Acer Swift 3 (Model no. SF315-41-R9S1) boot failure and unable to repair or reinstall fresh OS.

Options

Answers

• amarever
    amarever Member Posts: 166 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    @JackE
    Yes. I can edit and save the edit with the exact same name. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options
    Now try to edit and save the very same file on the HDD partition that you copied it from.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    I opened and edited the same file on HDD. 
    It opened as read only format.
    I couldn't save the changes, as it prompted the save as dialogue box.

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    When I tried to save the file as Read Me_1.txt to the same folder, the following error was shown. 
  • amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    I would like to hear from you. 
  • JackE
    Options
    The good news is that your Windows partitions are readable and copy-able. The bad news is that Windows was probably in fast startup mode that locks the partitions and files into read-only.

The easiest fix isn't available to you, since you can't boot Windows to turn off fast startup to release the files and partitions. So we have to try to do it from LinuxMint which risks further corruption. Want to take the risk?

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Let's give it a try.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. What is the NTFS partition number (example /dev/sdb6???) from which you couldn't save the text file? Refer to this gparted image you posted earlier.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    It's /dev/sdb6
  • JackE
    Options
    Go to the terminal command prompt. Enter 'sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdb6'. If it seems to complete successfully, then check to see if you can edit and save the text file in the sdb6 partition.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Ok... Let me check it. 
  • amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    I ran the command.... See the screenshot. 
    But unable to save after edit. It's still read only. Still delete, cut and rename options are greyed out. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Repeat the process. See if the same terminal screen appears.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    Please see the screenshot. After repeating, i am not able to save after edit. 
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Time for the big guns. So that we don't mess up the LinuxMint drive, please disconnect it so that only the crippled and locked Win10 drive is connected.

(1) Then from boot the LinuxMint installation USB and run GPartEd from the stick.

(2) Select and clean the troublesome FAT32 EFI partition only. We want it to be an empty 100MB FAT32 partition.

(3) Exit GPartEd. Shut system off.

(4) Replace LinuxMint installation USB with Win10 installation USB

(5) Try to boot from the Win10 installation USB now that the EFI partition is clean.

(6) If successful, we want to go to the troubleshooting advanced option to try to re-build this EFI partition with diskpart and bootrec and bcd boot commands. It's an involved process if we get to this point so we save this for later.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Ok. Let me do this and revert. 
  • amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    I am getting same blue screen error after this. 
    The above screenshot is before formatting. Su
    Successful message. 
    This is after formatting. HDD
    HDD is not showing in boot devices menu after formatting the EFI partition. 
  • JackE
    Options
    The Linux Installation USB stick boots OK with only the Windows HDD connected.
    The Win10 installation USB stick does not boot OK with only the Windows HDD connected.

Hmmm? This might be trying to tell us something more about the USB sticks than the Windows HDD.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Yes... But I have 2 flash drives with 2 different versions of windows and tried with both of them. 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> I have 2 flash drives with 2 different versions of windows and tried with both of them.  .>>>

Perhaps we need to re-visit the two Win10 flash drives.

(1) Do either of the Win10 flash drives boot without any internal HDDs or SSDs connected?

(2) Does the Linux flash drive boot without any internal HDDs or SSDs connected?

Jack E/NJ