Acer Swift 3 (Model no. SF315-41-R9S1) boot failure and unable to repair or reinstall fresh OS.

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options
    You cannot boot with an NTFS format USB drive. The UEFI bootstrap only recognizes a FAT32 format GPT partition USB drive. 

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    amarever Member Posts: 166 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Ok sir, But MCT doesn't do the job correctly.
    ...and rufus recommends NTFS only for iso image size greater than 4 GB. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Use FAT32, not NTFS.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    I tried earlier in FAT32. Not working 
  • JackE
    Options
    Try it again.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    Ok... I tried with v.1511 in FAT32 format created by Rufus. No use. 
    I will try the new version with Rufus.. 
    Thanks. 
  • JackE
    Options
    What boot error message are you seeing? Something is wrong with the USB drive preparation. Please show the Rufus screenshot.  Prepare it exactly the way you prepared the Linux installation iso.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    >>> What boot error message are you seeing? >>>
    After ACER logo, a blank blue screen and powering off after 1 minute. 

>>> Please show the Rufus screenshot>>>

>>> Prepare it exactly the way you prepared the Linux installation iso >>>
    In fact, I prepared Linux Installer Flash Drive with an android app (EtchDroid) on my phone itself. 😜
  • JackE
    Options
    This NTFS format setup won't work. It must be FAT32 format.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @JackE
    Ok sir. 
    I will re do it and try.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,796 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sorry Jack, but it doesn't have to be FAT32, Windows will UEFI boot from NTFS images just fine.
    I see the filename you are imaging is "Windows.iso", did you rename that from the original download? Microsoft uses different naming conventions with their images. Any chance your image isn't the stock Microsoft one? The one I most recently used was something like: SW_DVD9_Win_10_1909_64BIT_English_HomeProEDUSLS_N_OEM_X22-15306.iso but that was an older version.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    edited October 2021
    Options
    None of my UEFI bootstrappers in non-CSM overlay mode boot from an NTFS stick. At any rate, he was originally trying to boot an earlier archived 1511 version because it doesn't seem to lock out disabling read-only attributes for trusted files the EFI partition.

Jack E/NJ

• amarever
    Options
    @billsey
    Thanks for replying, sir. 
    One of my friends is doing all these jobs, since I don't have a Windows PC. So I couldn't ensure the accuracy. 
    Still I will try to find out the source of image he is using to prepare the installation media. 
  • amarever
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @JackE
    I formatted the HDD completely in GPT-NTFS style with Linux GPartEd, though you hadn't instructed this step. Now all the older files of windows OS don't exist in HDD anymore. 
    After this operation too, the bootable flash drives don't work. 
    The last trial is still reserved. That is the FAT32 format of installation USB drive with latest version of Windows ISO. 
    If anything else needs to be checked or tweaked, please ping me. 😊
  • amarever
    Options
    @billsey
    I confirmed from him. The downloaded iso file name from Microsoft site is Windows.iso only. He checked downloading a different language Windows iso too and found the same name. 
  • billsey
    Options
    And sure enough I just tried it with the current 21H1 tool and it did use the Windows.iso name. That's a change from the past. I'm a bit stumped as to why you aren't able to boot and install from the flash drive...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amarever
    Options
    @billsey
    Yes sir, 
    Me too! 😔
    In the past, I installed windows many times very smoothly without even bothering much about the settings. The whole experience used to be very smooth and flawless. First time I am facing an issue like this.
    By the way, please tell me if there is any way to force MCT create a GPT flash drive. Even if I choose a UEFI machine with GPT partition - hard drive, it creates the installation media in MBR partition only. It's annoying. 😣
  • billsey
    Options
    You need the GPT on the drive in the computer, not on the flash drive. MCT should create everything it needs to boot into the install environment. As with you, I have done this more times than I can count and it's always just worked.
  • amarever
    Options
    @billsey
    Ok sir.
    Can we suspect the BIOS for any issue?
    But I could install LINUX with this BIOS without any issue. It allowed the live environment too before even installing the OS. 
    I don't understood why I am stuck up with windows installation. 😐

• JackE
    Options
    amarever said:
    @JackE
    I formatted the HDD completely in GPT-NTFS style with Linux GPartEd, though you hadn't instructed this step. Now all the older files of windows OS don't exist in HDD anymore. 
    After this operation too, the bootable flash drives don't work. 
    The last trial is still reserved. That is the FAT32 format of installation USB drive with latest version of Windows ISO. 
    If anything else needs to be checked or tweaked, please ping me. 😊
    I'm waiting for your response on this? The GPartEd operation on the HDD should've been done from a bootable GPartEd live flash drive. It should not have had any effect on any bootable flash drive. The bootable GPartEd live flash drive should still boot.   

Jack E/NJ