ACER PREDATOR HELIOS 300 PH315-53- loud fan noise plugged in. Over double RPM

Answers

• Ferengo
    Ferengo Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Ferengo said:
    Ferengo said:
    No. It does improve it. What I had to do i make a custom plan. I copied all settings that the battery had on the Acer plan and put them in both the battery and plugged in. This has helped.

bro, would u min sharing ur power plan settings? cos I created mine and it's still the same.
    Hey bud. No problem. You have to go through a few settings but try these. This is the custom plan I set up.

Once I had the plan set up I checked the power settings and they're at this. 

The Nividia app I set to this so the GPU doesn't drain the battery too much. See the battery boost. This is only in game but worth doing I guess.

Here's a quick screen shot of my battery life with these settings on. 

Now when I charge I do still get the fan kicking in but no where near as bad and once it's passed 95% it stops. If you turn off the battery saver when charging I can't remember but it either makes it better or worse, easy to check  :)

Hope these settings help. Let me know if it does or not and if you need any help. I'm no expert but I'll try to help. 
    What is ur GPU fan speed during charging at idle?
    About 1300-1400rpm
  • Ferengo
    busu3 said:
    What are your temps while charging when idle and while gaming? 
    For gaming CPU is 56 and GPU is 43 while system shows 45 (This is after about 5 mins of Modern Warfare)

Charging CPU is 45 and GPU is nothing (set to discreet). System shows 40

Idle CPU is 41 and GPU is nothing (set to discreet). System shows 38 (Chrome was open during this as was typing the reply)
  • martymcflyjr
    martymcflyjr Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same issue with my unit. Is yours solved ?
  • Ferengo
    To a point yes. 

If you follow my earlier guide for setting up a custom power plan then it greatly reduces the issue. 

Since the issue is when charging you're taking more power from the mains than battery. My above plan reduces that amount to the same as when it runs off battery in an eco mode, plus the additional power it's taking to charge. So the laptop will run hotter and require more cooling than just running it off battery. My settings reduce the power demands and let it run cooler. Fan will kick in but not as bad and from memory it stops at about 80% full charge for whatever reason. 

Let me know if those settings help you or not. 

Also, nice one on your username  :)
  • corvusthegenius
    corvusthegenius Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter
    Ferengo said:
    To a point yes. 

If you follow my earlier guide for setting up a custom power plan then it greatly reduces the issue. 

Since the issue is when charging you're taking more power from the mains than battery. My above plan reduces that amount to the same as when it runs off battery in an eco mode, plus the additional power it's taking to charge. So the laptop will run hotter and require more cooling than just running it off battery. My settings reduce the power demands and let it run cooler. Fan will kick in but not as bad and from memory it stops at about 80% full charge for whatever reason. 

hey, what is ur firmware name on device manager? can u check it?
  • Ferengo
    Ferengo said:
    To a point yes. 

hey, what is ur firmware name on device manager? can u check it?
    Not 100% sure how to check what you're asking for. I'm in there and click Fireware, then system firmware and there's no number. I click to get properties and it tells me it's by Microsoft, Version 10.0.18362.1

Is that what you're after?
  • He wants to know the version of the bios. The firmware driver can update the bios through the windows update.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ferengo
    He wants to know the version of the bios. The firmware driver can update the bios through the windows update.
    How do you find the bios version?
  • corvusthegenius
    Ferengo said:
    He wants to know the version of the bios. The firmware driver can update the bios through the windows update.
    restart the laptop, then spam click f2 before the predator logo comes out until it reaches bios. then, press f1 to go to advanced bios and check the version.
  • corvusthegenius
    Ferengo said:
    so what is ur bios  version bro? i still didnt manage to fix this issue.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited October 2020
    You can check with the acer care center.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Can you check the bios version at the acer care center?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• loschoenly
    loschoenly Member Posts: 1 New User
    Have the same trouble!

Liga sahabat

• Ferengo
    Can you check the bios version at the acer care center?
    Cool. It's V1.01
  • Does the same problem occur when updating the bios to version 1.07?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ferengo
    Does the same problem occur when updating the bios to version 1.07?
    Wouldn't know, I have Bios V1.01
  • I suggest that you perform a cleaning of the fans and update the bios:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ferengo
    I suggest that you perform a cleaning of the fans and update the bios:

Thanks for the help but not sure you have read the thread correctly. It's resolved for me. I no longer have an issue. 
  • OK! You solved the problem here:
    Ferengo said:
    Mar23 said:
    I have the same problem with the RTX 2060 version. The laptop is very quite without the charger but the battery life is ***** (no more than 2 hours doing literally nothing) so I can't enjoy the quiteness so long. I haven't found a solution and Acer didn't gave a razonable reason or response. I love the performance but this is unnaceptable, another "gaming" laptops manage this so much better...
    Hi Mar23.

I'vr been playing around it it does settle down a little when it gets to about 80% charge. 

I did find a solution though. Go to power and sleep settings the click on additional power settings. Acer have their own custom power setting. Just deselect that and pick something like balanced or (if you want really quiet) Power saving. On the left you can even create your own custom power plan which I did. Mine is almost silent unless I'm gaming. The fan kicks in still now and again but nowhere as bad and only when needed. 

The power plan I created I just copied the settings in the Acer one for the battery side and just put those settings for both battery and plugged in. You can always swap back to another power plan if you want to run the machine at a higher performace. With this setting I get about 4 hours on battery. Also set battery saver at 100% rather than 20% and it'll give you a boost too. 

Hope it helps. 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ferengo
    OK! You solved the problem here:
    Ferengo said:
    Mar23 said:
    I have the same problem with the RTX 2060 version. The laptop is very quite without the charger but the battery life is ***** (no more than 2 hours doing literally nothing) so I can't enjoy the quiteness so long. I haven't found a solution and Acer didn't gave a razonable reason or response. I love the performance but this is unnaceptable, another "gaming" laptops manage this so much better...
    Hi Mar23.

I'vr been playing around it it does settle down a little when it gets to about 80% charge. 

I did find a solution though. Go to power and sleep settings the click on additional power settings. Acer have their own custom power setting. Just deselect that and pick something like balanced or (if you want really quiet) Power saving. On the left you can even create your own custom power plan which I did. Mine is almost silent unless I'm gaming. The fan kicks in still now and again but nowhere as bad and only when needed. 

The power plan I created I just copied the settings in the Acer one for the battery side and just put those settings for both battery and plugged in. You can always swap back to another power plan if you want to run the machine at a higher performace. With this setting I get about 4 hours on battery. Also set battery saver at 100% rather than 20% and it'll give you a boost too. 

Hope it helps. 

That's the one.