SP315-51 No Bootable Device - Can't boot into Windows

Options

Answers

• chai613
    chai613 Member Posts: 105 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    My enclosure (adapter).
    Photos
    Open my laptop to see if I can connect the HDD to my PC via this USB connector and see if I'm able to search the drive?
  • chai613
    Options
    OK.  I'll open and try.  I imagine I'll need the power supply.  Guess I'll  try without first.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    It'll only work on a 2.5" drive if the long black data connector also has internal powered lines either by the USB port or by the adapter's own AC power. 3.5" drives typically use a separate power plug.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    So my Acer HDD drive SATA connector is 4.0 cm wide, while the connector in my enclosure is 5.5 cm.  I've closed the cover, but screws are still out, in case you think I should do something else before replacingthe screws. 

I'll order the Star Tech adapter and wait for next week to receive it.  Thinking ahead.

The current HDD tests well, I can explore it reliably connecting and reconnecting multiple times over a span of time. Course of action?

The HDD is not able to be interrogated reliably.  I guess then I purchase a smaller HDD and expect it to operate correctly and accept a restored Windows 10, using the Windows 10 bootable  install USB drive created from the Windows 10 ISO and Rufus?
  • chai613
    Options
    Meaning a smaller capacity 2.5" HDD drive, like 250 or 500 GB.
  • JackE
    Options
    A 1 TB WesterDigital HDD is only $44. That's what I use. Why would you want to go to a smaller drive for the same or even higher price? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071F9MLJJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Only thought of a smaller drive for this machine because its been slow to perform, slow to boot up and sluggish since shortly after it was born.  Software?  Don't know.  But then JordanB said his friend had this problem with this same machine SP315-51 (maybe not the 79NT version, he's not sure) and he replaced the fellow's 1TB HDD with a 250 SSD and it worked great and the fellow said he was very happy, it was faster than his prior drive.
    Regarding the size, we only use it for my wife's Facebook and email.  There's little data stored on it.  If it was 500 GB most would be unused.
    Anyway, a 1TB would be fine for similar money, I'm just concerned about not having a repeat performance.   Looking for the scotch you mentioned! 
  • JackE
    Options
    For what you said your wife does with this laptop, she won't notice a hoots worth of difference between a large HDD or a small SSD. All we know so far is that there seems to be something wrong with the HDD that's in there now. Doesn't matter if it was a 250GB, 500GB or 1 TB HDD. Let's just first see if it's the drive itself or something else wrong with the mainboard or even its ribbon cable connector. If it's the drive itself after testing with the startech cable, then you can decide to go with a big new HDD or a small new SSD or a something-in-between hybrid drive--- whichever will make you feel better.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
     OK, will do.
    Thanks, Jack.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,839 Trailblazer
    edited April 2020
    Options
    And I'd skip the HDD entirely and use a SSD instead. They are really getting to be cost effective and give a great boost to your startup. Also your laptop supports an M.2 SATA SSD in the 2280 form factor. I'd get one of those and if we can clean up the HDD to work well you can drop it back in as a data drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • chai613
    Options
    Thanks, billsey.   I wouldn'twant to purchase a replacement forthe HDD until I know mine is bad.  If mine is good, I'd be in trouble replacing it into a machine which isnot operating properly.  I fo like the idea of an SSD, but our needs forthismachine are limited.
  • billsey
    Options
    That is what the whole "boot from an install image and use diskpart from command prompt" is for. I diskpart can see the drive and read the partitions, including the hidden ones, it's likely just a corrupted system and we can usually fix it. If the drive can't be seen at all it's more likely bad hardware and a drive replacement with a reload of the OS is appropriate.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    edited April 2020
    Options
    As I recall, when this particular machine didn't boot, HDD also didn't show up on diskpart from the USB's X : \windows\system32 > _  prompt. Like it was disconnected from the mainboard or not getting power. We've re-seated it a few times but showed the same behavior. Sometimes it would boot, mostly not. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Options
    Then it's most likely a bad drive... Time to replace it.
  • chai613
    Options
    Yes, Jack, it only booted to Windows a few times immediately after first using the Windows 10 install self booting USB drive created with Rufus from the ISO file downloaded with the Media Creation Tool.  Booting from that USB drive and tapping F12 went into a repair mode.  My wife's sign in page came up, then her desktop.  The action crawled, however.  It was shut down and re-started, booting back properly, but slowly.  Again, it crawled.  Now, it won't boot into Windows anymore.  It shows No Bootable Drive, or the Acer name comes up for 10 minutes then it shuts itself off.  As Jack said, I've removed and replaced the HDD connectors, reseating it 10 times at least, but no improvement.  I tried to boot with the USB Windows installer drive tapping F12 again, but no dice.

I've ordered a USB - HDD adapter which should arrive by next weekend.
    We thought I'd check the HDD on my PC to see if Windows file explorer sees anything on the drive.  If not, I'd replace the drive.  If so, if the HDD shows files on my PC then what could I do to repair the Acer machine? 
  • chai613
    Options
    I ordered the The following:
    StarTech.com SATA to USB Cable - USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter - External Converter for SSD/HDD Data Transfer (USB3S2SAT3CB)
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @chai613

Here's a 120 GB SSD for $29.  Free shipping.  No tax collected at sale.
    Here's a 240 GB SSD for $40

If you're just using it for Facebook and email, 120 GB should be fine.

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-bx500-120gb/p/N82E16820156186

If you have a faulty HDD installed, it's could be the reason why you can't boot your Windows 10 USB.  

You're at a little bit of a disadvantage since @billsey, @jackE and I all have a spare HDD/SSD that we could have popped in there and figured this out two weeks ago.

To install new SSD

1. Remove old HDD
    2. Install new SSD
    3. Reassemble
    4. Insert Windows 10 USB in to USB port
    5. Turn on laptop and boot Windows 10 USB
    6.  Select Custom Install
    7. Click Next
    8.  That's it. You just have to sit back and let it do its thing.

If you would rather order your orignal Acer OEM recovery media from Acer instead of using the vanilla Windows 10, please see link below.  I think the official Acer recovery media is around $50 USD....so a lot cheaper to just use the free Windows 10 USB that you have now.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery

Edit:   After a couple weeks go by and you don't have any problems with your new SSD, make sure you have the latest BIOS----which I think you already do have the latest.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • chai613
    Options
    Very compelling! My only hesitation is if I buy a replacement SSD, admittedly low cost, but the problem is not my HDD what's my next step?