SP315-51 No Bootable Device - Can't boot into Windows

Options

Answers

• chai613
    chai613 Member Posts: 105 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    "If you decide you want to give up on Windows 7 and install Windows 10 (probably not free, but maybe)

1. Download the Windows 10 64 bit iso using the media creation tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Download rufus

https://rufus.ie/ "

JordanB, billsey, and JackE, sorry for the interruption and thank you for your patience!  I'll give up on Windows 7 and install Windows 10.

The Acer Spin came (new) preloaded and without documentation, installation DVDs nor a product key.  When it crashed last week (or was it 2 weeks already), it had been running Windows 10.  Acer or Costco support helped me to restore the operating system over a year ago using a restore function on the HDD.   I'm assuming it's only had Windows 10 on it.  

I'm going to use my PC to follow Jordan's instructions, above, to Download the Windows 10 64 bit ISO using the media creation tool and link, above.

I'll switch the Acer BIOS boot mode from Legacy to UEFI, before using Rufus to install Windows 10.

I'll sing back out if I run into trouble.
    Thanks again!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The only correction to that is you use Rufus to create the install flash drive from the downloaded ISO or IMG file. Putting the BIOS into UEFI mode should allow you to use the boot menu to choose the flash drive then.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,486 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Got, it, billsey.  Thanks!  Preparing shortly.
  • Someone2020
    Someone2020 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    Cant change from UEFI to Legacy in Boot mode and ready to throw Acer in the bin.
  • JackE
    Options
    Then you're probably not going to be able to install Win7. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Should JayRanesis, Someone2020 and IndiaTechnoblog start their own threads to properly address their issues?
  • chai613
    Options
    Jordan or billsey (or JackE) I've downloaded the Windows media creation tool to my PC's HDD and used it to create a Windows 10 64 bit ISO file on the new USB drive.  I've downloaded Rufus (3.9) to the same USB drive.  Then I try to run Rufus to create an bootable Windows 10 64 bit Installation USB drive to use on the ACER.  But, I'm running into some trouble.  I've tried different permutations of where I download the Win 10 ISO file to (Acer folder on my PC, USB drive) and  where I install Rufus to (USB drive, the HDD on the PC).  When both are installed onto the USB drive, Rufus doesn't recognize the ISO file.  When on the PC's HDD, Rufus seems to see the ISO file, but doesn't run.  Plus, Rufus suggests checking the validity of the ISO file downloaded via the Media Creation tool, using Rufus to verify.  I'd like to do that.

Could I please ask you to clarify for me:  where, specifically, I should be downloading the ISO file and Rufus to in order to create the install USB drive for Windows 10?  
  • JackE
    edited April 2020
    Options
    If you used Microsoft's USB media creation tool on another Windows computer, then you should boot from that stick to install Win10 directly. Rufus isn't needed in this case. You've probably corrupted this USB media creation tool stick by trying to install Rufus on it. You should probably re-do it from the Microsoft site. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    OK, with both the Win 10 ISO file and Rufus downloaded to the USB drive, I launched Rufus and opened the ISO file using Rufus.  Rufus now shows:  Drive Properties:  The Device is whatever it defaults to, which I can not modify and is empty.  Boot Selection:  Windows.iso  Select:  Select is checked.  Partition Scheme:  empty, can not be changed.  Target System:  empty, cannot be changed.  0 x 80 default.  Under Format Options:  Volume Label ESD-ISO, its pale and can not be changed.  File System and Cluster Size are empty and can not be changed.  Status says Ready, but it can not be activated.  Start is white and can not be activated.  I think I could Close it, but to what end?  I must have done something wrong...
  • chai613
    Options
    Jack, the Microsoft USB Media Creation Tool gave me an option of creating a USB drive or ISO file.  Jordan had said to use the ISO and Rufus.  Are you saying to format the USB drive, then download the Install Windows 10 to the USB drive, avoiding the ISO file and forgetting Rufus?  I thought that since my Acer does not have an operating system anymore, I need a bootable USB drive to install Windows 10 with and I needed Rufus for that?

• billsey
    Options
    @chai613 you don't want Rufus and the ISO file on the flash drive. Rufus will use the ISO file to create the bootable drive, and that will wipe everything from the flash drive. Put Rufus and the ISO in your downloads directory or on the desktop. Run Rufus in standalone mode or install it then run it and have it create the bootable flash drive from the ISO file. It should do a GPT UEFI install. One that is complete you can boot from the USB drive and continue. Creating the flash drive from the Media Creation Tool is just an option, and a bit less robust than using Rufus. By downloading the ISO instead of creating the flash drive from MCT you can restart the process if you miss a step. If you have MCT do the flash drive for you and something doesn't work right you have to start over from square one and download that huge ISO all over again. That's the primary reason we suggest using Rufus and a downloaded ISO.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options
    Rufus has to be installed on and run from another Windows computer to use the Win10 iso.

If you use the Microsoft USB media creation tool to make the USB installation stick directly without Rufus, it also has to be done from another Windows computer.

In other words, it's difficult to make a USB Win10 installation stick without access to another working Windows computer.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    I am running Windows 7 on my PC.  I am trying to create the bootable USB drive on this PC.  Reading answers from you and billsey, I guess I'll format my USB drive so I can start again with a fresh drive.  I'll download a fresh Windows 10 ISO to a folder on the PC and make sure I have a new download of Rufus on the PC in a separate folder.  Neither of these on the empty USB drive.  Then, if I can do this on my Windows 7 PC, I'll try to create a Windows 10 install USB  drive on my Windows 7 PC using Rufus.  Or, Jack, should I just use the Windows Media Creation Tool (MCT) to create a bootable Windows 10 installation USB drive directly onto the USB drive, and not use Rufus?  Am I able to proceed with my single Windows 7 PC, or are you saying I need 2 working Windows computers?
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, you can use either method to create the flash drive in Windows 7. I suggest Rufus and wouldn't re-download the ISO file unless the one you already have is corrupt for some reason. Just move it to the W7 computer.
  • JackE
    Options
    I agree with billsey. Either way if Win7 is up and running. I also prefer the  Rufus way with the Win10 iso to Microsoft's media creation tool. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    OK, I formatted my USB drive and then with Rufus and the Windows 10 ISO downloaded to the PC in separate folders, I used Rufus to create a bootable Windows 10 installation USB drive.  I set itself to the parameters billsey suggested and I ran a GPT UEFI install   It looks like a successful USB drive creation.  Heading now to the ACER to see if it will boot into the installation mode.  I have already previously set the BIOS mode to UEFI, so perhaps this will work!  I'm with Jack on the finger position now!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,958 Trailblazer
    edited April 2020
    Options
    chai613 said:
    I did save and exit after setting LEGACY mode instead of UEFI mode.  When going back into the BIOS, It does show I'm in Legacy mode in the Boot tab.  However, the machine only boots into "No Bootable Device - Insert Boot Disk and Press Any Key".  
    Your SP315-51 system has boot issues and the MBR (“Master boot record”) is a boot sector (a region of your hard disk) that holds information about the partitions of your hard drive and acts as a loader for the operating system you’re running}) has been corrupted! 
    “No bootable medium found” error screen on startup - A partition table is a table maintained on disk by the operating system describing the partitions on that disk. This term is most commonly associated with the MBR partition table of a Master Boot Record (MBR) in IBM PC compatibles, but it may be used generically to refer to other “formats” that divide a disk drive into partitions. If the partition table becomes damaged or corrupt, or simply has no bootable entries, then the system becomes unable to locate the partition to boot from and the boot process is halted.
    What I would do and as you have tried the basic(s) in BIOS for your SP315-51, to either boot in "UEFI" (safe mode) or "Legacy" mode and from its HDD, its not your boot order its more like your MBR. Try this guide, that explains all the steps of what you should do to "Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10" from here: https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/ and follow all the steps to regain your MBR. Or go here: “No bootable medium foundhttps://neosmart.net/wiki/no-bootable-medium-found/ for your specific error. 

Cheers and hope this helps. 
  • chai613
    Options
    OK, so we're Installing Windows 10, I'm in Windows Setup !!!  However, I'm STUCK !
    After choosing the language and accepting the licensing terms, I'm stuck after choosing the Custom method.  It said the default method was for machines that had Windows already running, and was for upgrading to Windows 10, it said it will keeps the files for you.  Whereas the Custom mode was seemingly for new installations.  So I'm now at a Windows Setup screen asking:  "Where do you want to install Windows?"  The only drive self highlighted in blue which it defaulted to.  Its named:  Drive 0 Unallocated Space.
    It shows: Drive 0, Unallocated space, Total Space - 0.00 MB, and Free Space - 0.00 MB. 
    There is a yellow triangle warning alert which says Windows can not be installed on this drive (show details).  Clicking on the details says:  This partition is too small.  Make the size of this partition at leas 9833 MB, or select another partition.

There are choices I can make:   Along the top line:         Refresh      Delete     Format      New
                                                    Along the lower line:     Load Driver       Extend

Can I proceed somehow from here?