Random Blackscreens - Predator Triton 500

Answers

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I've kept my drivers up-to-date ever since the issue started manifesting, but none solved. Interestingly, I had my latest crash after trying to force dGPU only, and the symptoms were much like those described by the original poster (black screen, problems rebooting etc). I'm running version 430.86, the only thing that comes to mind to me is to try do a complete clean reinstallation of the drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller).
    Try clean installing 431.18 and don't install GeForce Experience.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • Does the problem remain with the driver provided by Acer?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AlessioCali
    AlessioCali Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

XdxD said:
    I've kept my drivers up-to-date ever since the issue started manifesting, but none solved. Interestingly, I had my latest crash after trying to force dGPU only, and the symptoms were much like those described by the original poster (black screen, problems rebooting etc). I'm running version 430.86, the only thing that comes to mind to me is to try do a complete clean reinstallation of the drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller).
    431.18 is not yet available for my GPU (at least, it doesn't show up in the nVidia driver search)
  • AlessioCali

Tinkerer

Does the problem remain with the driver provided by Acer?
    I thought the one on the Acer website was only for 2060, but I missed other links. I clean installed 430.86 and so far no crashes, I will report if anything changes.
  • AlessioCali

Tinkerer

Well, it was cool as long as it lasted. Had another crash. I'll try with a clean install of the acer one
  • AlessioCali

Tinkerer

Oddly enough, this time the effects where a bit more... Annoying. Even after restarting multiple times my PC would refuse acknowledging the existence of my GPU. After performing a force shut down (10s holding the power button) it did multiple reboots and then the GPU started working again, but the BIOS settings were reverted to dGPU only for some reason.

If installing the acer drivers for nVidia fails, I will try with the video Intel ones. Maybe it's some Optimus stuff.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AlessioCali

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    But that's for 2060 - I have a 2080. Isn't it dangerous to upgrade the firmware of a mismatched version?
  • Pardon! I thought your model had the rtx2060 model! You can not use the firmware for a different video card!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• XdxD
    XdxD said:
    431.18 is not yet available for my GPU (at least, it doesn't show up in the nVidia driver search)
    Because it is a hotfix driver. Here's the link: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4828/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-version-431.18
  • AlessioCali

Tinkerer

Okay so, I clean installed version 417.49 from the Acer website and so far, it worked fine. Not sure if 431.18 would have worked as well.

Another thing, after the latest Windows Update (I think it was 1903?) my Predator Sense got resurrected somehow. It could also have fixed the crashes but I cannot be sure.
  • XdxD
    edited July 2019
    Okay so, I clean installed version 417.49 from the Acer website and so far, it worked fine. Not sure if 431.18 would have worked as well.

Another thing, after the latest Windows Update (I think it was 1903?) my Predator Sense got resurrected somehow. It could also have fixed the crashes but I cannot be sure.
    Great for you for getting it solved! Btw, 431.36 is now available. Update only if you gonna try a new game that's supported by this driver.
  • vorob
    vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    So is there a final solution for this issue? Cause for now it looks pretty random: update drivers, reset battery and people still having black screen issue. 
  • XdxD
    vorob said:
    So is there a final solution for this issue? Cause for now it looks pretty random: update drivers, reset battery and people still having black screen issue. 
    Assuming you are on latest BIOS, do a clean install with Microsoft's ISO and install all the drivers from Acer's support page. Do these steps while being offline. Also do an image backup before doing these stuff.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    vorob said:
    @vorob stock recovery clean install ??? To completely rule out any software issues if after a clean install the issues persist I would say it's hardware and send it back 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Oppne
    Oppne Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    I have the predator triton 500 with a 2080 RTX card, and exactly this is happening to me. It was sent to acer support, and they didint find anything wrong with it and couldnt reproduce the problem even though i told them exactly how to.

So when ever i use the computer, it happends randomly, but is mostly recalled when using game engines or playing games. 
    It just goes black and quiet, but still lights. Then i have to restart it multiple times or wait 30 seconds before restarting

I did a stock reinstall and all updates from acer site and the problems still occurs.
  • Acer released on November 18, 2019, bios version 1.12 for model PT515-51:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Oppne

Tinkerer

Thats not an update to my version, since i got the 2080 card @egydiocoelho
    Should i install it anyway?
    And i only have one graphics card showing, not the built in one, but acer driver and support assistance is telling me to update the intel graphics UHD 630, but it says my system is not supported when i try to install it.

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019
    Oppne how come its says your system its not supported if the IGPU its inside the cpu and its supported by windows itself with standard drivers i suspect something is really wrong with your OS probably broken/corrupted due to windows updates try a stock recovery clean install check here backup whatever you need first and delete everything option also disable windows updates from update drivers/firmware or completely after this if the issue still persists  its most probably a hardware issue contact acer support directly and send it back to get it checked

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Oppne

Tinkerer

xapim said:
    Oppne how come its says your system its not supported if the IGPU its inside the cpu and its supported by windows itself with standard drivers i suspect something is really wrong with your OS probably broken/corrupted due to windows updates try a stock recovery clean install check here backup whatever you need first and delete everything option also disable windows updates from update drivers/firmware or completely after this if the issue still persists  its most probably a hardware issue contact acer support directly and send it back to get it checked
    Im sorry, but this still remains an issue.