Acer Swift 3 (Model no. SF315-41-R9S1) boot failure and unable to repair or reinstall fresh OS.

Options
167891012»

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I doubt the issue is with the BIOS, I believe it more likely with the USB ports. I can't come up with a theory where the boot environment allows Linux boots and not Windows boot. The Boot Menu is OS agnostic.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amarever
    amarever Member Posts: 166 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @JackE
    Let me make it more clear!
    The SSD  of my PC is installed with Linux Mint. At first, we formatted only the EFI partition of HDD with GPartEd of installed Linux OS (not with bootable GPartEd LIVE flash drive) and tried to boot with the windows flash drive, but couldn't succeed.
    Later, I formatted the whole HDD and tried to boot with WINDOWS flash drive. This too doesn't give me any positive result.
  • amarever
    Options
    @billsey
    What should I do now to diagnose further? ...in either case (BIOS or USB ports)??

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Later, I formatted the whole HDD and tried to boot with WINDOWS flash drive.>>>

(1) Does NOT matter that you formatted the HDD.
    (2) You've already proven there is nothing wrong with the bootable Linux installation flash drive.
    (3) You've also proven there is nothing wrong with the bootable Live GPartEd flash drive.
    (4) This means you've proven that there is nothing wrong with your BIOS firmware or USB hardware ports.
    (5) This all means that there is that there is very likely something wrong with the bootable Windows installation flash drives that you've been using.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Ok sir.
    I will try to find out what's going wrong with the bootable Windows installation flash drives.
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes. Please find out exactly what method or steps your friend is following to make the Windows flash drive and from what machine he's trying to do it on.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Sure sir. 
    I will do. 
  • amarever
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @JackE
    @billsey
    @egydiocoelho

Greetings to all!
    I would like to thank all of you for your continued support. 
    Happy to inform you that I fixed the issue with a trial and error method. The laptop responded to Windows setup without throwing the sick 🤮 blue screen error again! There was no issue  either with creating method of Installation Media drive or with the ISO file. 
    Thanks! 

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Happy to ping you back after a long time! 😊
    A special mention for your help!
    Now windows 10 home is installed back... But PC Health Check app returns this message... 👇Is this version of processor not compatible for windows 11 upgrade.??? 🤔 
  • JackE
    Options
    Until the SF315-41 shows up on this ACER compatiblity list, it doesn't meet current Win11 requirements. So stay with Win10.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Ok sir, 
    Thanks! 😊
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, I think the Ryzen 5 needs to be a 3xxx for Windows 11 support...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SilverFrost
    SilverFrost Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    amarever said:
    HI @egydiocoelho and @billsey !
    Additional information:
    Please see the screenshot. This is the message running for a short while, before ACER logo appears when booting. 
    (I haven't tried the FAT 32 FS yet) 

Interesting
  • amarever
    Options
    @billsey
    Ok, sir. 😊
    Let us wait till Acer tests this model and releases compatible drivers! 
    Thanks! 

• billsey
    Options
    No need to wait, Microsoft has already said that the Ryzen 5 2xxx CPUs are not Windows 11 compatible, so you'll want to just stick with Windows 10 until such time as you might be ready for new hardware. It's not a driver issue...
  • amarever
    Options
    @billsey
    🙄
    Ok sir. 
    Thanks for sharing this info! 
  • dforce72
    dforce72 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello @amarever.

Could you tell me what you did to make it work with Windows. I have the same model and same defect as you. I even use an SSD and a HD.

When I format it with Linuxmint, everything works normally, but with Windows it presents the same blue screen that was giving you.

I tested several versions of the Windows ISO. And nothing to solve. With Linux, both SSD and HD work.

I know it's been 2 years since you finalized this topic, but if you can give me at least a guide, I would be very grateful.

Have a good day.

• billsey
    Options

@dforce72 rather than posting to a really old thread like this one, start a new thread using the Ask a Question button with your issue. Include your full model number. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx. Describe what is not working and what you have tried so far. The SF315-41 models should work with Windows 10.