SP315-51 No Bootable Device - Can't boot into Windows

Options

Answers

• chai613
    chai613 Member Posts: 105 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
     StevenGen, thank you.  It may well be that the MBR was damaged or lost by a virus.  We've been doing a work around, I think, because the ACER SP315-51  didnt' come with any DVD nor a CD/DVD drive.  I'm now in the Windows Setup mode using a bootable USB drive created with Microsoft Media Creation Tool and the Microsoft Windows 10 ISO download, and Rufus.  However, I'm stuck, as I explained above.
  • chai613
    Options
    Should I consider trying to repair my Master Boot Record?  Or have we already set that aside, Jack?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,952 Trailblazer
    edited April 2020
    Options
    The MS Media Creation Tool and Win-10 .iso file does not need Rufus, its an automatic bootable file once you have used an .iso program extractor like  PowerISO as and if you had a OP system you can activate the installation process within windows but and as you don't have that, you will have to unpack the .iso file and "copy and paste" the Win-10 files to a USB drive, then, make sure that your SP315-51 boots from a USB and go through the Win-10 installation process, that is all that you have to do to start the Win-10 installation process.

Now with the "
    Custom Installation Method" that is only available if you have a previously installed Win-10 installation not if you don't. In your case you can only do a 'Clean Install' and you will lose everything and that includes your Win-7 files as you have to do a 'Format' of your "Disk 0" so that your "Disk 0" is formatted to NTFS and to be compatible to UEFI. That is why you are stuck as Win-10 intallation hasent got a compatible HDD to install Win-10 onto. That is why I said for you to try and recover the "MBR" of your old Win-7, so that you can boot into Windows 7 and after, you can backup all your Win-7 files and do either a 'Clean Install of Win-10 or do an upgrade within Win-7 to Win-10? Its your choice,as that is what you have to do now.. See this guide here: https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

But in saying all this, you should have a Win-10 Home key that your OEM 
    SP315-51 came with and a Win-10 installation shouldn't be a problem, as you must have an electronic registration with MS.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Should I consider trying to repair my Master Boot Record?  Or have we already set that aside, Jack? >>>

Boot from the USB installation stick again. You need to try to get to the command prompt probably thru the advanced options section. From there we can try to see what the issue is with the HDD. The command prompt will look something like a black screen with white letters, probably something like X : \ > _ with a blinking cursor.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Jack, I'll try to boot from the Command Prompt.  Steven, Jack, Jordan and billsey and I have been working this for almost 2 weeks (interrupted) already.  I am using my PC now running Windows 7, but the problem is my wife's ACER which had Windows 10.  She didn't have much data on it, and is OK with recovering that data from another source, so repairing the MBR would be fine, but reinstalling Windows 10 is also OK.  I have a bootable USB now which I created from the MCT ISO file and Rufus.  It boots the ACER into Windows Setup.  The ACER BIOS mode was returned to UEFI for this installation.

I'll try to boot from the Command Prompt, but it may have to wait for tomorrow.
    Thanks, guys! 
  • chai613
    Options
    Jack the command prompt I get to is X:\windows\32
    I don't know what command to give to boot using the windows 10 install USB drive.
    What do I do from the command prompt?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,952 Trailblazer
    Options
    Go here: https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/install-windows-10-from-command-prompt-6988.html to see all the commands to start your Win-10 installation from a USB, this should solve your problem with 'the command prompt I get to is X:\windows\32' and what to do next. Cheers
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. I want to make sure we're trying to repair a Win10 computer from the X \windows\system32 command prompt, not Win7. If Win10, enter the following commands. If you get an error message STOP.

(1) Enter 'diskpart'
    (2) At the DISKPART> prompt enter 'list disk'

Post a phone photo of the result if possible.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Thanks, Steven.  Jack, I appreciate the care your taking to make sure I don't hurt the machine.  To recap, I had tried to install to my Acer which I'm pretty sure was running windows 10 before it crashed.  I used the bootable USB Rufus created using the Windows 10 ISO file I downloaded with the Windows Media Creation Tool.

The attached photo shows the result of the actions you wrote.  No error warning received.
  • JackE
    Options
    The HDD in this machine is either disconnected or dead. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    COVID-99?
    Wow!  Sounds like a bad prognosis.
    Could a sudden virus kill a HDD like that, Jack?
    Does one replace with a new HDD or SSD?
    It was a $599 machine 3 years ago.
    Do I just scrap it?

Any reason to try to restore the MBR?

• JackE
    Options
    Unlikely malware could've done this. It looks more like a bad connection between the drive and the mainboard bus to the CPU. You can easily check the drive out on another machine with an inexpensive HDD/SSD-to-USB port adapter to see if it shows up.  SSD's are cheap these days. Gigantic TB HDD's are super cheap. If it was mine, I'd check the drive out on another machine's USB port. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    I've never opened a laptop.  Would I follow a YouTube to learn how, remove the HDD and buy a HDD/SSD-to-USB port adapter 
    (SATA ?) and see if it shows up on another machine, like my PC?

If it shows up as a drive, then the connection between the drive and the Acer main board bus is faulty?

If do, does replacing the drive (with an new HDD) fix the connection?  Since my wife does not store much data on the machine, we dont need a big drive, but a "good" drive would still be nice for general drive purposes.
  • JackE
    Options
    Restate the full ACER model number. I'll check the procedure for removing the drive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Jack, wait a minute!  I re-tried the procedure previously given by JordanB, booting the Windows 10 installation USB by tapping F12.  It went into Repair mode.
    Then, eventually,  it booted to my wife's graphics as you see before it boots into Windows!!!!
    My wife's Acer log in screen comes up.  With the password, it goes to the welcome screen and tries to boot into Windows, but just keeps spinning next to "Welcome".
    Ah, after closing and restarting a few times, Windows desktop!

OMG!
    I had been trying to boot with the USB drive from start without tapping F12.
    I'm going to let it fully boot up and Restart it a few times.  Its crawling...
  • chai613
    Options
    Thank G-D!  Thank JackE, JordanB, billsey,
    and anyone I may have forgotten to name !
  • JackE
    Options
    Aye! I still think you might have an intermittent issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Oh, I see. Could explain.  Anything todo?  Any diagnostics I should do to look fo another cause.  Or to optimize now?
  • chai613
    Options
    Its acting like its shell shocked. Like it has PTSD.   Long delays between activating functions and their taking effect.  Took 7 presses on shut down before it would turn off.
  • JackE
    Options
    Try running the ACER Care Center in the Windows start menu. It has a disk checkup option. However, the way it's acting, it seems more like a connector issue that's not going to be picked up by the checkup software if the machine is running OK when you check. It's an all or nothing sort of thing. Probably going to have to open it up and re-seat the drive at some point. That's why I want to confirm the model number SP315-51 or another model number we're dealing with right now to see how much of a job it's gonna be. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ