SP315-51 No Bootable Device - Can't boot into Windows

Options

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    @chai613

I noticed in one of your previous posts that you have a Seagate 1 TB 5400 RPM HDD inside your Spin.  I'm going to be honest with you.  I know someone who has almost your same Spin model and they had a 1 TB 5400 RPM HDD too.  They said the performance was just so-so....and a little laggy.  They asked me to update to a SSD....so I removed their 2.5 inch HDD and installed a 2.5 inch SSD for them....and now they are happier than a clam with the performance of their Spin SP315-51.  They said the performance w/ SSD is like night and day difference.

@JackE and @billsey can help you install a 2.5 inch SSD.  It's really easy.  Or if your Costco is still open from Corona Virus, they will do it for free if you have membership and bought it there (I think---don't quote me on that).  Bestbuy will install for $40.

You can find a pretty inexpensive 256 GB 2.5 inch SSD which I think is plenty for a Spin SP315-51.  I noticed that Acer installs a 128 GB SSD on some of the newer ones.  And then you can keep you files/photos/video backed up to OneDrive or Google Drive.

Anyway, if I had your SP315-51 with 1 TB HDD 5400 RPM, that's what I would do.

I'm going to be out-of-town...so I can't help....sorry.  Good luck!
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • chai613
    chai613 Member Posts: 105 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Jordan, thank you so much!  It's back up and running because of your help.  Good advice.  I'll take it!  We dont need 1TB it's capacity is barely used.  My wife uses the machine for email and facebook.

Will reboot and let it run.
    I'm taking the data  offof it now while I can too.
     I  see I did a full back up when it was brand new, so Ihave that to use. 

So glad you, billsey and Jack give so generously ofyour time as you do.

Thanks!
  • chai613
    Options
    Jack, it's a Spin 3, SP315-51-79NT

Now, it wont boot back up.  Just see Acer for 5 minutes, then black screen 4 minutes, now blue screen.  Now it shut itself off.
    No fun!
  • chai613
    Options
    On restart, "Preparing Automatic Repair"
  • chai613
    Options
    OK, if I can get it to boot back up into windows.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    I think you've got to bite the bullet, remove 12 screws from the bottom cover, pry the cover off, remove 2 screws holding the battery down. This has to be done in order to  even have a chance of reaching the HDD ribbon cable connector and try to reseat it a few times. Not a terrible job but inconvenient. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    If I'm going to open it up, should I also prepare to replace the HDD (like a smaller SSD, as Jordan spoke of)?  I suppose, if restating the ribbon cable connector a few times will straighten it out for a while, then I'll have time to get a replacement drive.
    OK.  Have some strong whiskey?
  • JackE
    Options
    If it were mine, I'd first try to re-seat the connectors on the existing HDD to see if that resolves the issue. The HDD is plenty fast enough if your wife mainly does email & facebook stuff. Not a lot of HDD activity goes on after the browser & email packages are loaded into RAM so an SSD shouldn't make a noticeable speed difference there. If she's satisfied with it, then I'd probably celebrate with an oz of decent sour mash mixed into a pint of india ale for a refreshing blended boilermaker. Hmmm.   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    LOL
    I've got the back off.  I removed the battery connector.   I removedtge ribbon connector to the HDD.  I've replaced it and done this twice.  I expected a socket type connector like the battery, but the ribbon kinda lays on top of the connector once the flap is reflected opened.  There's little guide to keep lateral alignment.  I have not opened the ribbon connectors also overlying the HDD which seem to be connectors for the ribbon connecting the mother board (labeled MB on the plastic blue flexible tab).

The ribbons over the HDD are secured by adhesive and are firmly in place.  I have no good way toknow whether I have correctly aligned the copper connectors on both sides of the  HDD ribbon connectors.does one just eyeball it to be dead center and hope?
  • chai613
    Options
    I also opened the SATA connector on the battery side of the HDD and then plugged it back in firmly.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I've replaced it and done this twice>>>I also opened the SATA connector on the battery side of the HDD and then plugged it back in firmly.>>>

While I was in there, I probably would've done each about a dozen or so times.  Just to be sure the internal contacts are thoroughly rubbed and cleaned up of any corrosion. But if you've already buttoned it back up, give it a whirl. I'm hoping that'll be all that's needed. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Oh, no.
    Waiting to hear back from you.  
    OK, I'll redo the connections a mess more times each.  Wanted guidance, though, on the connector to the mother board front the HDD because its flat and wide.  No lateral guides to keep alignment.   The copper strips are tiny and I imagine, must line up on both sides, but you cant see when you're straight in line, except by eyeballing it.  Is that what you do?
  • chai613
    Options
    OK, each HDD connector and the MB connector on the ribbon overlying the HDD were opened and closed at least 10 times.  I realized there is a miniature track or recess the connector does sit in, with a smaller guide to keep it in place.  Then the covers slide closed over the top.
    Of course I had to reopen the cover to reconnect the battery.  Done.  It started up fast and into Acer screen, Preparing Automatic Repair". 

Let's see what happens. 
    I'll try the Acer Care Center, Jack,  if it boots into Windows. 

• JackE
    Options
    Like mentioned earlier, if you can actually boot Windows and get to the ACER Care Center, it'll probably test out OK. The problem is when it completely cuts out and you can't boot Windows or  ACER Care Center. Hopefully it won't do that any more. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Unfortunately, it is not booting into Windows last night or now.  It brings up the "acer" name and then quickly goes to Preparing Automatic Repair.  There is no evidence of any repairing, but it stays like that for 10 or 20 minutes, then shows a pale blue screen for a few minutes then a light blue screen, then shuts itself off.

I just let it run each time to see what it will do and to allow it to Repair itself as it may be able.  The only time it actually did boot into Windows was when the USB install drive we created was in a USB port, and I had started up tapping F12.
    It went into Repair mode and booted into Windows.  I guess I'll try that again.
    I'm at a loss.  I do have a full disk back up using Acronis when the machine was brand new.  Maybe now the Acronis recovery USB drive I created when it was new could restore the drive from the back up file I have on an external hard drive? 
  • JackE
    Options
    Time to rule in or rule out the HDD as the problem. It must be removed from the laptop. Then connected to a working machine with a HDD-to-USB adapter cable to see if it can be reliably accessed with FileExplorer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    OK, smart.  I have a USB 2.0 enclosure for 3.5" Hard Drive.  I realize the 2.5" HDD in my Acer is smaller, but I wonder if the connectors would be compatible for testing purposes.  I dont need to mount the drive for long term use. 
  • chai613
    Options
    If ordering (wont arrive till Thursday the 9th), is this the type of device to order?

StarTech.com SATA to USB Cable - USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter - External Converter for SSD/HDD Data Transfer (USB3S2SAT3CB)
  • JackE
    edited April 2020
    Options
    The 3.5" adapter might work OK. You might have to use its AC power. Jack E/NJ

PS: The startech should work too. It doesn't have separate AC power since the USB port powers the 2.5" drives.

Jack E/NJ