Does Acer Swift 3 Ryzen 5 SF315-41 support M.2 PCIe NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 SSD

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options
    @seerra It is a 2280 m.2 slot. Jack E/NJ

M.2 2280 128 / 256 / 512 GB , SATA SSD (SATA 3.0)(Support AMD RyzenTMR3 2200U /2300U ,
    AMD RyzenTMR5 2500U , AMD RyzenTMR7 2700U ).

M.2 2280 256 / 512 GB NVMe SSD, PCIE (AMD RyzenTMR3 2200U /2300U only support PCIE
    SSD 2 lane(x2),RyzenTMR5 and RyzenTMR7 support up to PCIE SSD 4 lane(x4)).

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    @seerra Slot is for a 2280 m.2. Room for a 2.5" SSD or HDD. Jack E/NJ

M.2 2280 128 / 256 / 512 GB , SATA SSD (SATA 3.0)(Support AMD RyzenTMR3 2200U /2300U ,
    AMD RyzenTMR5 2500U , AMD RyzenTMR7 2700U ).

M.2 2280 256 / 512 GB NVMe SSD, PCIE (AMD RyzenTMR3 2200U /2300U only support PCIE
    SSD 2 lane(x2),RyzenTMR5 and RyzenTMR7 support up to PCIE SSD 4 lane(x4)).

Jack E/NJ

• kuduku
    kuduku Member Posts: 83 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    seerra said:
    @kuduku I have been following this query and was interested in adding a SSD too. But their is too less surety.
    Acer has provided M.2 slot with no info regarding to it if it has got limitation. Was wondering if it has space for SATA SSD as I haven't opened my laptop?
    m.2 SATA fits great , no issues 
    my query was for specifically for M.2 NVMe 
  • seerra
    seerra Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @kuduku What are your system config.
    As mine is Ryzen 5 2500U 8/1tb  HDD.
    I have checked ryzen specification and it does support PCle NVMe, PCIE 3.0
    May be you should get a replacement of the SSD you have purchased as it could be damaged.
  • kuduku
    edited April 2018
    Options
    seerra said:
    May be you should get a replacement of the SSD you have purchased as it could be damaged.
    Checked with 2 different SSDs , doesnt work .
    Another user here checked with 960 evo NVMe , same results - https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/564684/#Comment_564684
    check this 
    service center also doesnt know , they have confirmed by installing a M.2 SATA . If they would have NVMe available then different 
  • karpark
    karpark Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    seerra said:
    I have plan to add NVMe too. 
    NOw i will buy only M.2 SATA for sure that i can upgrade without problem.
  • kuduku
    Options
    Acer guys came and changed the top panel , what they had screwed up 
    And again confirmed that Acer has emailed that this does not support NVMe
    But as @JackE and others have generally said that it should atleast get recognized  if not NVMe speeds so its fair to say that its disabled from BIOS
    Whitelisting only M.2 SATA or something like that 
    Now how can we enable it . BIOS is encrypted so BOS mods forums have not been able to help .
    Any other means to enable that .......
  • JackE
    Options
    I re-read this whole exhausting thread. The engineers have come, gone & failed. Seems time to try downgrading to BIOS v1.04. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kuduku
    Options
    JackE said:
    I re-read this whole exhausting thread. The engineers have come, gone & failed. Seems time to try downgrading to BIOS v1.04. Jack E/NJ
    An option but dont have a NVMe drive now .
    have sent it back to seller , waiting for my Samsung M.2 SATA drive now . Whats the official acer stand on all this . I am really skeptical about this reply by the local service engineer who has got BIOS ver 2.01 as i know their professional standards which they again proved by spoiling the top 
    so....
  • JackE
    Options
    @kuduku>>>Whats the official acer stand on all this >>>

Maybe hasn't been determined yet. Still wonder how & why v2 firmware got on your machine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kuduku
    Options
    picked this pic from here - https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/540094/#Comment_540094

now see mine , theres no PCIe express x4 

• seerra
    Options
    @kuduku It does show ×4 bus in mine
  • kuduku
    Options
    seerra said:
    @kuduku It does show ×4 bus in mine
    For WIFI card only . But we are not removing that . 
    Ours are slight different as per pics 
  • seerra
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @kuduku I contacted Acer customer service and they have confirmed that it doesn't have M.2 port, if you wanna add SSD then replace it's HDD with Sata Hdd 
  • kuduku
    Options
    seerra said:
    @kuduku I contacted Acer customer service and they have confirmed that it doesn't have M.2 port, if you wanna add SSD then replace it's HDD with Sata Hdd 
    It's already confirmed & installed ssd in M.2 port 
    It was NVMe & not recognized 
  • Sam9545
    Sam9545 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    @seerra If you bought from acer india
    Acer Swift 3 SF315-41

It has dedicated empty m.2 slot which supports as of now SATA ssd  . I will recommend go directly to the service center to install the ssd.

Previously, I bought Samsung 960 evo NVME ssd and go to acer service center . I told service center guy to install ssd on laptop . He open the screw but difficulty to open the locks. then I show the teardown video from youtube later he opened it without hassle . He install the ssd but it not shown bios. Many attempt he tried like checking in bios , attempt only with SSD (removing hdd connector) but no luck . They have no answer why it not supported. So after wasting an hour .I told them to refit the laptop
     he tightened the screw and surprisingly He applied old warranty sticker comes with laptop on over screw.
     Then some days later 
     I bought used samsung 850 evo m.2 sata ssd and installed in home to old sticker without fear of voiding warranty  and it work flawlessly .

Acer swift 3 launched india about an month ago. hence service center guys has less information about it  
    I will attached pic of m.2 port

• kuduku
    Options
    Time to close this ,Got a Intel Ssd Pro 5400 240 GB . Was recognized instantly . Have installed my windows in it . No issues 
    So the final is that this laptop doesn't support M.2 NVMe drives but only M.2 SATA . Whether it has the hardware compatibility but has been locked down by Acer is unknown to me
    @Sam9545
    @JackE
    @JordanB
    @brummyfan2
    @padgett
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @kuduku

Ok thanks for posting.  Some Swift 3 do support NVMe though.  But apparently yours doesn't.  Usually when Acer uses a different BIOS version, it means that they changed the mainboard or changed the UEFI.  You have BIOS version 2.x.   But the Swift 3's listed in link below on USA site have BIOS version 1.x.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Unfortunately we don't have any info about your mainboard with BIOS 2.x.  We only have info about the mainboard with BIOS version 1.x.    Only Acer has info about your mainboard.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes, the mysterious v2.x confused the issue. But still doesn't explain why the NVMes didn't work as SATA3s. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @JackE

Are you sure an NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD can work in a M.2 slot with a SATA 3.0 interface?  Checkout answer below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3574056/inserted-nvme-ssd-sata-slot-motherboard-accepts-sata-potential-damage.html

Maybe you're confusing his M.2 slot with a SATA Express M.2 slot.
    I'm not an Acer employee.