Does Acer Swift 3 Ryzen 5 SF315-41 support M.2 PCIe NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 SSD

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options
    @kuduku >>>I will try to get a replacement from my online retailer from whom I have purchased. The shop has a 10 days return policy but will try  >>>.

If you can do this, seems your best option. ACER service will take longer. I think we've already been thru the need for GPT partitioning in UEFI mode. The mainboard nVME compatibility is likely to be less of a problem then the drive nVME compatibility with the nVME standards.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018
    Options

@kuduku

I have a dumb question(s) for you.......

When you inserted the Intel 600p in to the M.2 slot, did you insert/wiggle it at a 30 degree angle and screw it down with an appropriate M.2 screw?

Also, can you tell if the M.2 slot is M keyed?  Or is it B+M keyed?
     If it's M keyed, it should support NVMe.  

https://www.moddiy.com/products/M2.0-x-3mm-Black-Screws-(CM2X3%2d3.3).html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • kuduku
    kuduku Member Posts: 83 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    JackE said:
    @kuduku >>>I will try to get a replacement from my online retailer from whom I have purchased. The shop has a 10 days return policy but will try  >>>.

If you can do this, seems your best option. ACER service will take longer. I think we've already been thru the need for GPT partitioning in UEFI mode. The mainboard nVME compatibility is likely to be less of a problem then the drive nVME compatibility with the nVME standards.  Jack E/NJ

called up online retailer 
    refused so thats out of question now
  • kuduku
    Options
    JordanB said:

@kuduku

When you inserted the Intel 600p in to the M.2 slot, did you insert/wiggle it at a 30 degree angle and screw it down with an appropriate M.2 screw?

JordanB said:

@kuduku

Service center has confirmed it only supports M.2 sata 
  • JordanB
    Options
    Thanks for posting. 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Service center has confirmed it only supports M.2 sata  >>>

That may be so. We had questions about that  right near the start of this thread. But a good nVME drive should still be recognized by & operate in an m.2 SATA slot just not at its max capability. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kuduku
    Options
    JackE said:

That may be so. We had questions about that  right near the start of this thread. But a good nVME drive should still be recognized by & operate in an m.2 SATA slot just not at its max capability. Jack E/NJ
    Then what to do now ?????
  • karpark
    karpark Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    My service center confirm NVMe. but He tell me that in spec from acer only M.2sata

I ask him to try NVMe. not only in spec but he not confirm that i can every NVMe because in spec tell only m.2sata
    but I think you should try GPT if you not try.
  • kuduku
    Options
    @JordanB
    @brummyfan2
    @JackE
    @padgett
    Okay an update of what happened at service center 
    The service rep confirmed that my NVMe is not working as they had tried the same in Acer predator 300 series and it didnt work in that also .
    Whereas the seller has installed OS in it , called me up and then sent 
    I dont have any other laptop to check and here also in forums no body has been able to get an NVMe drive recognized in this laptop 
    So can any one tell that NVme works in Predator 300 ?
    Seller has now refused to refund money of SSD and am taking a M.2 SATA Samsung now 
    have to ship he Intel one back , send him more money for shipping then he ships out the M.2 SATA
    The official answer to my service request is that - Only M.2 sata ssd supported 

Service center guys ***** up the laptop top metal body 
    They have put a big dent near fingerprint screw while working on it and dent on metal body is instantly visible 
    check pics 

I made a hue and cry , now they are changing the top cover . Is this how all Acer service centers work ??? 
    Now have interacted with 2 different centers in 2 diff cities and both were totally unprofessional .....
    completely unprofessional , have dirtied screen with fingerprints , maks on body etc . Have to clean it up now ..... :/:/

So thats the story till now .
    The SSD is not getting recognized
    As @JackE said atleast should be visible in BIOS , working or not is a separate thing 

• kuduku
    Options
    JackE said:

Not able to edit my own posts so pinging you again , gives error about Vanilla Permissions 
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/564684/#Comment_564684
    has confirmed that he treid 960 EVO NVMe and was not recognized in his laptop also . He has same model as mine 
    So now ........
  • kuduku
    Options
    karpark said:
    My service center confirm NVMe. but He tell me that in spec from acer only M.2sata

I ask him to try NVMe. not only in spec but he not confirm that i can every NVMe because in spec tell only m.2sata
    but I think you should try GPT if you not try.
    GPT and all that stuff will come when its recognized . For showing in BIOS it doesnt require GPT . Has to show as something for correct drivers , boot setup etc ....
  • karpark

Tinkerer

Options
    For showing in BIOS it doesnt require GPT
    I think that too.

but many forum  NVMe not show in bios but show in Windows Disk Management.
    So it's worth a try.
  • JordanB
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @karpark

You've made a lot of good posts in this topic.  And you're right, some M.2 won't show in BIOS.  Disk Management is a better place to look. But he did try mini tool partition software and it didn't show up.  

Also, I have Intel 600p that I bought for a different computer model and it doesn't come initialized as MBR.  It either comes out of the box uninitialized or GPT.  I can't remember, but definitely not Initialized as MBR. 
  • karpark

Tinkerer

Options
    JordanB said:
    @karpark

You've made a lot of good posts in this topic.  And you're right, some M.2 won't show in BIOS.  Disk Management is a better place to look. But he did try mini tool partition software and it didn't show up.  

Also, I have Intel 600p and it doesn't come initialized as MBR.  It either comes out of the box uninitialized or GPT.  I can't remember, but definitely not Initialized as MBR. 
    You are right.
    He did try mini tool partition. I forget about this.
  • kuduku
    Options
    karpark said:
    For showing in BIOS it doesnt require GPT
    I think that too.

but many forum  NVMe not show in bios but show in Windows Disk Management.
    So it's worth a try.
    yup
    tried both Mini tool and Windows Disk management
    Doesnt show in both 
  • kuduku
    Options
    BIOS ver 2.01 for Acer Swift 3 Ryzen 5 SF315-41-R9S1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hu6dmcut3on6pm/BK5EA_V2.01.exe?dl=0
  • JackE
    Options
    From where was v2.01 downloaded? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kuduku
    Options
    JackE said:
    From where was v2.01 downloaded? Jack E/NJ
    Acer service center engineer downloaded and upgraded my bios
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

OK, not having one, it is hard to try but it looks like there are three connectors, M, B, and B+M. Frankly I see no keying to prevent reverse insertion of a B into an M unless one side of the M.2 drive is thicker than the other.

Further there are three failure points: drive, connector(s), and cable(s). Just having one device it is hard to do triage. With a USB adapter  (NVMe capable) or a PCIe adapter and a desktop with an available slot at least the drive could be independantly checked out.

Finally I have seen some BIOSes that will only detect/display bootable drives.

So can only suggest some possibilities but not verify.  

• seerra
    seerra Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    @kuduku I have been following this query and was interested in adding a SSD too. But their is too less surety.
    Acer has provided M.2 slot with no info regarding to it if it has got limitation. Was wondering if it has space for SATA SSD as I haven't opened my laptop?