uninstalled anti-virus, disabled Xbox Gamebar and uninstalled GeForce Experience as some people have suggested as a fix. I found this thread and downloaded the latest Bios update. After it rebooted the screen went completely black. I can’t see anything at all. I have tried rebooting several times with the power button. Any suggestions? Replacing it through warranty is going to be difficult as I bought the PC in Norway and I just moved to England. 
    Try using Fn+F5 to switch between displays. Try connected external display. Try increasing brightness. Try using Fn+F6 to turn screen on and off. See if any of these help.

Latest bios update... are you 100% sure you flashed the correct bios, and that it completed 100% successfully and rebooted itself? Bios update ends with a system reboot.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • JoeHello
    JoeHello Member Posts: 5 New User
    sri369 said:
    Try using Fn+F5 to switch between displays. Try connected external display. Try increasing brightness. Try using Fn+F6 to turn screen on and off. See if any of these help.

Latest bios update... are you 100% sure you flashed the correct bios, and that it completed 100% successfully and rebooted itself? Bios update ends with a system reboot.
    Thanks. I managed to install the bios update properly. I just had to wait an awfully long time for the screen to come back on. The update had no impact on the freezing issues I’m having with the laptop. It still freezes after about 4-5 minutes after I start a match of PUBG. I can’t to press any buttons when this happens and I have to reboot it by holding down the power button for a few seconds. I thought the bios update was supposed to fix this? 
  • sri369
    JoeHello said:
    sri369 said:

Thanks. I managed to install the bios update properly. I just had to wait an awfully long time for the screen to come back on. The update had no impact on the freezing issues I’m having with the laptop. It still freezes after about 4-5 minutes after I start a match of PUBG. I can’t to press any buttons when this happens and I have to reboot it by holding down the power button for a few seconds. I thought the bios update was supposed to fix this? 
    What are the temperatures when this happens?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Hey @Roland_Lorinczi
    I do have warranty on the store and  Acer Service Centre

i have downloaded and extracted the BIOS and everything ran well no freezes or anything. It was when a few shutdowns later ( next day) i turned off the laptop and reopened it. I entered password and now it's just a black screen with my cursor (able to move it) .

Does this mean i did the process wrong?

ty

That would appear to be a display driver issue. Are you able to login eventually?

There is a setting in security for windows to enable that makes it so you have to press cntrl+alt+delete before the login screen comes up.. and it sits at a blank screen otherwise.  Might be worth a shot.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Kvk009
    Kvk009 Member Posts: 1 New User
    My helios had the same issues,except display doesn't work for more than 2 min after pin hole reset,but I'm able to exchange and get a new piece, should I update the bios as soon as I get it to v1.15 or update windows first and then the bios update?? Or just don't update till any issue prop up :P
  • AngryArchitect
    AngryArchitect Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Any updates from ACER regarding this problems?
  • OEvans
    OEvans Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

So I had the black screen last night where I rebooted my system the back light goes on but nothing happened. Pin hole did nothing and taking put the ram stick, it didn't work instantly but I got f2 as it started the 2nd time after trying fixes and it worked. So I thought wow I'll install the new bios.
    I started the install process  it reboots to do What it needs to do and.. Oh guess what since it had to reboot I'm now back on the black screen it's been 10 mins and no resets no fan changes. It's not updating the bios. I'm afraid to even touch the ***** thing now. It seemed like original it hanged because I was trying to start the bios, I was looking to see where the hell my 1T drive went too. 
  • OEvans
    OEvans Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

So about 20 mins passed no predator logo just black screen. Restarted the laptop about 15 times and suddenly it appears and I get this message haha *thumbs up* I guess it's going to be a random gamble whether I get to update them or not depending on if it wants to boot when rebooting
  • Lando
    Lando Member Posts: 2 New User
    So is there any fix regarding all this problems? I just bought one 2days ago.
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    @OEvans Try flashing the BIOS from a USB stick, making sure this time that it's plugged in and no chance of power loss or even fluctuation. There are guides for preparing a BIOS flash drive with rufus or other boot disc creation tools that you can follow and retry. Please report back on how it went. I had the same issue, updated the BIOS and never had any issues ever since. Message here with any roadblocks or hiccups you encounter.
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @Lando Yes, BIOS update. Just make sure you don't have a power outage or fluctuation and you read up on how it's supposed to go. It WILL make your fans spin like crazy on max speed while flashing. It WILL stay silent as if off for more than you may expect. Know at which stage what is supposed to happen and don't turn it off & on midway through. Other than that it should go smoothly and fix the black screen issue as it did for me. Also both @OEvans and you should then upgrade your graphics drivers and cpu drivers to latest (as the PCU has a GPU as well...) and some amount of black screen / screen flicker issues i had may be attributable to that angle of fixing. But definitely first and foremost update the BIOS.

Instructions for FIX

💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Also, Guys: Can't recommend undervolting and reapplying thermal paste enough! It's been HUGE for me.

I just did over the weekend with the summer creeping up with warmer temperatures, as a preventive measure and BOY am I GLAD!

I plan on making a post on it as soon as I'm able to carve out the time for it. Took pictures of the factory thermal paste application :) I think I'll need to censor them...They're not PG-13 I'll tell you that for a bit of foreshadowing... Surprised it managed to keep temperatures below boiling up to now...

Instructions for FIX

• Roland_Lorinczi
    @OEvans actually...this may be more serious...with a partial BIOS update...you still MAY be able to flash one onto it but there's a chance that the chip is bricked... I found this, specifically for this kind of case. Can't confirm if it works or not (thankfully didn't need to try) but you can try following these instructions? IF you can get a basic, recovery level BIOS flashed onto it from ACER that may be compatible with any of their bios chips, then it should be a breeze flashing the latest appropriate BIOS onto that. DO make sure you have the same make & model than what BIOS you started flashing. I'm thinking if it may not have been a power outage or fluctuation, you want to avoid the issue being incompatibility..
    Best of luck and if still in warranty you have that fallback. Hope it doesn't come to that. I'm super happy with my unit after all the tinkering and tweaking.

Instructions for FIX

• ChaseHelmey
    ChaseHelmey Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi Guys,
    I have a Helios 300 and the screen wouldnt turn on, theres no LED lights either. Any fixes?
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Hey @ChaseHelmey did you try with external monitor through hdmi or usb-c to test if it's a display issue or deeper? Do you hear fan spin? Or even windows turning on sound (assuming you have it installed prior)?

Instructions for FIX

• Shashika
    Shashika Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello I brought a new lap Acer Nitro AN515-52 i7 but this lap have sudden lag problems and works really slow now after 2 months its really frustrating because I cant even play games like csgo in this lap now.please help I tried installing new bios 1.25 but it also not helpful and when I put my setting in to max in nitro sense lap also start to get really slow
This discussion has been closed.