I have a Nitro AN515-57 and I had a sudden decrease in fps in all my games

Options

Answers

• HurtakK
    HurtakK Member Posts: 57 Troubleshooter
    Options

No you're right I forgot about this. I did uninstall the Killer thing. It must have been the Acer OEM killer driver since it was my first ever interaction with it. Then I installed the intel website version. Then I uninstalled it again.

• HurtakK
    Options

The day after the problem started, so in Thursday, I did a restore point from the 26th March. I did it around noon and it did not fix it immediately, but like I said that day it worked well again but only for the evening

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options

What restore points remain?

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    Options

31/03 , 01/04 and 02/04

• JackE
    Options

Well, you could try the Friday restore point. That should bring you back to where it was on March 26th when it seemed to work OK at least in the evening. Then try not to do any more updating until you can see if it works again in the evening. Maybe give it more than one evening to test. The reason being that a factory reset might be the only course of action because so many things have changed and updates installed/uninstalled/re-installed.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    edited April 2023
    Options

Just restored to 31th march, not working at the moment but i'll wait until evening.

Another thing I noticed is that normally there's some sort of 2 profiles for screen brightness, one for not in-game and one for in-game. Like you can change the brightness for when in-game and it will keep this same brightness for any other game. This "gaming brightness" activates when my active tab is a game, and it switches to "desktop brightness" when quitting a game, or even when alt-tab or windows button, it would always switch between the two without fail.

But now, the brightness is always the same whetever in-game or not, and it seems like there's only one profile now. If I change the brightness in-game and quit, it will stay the same, and vice-versa.

Strange thing is that it started being like that since 2 days ago and not at the time my whole framerate problem started. I'm sure the "two brightness profiles" were still working on the 31th of march but restoring did not bring this back.

I tried going through display or video settings and never found anything mentionning that.

• JackE
    Options

Let's first see if the games play normally today or tomorrow evening. Then worry about brightness profiles later.

Jack E/NJ

• Mikedos
    Mikedos Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options

I've been having problems with my laptop for some time. System restore won't help, because I can't go back that far in time. What else can I do?

• HurtakK
    Options

Hi, I may have found a temporary fix on my end.

It turns out that installing a gpu driver (recent or not) gives me my fps back, but until I shut the pc off. I tested it and it worked 3 times out of 3 , and I think it was what gave me my fps last week on evenings too.

I just reinstall the same one over and over again without even uninstalling something manually, literally just clicking on the .exe file.

When its done all my fps have their usual framerate. I can play a game, quit, start another one, do something else for a long time then come back, unplug the pc, plug in the pc everything will always work.

It all stops working when I shut the pc off. Even if the pc goes in sleep mode because of inactivity, it will have bad game fps.

• JackE
    Options

I think you mentioned this earlier.

Let's try this. Immediately after clicking of the EXE file and games work OK, open Device Manage. Expand the Display adapters folder. Then right click properties on the nvidia driver. Post a screenshot of the Driver tab to see what version is listed.

Then shut the machine off. Then turn it back on and confirm that games don't work anymore. Then open Device Manager again and post a screenshot the of the same Drive tab to see what version is listed now.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    Options

This the version when everything works.

After the restart , games don't work. This is the screenshot :

Versions are the same

• JackE
    Options

Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Post screenshot of windows that pops up.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    edited April 2023
    Options

"Veille" is Sleep mode

• HurtakK
    edited April 2023
    Options

Altough , I don't use the button on the keyboard nor do I close the screen to shut off my computer

• JackE
    Options

Uncheck the box for fast startup. Save changes. Then shut down Windows normally. See if driver still works.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    Options

Nope , the framerate is still bad after starting the pc

• JackE
    Options

Try this. Re-install the driver so the FPS is good again.

Then shut down the machine normally.

Temporarily turn off your router so no internet connection.

Then turn the machine on with no internet.

Try gaming again and turn back router on.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    edited April 2023
    Options

It is working this morning whitout me reinstalling my driver. I tried the few steps you said anyways, and it seems to be back again, games work fine with or without internet connection. I then tried rechecking the fast startup option and restarted. Games are working again without me reinstalling drivers.

I haven't installed anything since yesterday, at least not that i'm aware of. There was also no update notification.

I must have tried restarting 5 times this morning and it is working fine.

• JackE
    Options

Make sure System Protection is turned on in Control Panel's restore point app just in case. From your description, I think you may have an intermittent router or internet speed issue that's affecting FPS. It might be due to the number of people using your Internet Provider's cable networ at certain times of the day and week..

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    edited April 2023
    Options

I don't get how it could affect my computer over a week ? But it's true that other people use my internet connection.

Although when it happened last summer I was the only one to use my internet connection.