Frozen screen/BDOS in CS GO - Acer Predator Helios PH317-53

Answers

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    This time, run the ISO (don't boot with USB) and choose to keep nothing .
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • archon88
    archon88 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    XdxD said:
    archon88 said:
    XdxD said:
    Now try to install NVidia DCH driver if standard isn't installing. If you go to service center, they will install the stock OS.
    The OS is fully updated, the latest DCH is what I've had before cleaning them but might as well try a clean install again :-(
    Download all the drivers from support site and keep it in some external storage. Then clean install without internet. All drivers will install successfully (since I tried it 2 months ago on 1903 and my drivers are from 2017). Only then connect to internet and do Windows Update if you wish to. For downloading latest ISO, download from here.
    This is pretty much what I've done previously with the fresh windows install, I tried the stock acer drivers with no positive result, tried driver updates, then clean windows install with acer support drivers, updated and still at the same step.
  • archon88
    XdxD said:
    archon88 said:
    XdxD said:
    Now try to install NVidia DCH driver if standard isn't installing. If you go to service center, they will install the stock OS.
    The OS is fully updated, the latest DCH is what I've had before cleaning them but might as well try a clean install again :-(
    Download all the drivers from support site and keep it in some external storage. Then clean install without internet. All drivers will install successfully (since I tried it 2 months ago on 1903 and my drivers are from 2017). Only then connect to internet and do Windows Update if you wish to. For downloading latest ISO, download from here.
    This is pretty much what I've done previously with the fresh windows install, I tried the stock acer drivers with no positive result, tried driver updates, then clean windows install with acer support drivers, updated and still at the same step.
  • archon88
    edited October 2019
    XdxD said:
    This time, run the ISO (don't boot with USB) and choose to keep nothing .
    I've done that, did not have the opportunity to test those 2 games in question yet but the weird green stripes thing still happend with a couple videos on fb/yt.

//isnt this a hint that its the intel ones causing issues as the rtx is not active while looking at videos in the browser?

// I seem unable to reproduce that issue on facebook/youtube with the intel drivers uninstalled from device manager.
    I will try uninstalling them and performing a clean install with the ones from intel, as the automatic ones from windows did not seem to work.
  • archon88
    edited October 2019
    Ok so previous post did not work, I ran DDU again and only reinstalled the intel ones this time, with the version provided by Acer on the support page.

It seems that the issue with the videos is not reproducing anymore, I will try out the games that I've been having issues with after I find a way to make sure that windows wont update the intel drivers again.

// I have disabled windows installation of drivers upon contact with a new device, as well as creating a registry key that should tell windows not to update drivers anymore, following this guide 
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

I am not able to reproduce the issue with videos in the browser anymore, I don't see how the issue with the games could have been caused by this as they were running on the nVidia GPU, which was performing very good in all the other games, but I will test it and come back with more information! Hopefully the BSOD/ black screen + BSOD is fixed now.
  • archon88
    I've started to encounter the issue where videos are composed of green stripes again, even on the acer support drivers for the intel gpu..
  • What I would try now would be to upgrade the uefi bios firmware and if that doesn't solve it, I would try to exchange the laptop with the dealer.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • XdxD
    That would be the obvious choice considering the fact that drivers aren't helping you.
  • archon88
    edited October 2019
    What I would try now would be to upgrade the uefi bios firmware and if that doesn't solve it, I would try to exchange the laptop with the dealer.
    XdxD said:
    That would be the obvious choice considering the fact that drivers aren't helping you.
    Bios firmware is already updated after the 2nd previous windows reinstall lol.

I seem to have fixed the video playback issue with browsers by disabling hardware acceleration.

I will try to tinker a bit more with the games causing issues since I cannot exchange or send the laptop in a service center due to my exam period.

I can't have any possible understanding of what is going wrong here, I've reinstalled the games, windows, drivers, and pretty much everything I could, and the computer is running stuff such as Metro Exodus on ultra with full rtx on with above 75 fps average without even going turbo mode, and then it crashes in CS:GO ..
  • Maybe it's these windows updates ruining everything.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • archon88
    Maybe it's these windows updates ruining everything.
    I find it impossible to belive that its a hardware issue in the current context. 
    I will look for specific fixes for each game, and I've just disabled game dvr and more of that windows junk, will see if it helps.
  • archon88
    The issue still persist :/
  • Have you tried backing up your original operating system image through acer care center and then trying to reinstall windows using a microsoft iso?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• XdxD
    edited October 2019
    archon88 said:
    If this is not a driver/hardware issue, then try this once. Run this command in Command Prompt as administrator: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth . Stay online while you execute this command. Then test again.
    Also view this comment once: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/640522/bsod-playing-csgo/page-2#entry4203981 .
  • archon88
    Have you tried backing up your original operating system image through acer care center and then trying to reinstall windows using a microsoft iso?
    I have reinstalled windows multiple times now, both from bootable usb and straight from iso.

XdxD said:
    archon88 said:
    If this is not a driver/hardware issue, then try this once. Run this command in Command Prompt as administrator: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth . Stay online while you execute this command. Then test again.
    Also view this comment once: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/640522/bsod-playing-csgo/page-2#entry4203981 .
    I've already tried the multicore rendering thing, it does not help.
    I'm running the DISM command you've mentioned right now, I will come back with feedback.
  • XdxD
    archon88 said:
    I'm running the DISM command you've mentioned right now, I will come back with feedback.
    Hope it works.
  • archon88
    XdxD said:
    archon88 said:
    Hope it works.
    It did not unfortunatley :-(
  • XdxD
    edited October 2019
    Out of my ideas. By the way, do you use any apps to modify mouse properties/show temperature during gameplay?In 1903, there's some problems with MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner Statistics. Last time I got a BSOD during a game was because of my mouse's companion program.
  • archon88
    Answer ✓
    XdxD said:
    Out of my ideas. By the way, do you use any apps to modify mouse properties/show temperature during gameplay?In 1903, there's some problems with MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner Statistics. Last time I got a BSOD during a game was because of my mouse's companion program.
    I'm only steelseries engine for my mouse

I had the good idea of contacting nVidia support and with the help of Shailendra, I followed these steps:
    nVidia Control panel -> global settings
    Power management mode – prefer maximum performance
    • Ambient Occlusion – Off
    • Triple buffering – off
    • Threaded optimization - ON
    • Vertical Sync – Off

I have succesfully completed 2 SC2 matches, a 47 minute one and a 11 minute one as well as a CS:GO match where the enemy team surrendered after only 11 rounds, but this is a new record for the moment.

I will confirm later on if this provided a permanent solution to my issue.
  • archon88
    Issue still happend again in SC..