I have a Nitro AN515-57 and I had a sudden decrease in fps in all my games

HurtakK
HurtakK Member Posts: 57 Troubleshooter
I have this computer since december, earlier today I was playing a game and suddenly my fps dropped while playing, so I tried rebooting and it changed nothing. I then realised it was the same case in all other games.
It happened when my computer was hot because I forgot to increase the fans, so I'm wondering if it could be a component that died due to the heat.

Basically, I now have the same fps as if my computer was unplugged, even when plugged in.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    >>>suddenly my fps dropped while playing,>>>

This usually happens under heavy gaming power demand when the battery charge level drops below about 50% even though it is plugged in. This is normal. So for maximum game time you must start with a fully charged battery and plugged in BEFORE you start heavy power demand.  While playing, the battery will actually help the charger meet the high power demand. It starts draining even though plugged in. When battery drains below 50%, power is automatically reduced and fps drops so that the battery can be charged back to 100%. At that time, you must stop gaming and allow the battery to fully charge again.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    I just tried this morning with a fully charged battery and nothing changed. As far as I know the charge level never mattered for my computer to have good fps.
  • JackE
    (1) Search 'cmd' in Windows start menu.
    (2) Right click command prompt near top of menu.
    (3) Click run as administrator.
    (4) Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport' at command prompt.
    (5) Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer.
    (6) Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser.
    (7) Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    This must be the one
  • JackE
    >>>Basically, I now have the same fps as if my computer was unplugged, even when plugged in. >>>

Remaining battery energy capacity looks OK. But not sure about it's power or current delivery capacity. Does the laptop stay on under heavy loads unplugged?

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    No, I never play unplugged since I had less frames that way
  • JackE
    That might be a symptom of a battery that cannot help the charger meet a heavy power or current demand. Can you please test to see if the laptop stays on or shuts off under heavy loads unplugged. I want to see if it shuts off completely or continues to throttle but stay on.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK

Hello,

I am sorry for my rudeness in coming back so lately.

At the time of my problem I did'nt want it to get to my head as I had a lot of work to do so I simply stepped off of my computer for a time.

Actually when I got back to it maybe a week after the computer was working like before and it's been working perfectly so far.

Yesterday though as I was playing a game it started acting up again.

In the said game I have generally good fps ~60-90 fps ( i capped it manually at 90) but now it runs at less than 20 and it basically downgraded in all other games just like 10 months ago.

It could be because I launched the game when I had 20% battery while charging ( I never play unplugged ) which I dont generally do.

I tried restoring my windows to 4 days back and it didnt change anything.

I did a battery report just like before, here's how it looks now.

• HurtakK

For precision , I tried a few times since yesterday WITH the battery at 100% and it doesnt work better

• JackE

Open NitroSense and check CPU and GPU temperatures when FPS are low.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK
    edited March 2023

I saw your message just now, actually it's been back to normal for a reason I don't know ? I've just played a quick 30 minutes game to test it out and nothing strange happened, these were the graphs when I played with max ventilation

I don't have a graph for when the problem occurs until the next it happens I guess ?

What I could tell during the bug is that my computer wasn't as hot as it should be in those games by a lot, and that GPU usage was a constant 100% in task manager, I didn't check what nitrosense displayed

• JackE

Your max temperatures have been too hot!!! Especially the GPU. Should not exceed about 85*C!!!

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK

I see, it actually is like that every time I play, except for some very low demanding games. And with ventilation maxed

• JackE

If you have the NitroSense CoolBoost option, turn it on for demanding games. Both CPU & GPU can be damaged if these maximum temperatures happen repeatedly. Also raise the laptop about an inch above a hard surface to promote better air flow in and out of the case.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK

I have a cooling platform which my computer always lies on and is connected to. Also for the fans I always use the Max option on most games, I found that the coolboost only does something in auto mode

• JackE

A cooling platform doesn't work well when laptop exhaust vents are on bottom. The upward airflow from the cooling pad can impede the downward airflow out of the laptop exhaust vents. Temperatures can actually be higher than if you simply raise the laptop about an inch taking care not to block any of the bottom vents.

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK

Ooooh I see ! I didn't think about it but it does make sense since cold air is denser than hot air. I will try this and see if the temperatures are lower.

• HurtakK
    edited March 2023

Problem is back once again after I opened my computer this morning, this is nitro sense during 25 minutes of game.

GPU is at constant 100%, also checked task manager and it seems it is the right nvidia gpu, not the integrated one.

I also checked the nvidia 3d settings and it is on the nvidia gpu

• JackE

»»Problem is back once again after I opened my computer this morning, this is nitro sense during 25 minutes of game.»

Temperatures look good now. But what was battery charge level when FPS started dropping?

Jack E/NJ

• HurtakK

Battery was at 100% when starting, 100% when quitting