Acer Swift 3 (Model no. SF315-41-R9S1) boot failure and unable to repair or reinstall fresh OS.

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good idea. Better yet, we could try a bootable GPartEd stick. That way, if it boots, we can clean, partition and format the SSD.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    amarever Member Posts: 166 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Does your laptop allow you to change bootmode to legacy by creating a password in setsupervisorpassword?

@eg@egydiocoelho
    Nope. The boot mode is set for UEFI only. Doesn't allow toggling even after setting BIOS Supervisor password. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Try to boot from GPartEd live.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    JackE said:
    Try to boot from GPartEd live.
    @JackE
    I don't know how to do this. Let me do Google search and try it.
    Thanks. 😊 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Try installing windows on another computer. Then connect ssd to your laptop and check whether windows starts or not.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options
    You musta missed my earlier post. Here it is with the GPartEd link.  >>>Good idea. Better yet, we could try a bootable GPartEd stick. That way, if it boots, we can clean, partition and format the SSD. >>>

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    😊
    I didn't miss it. But I need some time to explore this OS and its loading procedure. Sorry for my English! 🙁
    Btw, there are different distros in Lunux. Which one would you suggest me for our testing purpose? And, if that interface serves me a Windows-like environment, it would be better! 
  • amarever
    Options
    Try installing windows on another computer. Then connect ssd to your laptop and check whether windows starts or not.

@egydiocoelho
    How would a OS installed through another version of BIOS  (in another computer) support this BIOS settings? Please clear this doubt 🙄
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Btw, there are different distros in Lunux. Which one would you suggest me for our testing purpose? And, if that interface serves me a Windows-like environment, it would be better! >>>

I suggest LinuxMint Cinnamon version 19.3 for testing since it's the most stable right now. It can be set up with nearly the same look, feel & function of Windows 7 only faster. It can also run many useful Windows programs using WINE overlay. It runs all the Microsoft Office suite programs under LibreOffice for both Linux and Windows.   Cinnamon 19.3 and 20.2 are mostly what I use on all my machines now. 

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Thanks so much. 😊
    I will give it a try and revert to you in case I get stuck up. 
  • amarever
    Options
    @JackE

Glad to ping you after long gap. ☺️
    I made a bootable flash drive with Linux mint - Cinnamon 19.3. and tried to boot the machine. The installer initializes and works fine unlike the windows installer (always showing blue screen error) .
    But i didn't proceed to install the OS. Before that, I need to decide on which disk I should install it.
    I have 2 disks. 
    1. HDD (1TB).... Windows installed
    2. SSD (120 GB).... This is brand new and blank.

Now my requirements are:
    I need to speed up the booting process. This is why, I bought a new SSD on which I wanted to install the windows 10 and free up the existing HDD only for storage. Unfortunately this doesn't happen due to windows set up failure
    I have 200 GB personal files on HDD. I want atleast 100 GB of them back. I found them intact in live session of bootable flash drive. 

Please suggest me which one would be better....
    1. Installing Linux mint on new SSD, transferring only important personal data (only upto100 GB) to SSD and then completely wiping the HDD for installing Windows on it. (Later I can install windows on SSD once the root problem is fixed).
    In this method, will I be able to completely wipe linux and clean install windows on SSD? I am worried whether linux would leave some traces and create issues with windows installation on this disk. 
    2. Installing linux on HDD along side windows as dual boot mode and then cleaning only the windows partitionS after moving my personal files to SSD. (in this dual mode installation, will my personal files be safe? 🤔)
    Your suggestions would be appreciated! 
  • amarever
    Options
    @egydiocoelho and @billsey
    Happy to ping you again! 😊
    Linux bootable flash drive seems to be a life saver. But i am skeptical to proceed further with linux OS. Please share your knowledge to assist me in choosing the right disk for Linux OS.
    Please see my previous post... 
    Thanks! 
  • JackE
    Options
    Many Linux installers have some issues with detecting HDD1 or sdb internal boot devices. I suggest that you live boot the Linux installer. Then run gparted. It usually defaults to HDD0 or sda. If the dropdown arrow shows HDD1 or sdb, you should be able to install Linux on the m.2 SSD if you want. See gparted image below.

Unfortunately, the m.2 120GB SSD is quite small for fast dual booting. So I'd probably boot the operating system I intend to use the most from it. If it's Win10, you should be OK. If it's Linux, you might have an issue with booting from it if the Linux installer doesn't see it as a bootable drive.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Please see the image of BIOS information tab below. Here the HDD is HDD1 and the SSD that I am going to install is HDD0. (it's not installed yet). In this case, the Linux installer should detect the SSD (HDD0)... Right? 
    How to run gParted? Is it an inbuilt tool of any Linux OS? In my case, where can I find it during LinuxMint live booting? 

• JackE
    Options
    Yes, Gparted should be listed on the live USB desktop. If not, open terminal command prompt and enter 'gparted'. You can test it now to see if recognizes HDD1 at least.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Yes sir. It recognizes HDD1(931 GB).
    The second one (15.24 GB) is the flash drive (live bootable).
    You can see a Basic data partition of 800 GB (sda6). Now I want to shrink this partition and create an unallocated space of 200 GB  where I'd like to install Linus mint.
    How to do this shrink? 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>the SSD that I am going to install is HDD0. (it's not installed yet)>>>

That seems promising. When are you going to install the SSD? Then run Gparted again to see if it sees both HDD0 & HDD1 at the  same time?

>>>How to do this shrink? >>>

It's safest to pre-shrink the NTFS partition from inside Windows with Control Panel Disk Manager by pressing WIN+R entering 'diskmgmt.msc'

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Ok. I will do that and revert to you now. 😊
  • amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    It recognizes both HDD0 (SSD) and HDD1 (HDD) at the same time after installing SSD into the laptop. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Excellent! In this case, I suggest you select ssd to run linux installation!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)