Acer Swift 3 (Model no. SF315-41-R9S1) boot failure and unable to repair or reinstall fresh OS.

Options

Answers

• amarever
    amarever Member Posts: 166 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    @billsey
    Thanks.
    Yes. It's out of warranty now. Otherwise I would've claimed warranty service from Acer!
    Now I need to get it checked from service centre for any hardware issue. 😔
    Does software used to create 'installation flash drive' have any impact on this? I mean.. Rufus or MS..? 
    This time I approached a local PC repair technician for this job, since I don't have another PC to do it myself. I don't know which way he burnt the ISO image into it! 
  • amarever
    Options
    @egydiocoelho
    Sorry for the late response for your fix. i was following up the troubleshooting steps suggested by @billsey. To avoid mix up of 2 trouble shoots simultaneously, I have not tried what you suggested.
    Please elaborate the windows ver. 1511 method so that I can understand this better and proceed.
    Note: I have tried installing the new version with another flash drive as a last resort which is also unsuccessful. 
    Thanks! 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Only version 1511 allows you to use the efi recovery commands. Other versions of windows block this feature. Then just check the dell website, which shows the correct commands. Now, you can also use a live linux distribution to verify that your computer works correctly.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • amarever
    Options
    @egydiocoelho
    Thanks for your prompt reply! 😁
    I will try with Ver.1511 and update you. If I am stuck with finding the correct ISO image for this version, I will revert to you.
    Installing Linux on my PC is something I never thought about and it's a good idea to trouble shoot using a different platform. Since I am totally blank in Linux atmosphere, let me have some time to explore this before I test this on my machine. 😊
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The issue with 1511 is that it's now 6 years old (2015) and likely doesn't have drivers for the newer chipsets.
    Both Rufus and Microsoft can build an install flash drive that works, but they do it in slightly different ways. Some of the other apps don't always work right, so you can get a drive that you think ought to work, but it doesn't. If you are a novice at this use the Microsoft tool, if more comfortable then use Rufus.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amarever
    Options
    @billsey
    True... I am trying to figure out the hardware issue first installing a linux OS.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is the problem still occurring?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • amarever
    Options
    @egydiocoelho
    Thanks for your concern! 
    Sir, I am not able to decide which Linux version would be better for this machine. Could you please suggest me the one and the website to download it? ☺️ (I haven't tried 1511 yet... Which one should I try first... Linux or Win 1511.... to determine whether the hardware is healthy?) 
  • billsey
    Options
    Try Windows first, several of the Linux distributions muck with the EFI load and make it difficult to get back to Windows. Unless you are sure you are going to dump Windows entirely it's better to start with a working Windows install and add Linux as a second choice. What is failing when you try a clean install?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amarever
    Options
    @billsey
    Ok sir.
    I am stuck at the same blue screen and using  options given below the error message like  ENTER, F8 only flickers the blue screen for a second and not fetch any new page. Pressing F1 restarts the PC back to this blue screen itself. Pressing ESC gets me BIOS menu. I have only USB bootable drive to select from the boot options sub menu. (HDD is removed and SSD is brand new without OS) 😊

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you send a screenshot of the blue screen so we can see the error code?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• amarever
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @egydiocoelho and @billsey
    Thanks for your prompt support! 😊
    (I haven't tried with 1511 yet).
    I tried to boot with bootable windows 10 (latest version available to download on MS site) -
    installation flash drive and HDD installed (SSD  removed). 
    In BIOS settings, I made the following changes:
    1. Set Supervisor Password for BIOS
    2. Disabled SECURE BOOT
    3. Enabled F12 Boot Menu.
    4. In Boot Priority order, I set USB HDD (Flash drive) in no. 1 position by pressing F6. 
    5.Finally exit saving changes.

Now I pressed F12 and entered the BOOT MENU. Here I could see USB HDD (Flash drive) already in no. 1 position.
    I pressed ENTER to continue boot with Flash drive. The ACER logo appeared now. 

Now this screen stays for less than a minute. Then the blue screen with error code appears...
    You can see 3 options given in the bottom... 
    1. Enter.... Only this blue screen flickers and nothing happens.
    2. F8..... Only this blue screen flickers and nothing happens. 
    3. ESC..... opens the UEFI firmware settings (BIOS) screen. 
    If I don't press any of the above keys, the laptop powers off on its own, in less than a minute after this blue screen started displaying.

The same event happens with different combo like...

1. with same HDD plus Bootable Flash drive, but 
    SECURE BOOT - > Enabled. 
    2. with new blank SSD (HDD removed) plus Bootable Flash drive, but 
    SECURE BOOT - > Disabled.
    3. with new blank SSD (HDD removed) plus Bootable Flash drive, but 
    SECURE BOOT - > Enabled.
    Hope this would provide you more clarity!

[Thread edited to remove unique or personal content]
  • billsey
    Options
    OK, that is telling you that the EFI on the USB drive is bad. Either try a different flash drive or redo the creation of this one.
  • amarever
    Options
    @billsey
    Is any hardware failing (as suggested earlier here)? 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The best option is to try a cold install of windows 10.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    Options
    We won't be able to diagnose any potential hardware failures in the laptop until we can get a working boot from the Windows install flash drive. Right now it looks like either the flash drive is bad or the ISO you created it from is corrupted.
  • amarever
    Options
    @egydiocoelho and @billsey!
    I will try again and update you! 😊
  • amarever
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @billsey and @egydiocoelho
    Happy to ping you both after a long gap! 😊
    I created windows installation media in a new flash drive of 8 GB size using RUFUS latest version. The file system I chose is NTFS and the partition type is GPT. I tested this flash drive with a Lenovo AIO PC and it's working fine. 
    Then I proceeded to boot the laptop with only SSD installed (new one without OS). As usual, I disabled SECURE BOOT, enabled F12 Boot Menu and exited the BIOS (after saving). Then I pressed F12 to enter Boot menu and could see flash drive there. Continued booting... after ACER logo, a blank blue screen appeared and the laptop powered off after ~ 45 seconds. 
    The same cycle repeated when I tried with only HDD installed. 
    Please refer the screenshots. 
    What could be the problem now? 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Try changing the usb stick filesystem to fat32 and also converting to gpt, from the command prompt as administrator:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    Then extract the windows 10 iso to the root of the usb stick.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• amarever
    Options
    HI @egydiocoelho and @billsey !
    Additional information:
    Please see the screenshot. This is the message running for a short while, before ACER logo appears when booting. 
    (I haven't tried the FAT 32 FS yet)