Random Blackscreens - Predator Triton 500

Answers

• In uefi, is there an option to only enable dgpu or igpu?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WardenRomeo
    WardenRomeo Member Posts: 97 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited June 2019
    I can do that yes if I select something on Acer Predator Sense.
  • When you select only dgpu, does the problem remain?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WardenRomeo
    I think yes, I can't even open GeForce Experience since the day I've reset the battery... that's weird.
  • Hello! Disable automatic restart and show us the error code:
    Resultado de imagem para desativar reincio automtico

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WardenRomeo
    https://youtu.be/32ToRwbKb9g
    Check that video, that's ***** annoying. 
  • AlessioCali
    AlessioCali Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hello there, I found this post here after trying to figure out some issues I'm having with my laptop. I have a Predator Triton 500 with an nVidia RTX 2080 updated to latest BIOS and nVidia driver. This is what's been happening:

1. While playing 3D games, occasionally, the game would crash on a black screen, giving some generic DirectX error. This has happened so far to me with FFXIV and AC4: Black Flag, so I doubt it's a game specific issue.
    2. After the crash the GPU would stop working. Trying to open a 3D game will cause the same generic DirectX error. Trying to open the nVidia control panel won't show the test 3D render.
    3. After restarting the PC, it will act as if there is no GPU connected. No contextual menu in the desktop, no option to launch executables with the GPU, and starting GeForce Experience will tell something along the lines of "No nVidia compatible card detected on your system"
    4. If, while in this unstable state, I try to force the dGPU option via BIOS, I will be greeted with an eternal black screen which makes the PC unusuable. I can see though through my keyboard/mouse lights that it succeeds to boot, probably reaching the login scree. If this happens, the only way out I found was to restart forcefully multiple times until, with enough luck, the BIOS settings would be reset and the PC started working again.
    5. The only safe way I found of getting through this crash I found was to shut down the PC, wait around 30s, and restart it. Sometimes it would hang 30s, reboot itself (again, BIOS reset), and start fine, other times it would just go without any issue.

It's not an overheating problem since my temperatures while gaming are around 75 C. Oddly enough after the third or fourth time this happened, my Predator Sense stopped working and no manner of reinstallation managed to bring it back.

I think it might related to sudden shifts in GPU load. I say this because the most common context of crashing in FFXIV was alt-tabbing out of the game (I play in borderless window), while in Black Flag it was after opening the ingame menu. Fearing it might be a power supply issue, I disabled all optimizations (I run the max performance profile and disabled the PCI Power Link Control), but I still get the crashes from time to time.

That said, did anyone manage to fix the black screen problem? It seems somehow related to me.

• Did you notice if at the time the black screen occurred, if the notebook also used battery power? Have you tried putting the battery in for high performance too?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlessioCali

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    Actually I never really had a black screen, just a crash to desktop followed by all the phenomenons above. My issue is just similar in the sense that my graphic adapter seems to be failing somehow. I have nVidia optimus active, so I'm just guessing (but it's only a guess) that forcing dGPU only would result in the black screen (as it happens if I do that -after- crashing). Regarding the battery power, I never really checked it. It might have been slightly less than 100% but I cannot be sure. Next time it will happen I will check it. Unfortunately I lack a tester for the power adapter, but if that might be a cause I will try to get one.

Regarding the battery profile yes I'm using the top performance one.
  • @AlessioCalicould you tell the exact model of your notebook? Example an515-51-75kz!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlessioCali

Tinkerer

Unless I am mistaken reading the tag on the bottom, it should be Predator PT515-51-N18W3. If I try to input it in the Acer's website it tells me its part number is NH.Q4WEX.001. It's a variant sold in Bulgaria with an RTX2080 MaxQ, 2x512GB nVme SSD and 16GB of RAM
  • What is the version firmware uefi?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlessioCali

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    1.06, the latest one from the support page.

By the way I just had another crash and I checked, my battery is 100% charged. And again this time I was going out of the game menu into the game itself.
  • Have you tried lowering the display refresh rate?
    Resultado de imagem para refresh rate

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlessioCali

Tinkerer

No I didn't, but I did now. I will keep this thread updated, I will report if I get another crash within 2 weeks
  • Ok! Post the result here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlessioCali

Tinkerer

Nope, just had another crash. Although I haven't had many lately, it's also true I've been playing in different conditions (attached to a 60Hz external monitor, playing Watch Dogs). The crash was again after going back to FFXIV with the builtin monitor (limited at 60Hz).
  • AlessioCali

Tinkerer

Interestingly enough, trying to restart immediately after a crash (rather than shutting the PC down) will result in a Blue Screen with the error code VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR
  • This is showing up that there is some problem with the video card driver!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlessioCali

Tinkerer

I've kept my drivers up-to-date ever since the issue started manifesting, but none solved. Interestingly, I had my latest crash after trying to force dGPU only, and the symptoms were much like those described by the original poster (black screen, problems rebooting etc). I'm running version 430.86, the only thing that comes to mind to me is to try do a complete clean reinstallation of the drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller).