Line down the middle, overlapping image

Options

Answers

• Cerilia
    Cerilia Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    I can confirm after speaking to Acer Barcelona, they dont know about the problem... I have the chat logs as proof.
  • TwoEggs
    TwoEggs Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi everyone,

So I posted about this a while back and I wanted to give an update. 

Since updating to Nvidia Drivers 390.65 back in January, and updating to every update since I have not had the issue since. I know that's not the fix, as you've all tried various drivers, but that was the moment when I didn't have the issue again.

I run my Acer monitor at 165Hz and my other at 144Hz with the Acer set as my Primary. The Acer is via Displayport while my secondary is DVI (so interestingly my "secondary" monitor is treated as the primary display during Boot). I don't think any of this matters, I just wanted to post as much as possible in case it can help somebody, or help Acer find the problem.

The fact of the matter is that whatever Acer thinks is the problem, seems like it may not be. As a few of you have said, sending for repair doesn't always correct the issue, brand new monitors still have the issue, and many territories don't even know about the issue to have it sent for repair.

We need more information. I understand Acer-Manny is doing the best he can with the limited information he's been given by their technical department, but this really needs to be escalated at this point. The fact that people are paying to have it "repaired" and getting back units that have the same problem is unacceptable.

I think we would all appreciate a bit more information, even if at this point it's just "We are looking into it again".

We paid a premium price for a premium product, show us that Acer can provide premium service when it matters. Please.

• Pepper_
    Pepper_ Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Someone else mentioned that running at 165hz solves the problem.

Does the image quality suffer from 165hz?
  • Cerilia
    Cerilia Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    I seemed so suffer a bit of input lag at 165hz
  • TwoEggs
    TwoEggs Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Options
    Pepper_ said:
    Someone else mentioned that running at 165hz solves the problem.

Does the image quality suffer from 165hz?
    I didn't notice any difference in quality of input lag at 165. Worth a shot. I believe when I first tried to fix the issue putting it to 165 didn't solve it, but it might for somebody else.
  • Alex_F1304
    Alex_F1304 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    kelfella said:
    I posted earlier on this thread but I feel I should comment again . After contacting Acer regarding this fault they advised me to send it in for repair . I emailed the repair centre , which is an outside contractor , saying that I read the fault is related to the firmware . They replaced the screen no mention of firmware . The new screen has the same fault . The screen replacement has caused backlight bleed , which was not there before,  also the plastic on the rear of the monitor was damaged . Probably happened laid flat on a work bench . Acer needs to acknowledge this fault and be honest to it's customers .
    What a nightmare. Where is this service center located? :o
  • blieobld
    blieobld Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    kelfella said:
    I posted earlier on this thread but I feel I should comment again . After contacting Acer regarding this fault they advised me to send it in for repair . I emailed the repair centre , which is an outside contractor , saying that I read the fault is related to the firmware . They replaced the screen no mention of firmware . The new screen has the same fault . The screen replacement has caused backlight bleed , which was not there before,  also the plastic on the rear of the monitor was damaged . Probably happened laid flat on a work bench . Acer needs to acknowledge this fault and be honest to it's customers .
    What a nightmare. Where is this service center located? :o
    Temple, TX is where i had to send mine. 1 day to get there since I am down in San Antonio and 12 days it just sat there. 
  • Leonheart89
    Leonheart89 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I purchased mine 2 weeks and I've just had this issue for the first time.. turned it off and on it was fine for the rest of the evening but it's been sitting on my mind so I googled the issue which lead me here. 
    If this continues I won't bother with sending it for repair, going by this thread it clearly doesn't fix the issue. Instead I'll just send it back for a full refund and go else where.
  • SOMEZOMBIES
    SOMEZOMBIES Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have an XB271HU that is a little over 2 years old, the line down the middle thing only showed up after I rebuilt my PC in January of this year. 

Im running 
    I7-8700k
    16gb ram 
    z370 Aorus Gaming 7 
    2 1080 TI's In SLI
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit 

Monitor firmware: 20151210_0_2079_14

I have gotten this issue with using display ports on both graphic cards, and with the monitor clocked from 60 to 160hz. 

From what i have seen the issue seems to happen when switching from things using lots of rendering power such as alt tabbing from a game onto your desktop 

I overclock my graphics cards and when i am running them at higher clocks the issue seems to happen more frequently. 

the easiest fix for me is usually just tabbing in and out and it seems to reset. 

Lots of times when the issue fixes its self the screen goes black and then re fits its self to the window. 

this is just a list of what i have ran into while troubleshooting this, ill keep an eye on this forum and update if i find a fix for anything 

• VarHyid
    VarHyid Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Why do you people keep blaming Acer when this is clearly a known GSync issue which happens in different monitors from different brands? Report it to Nvidia who may actually be able to solve it. Replacing the monitor won't help you. Buying one from a different brand won't help you, as long as you have a GSync monitor, you can get this problem.

Leave Britney Acer alone! ;)
  • MrDonkey
    MrDonkey Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    VarHyid said:
    Why do you people keep blaming Acer when this is clearly a known GSync issue which happens in different monitors from different brands? Report it to Nvidia who may actually be able to solve it. Replacing the monitor won't help you. Buying one from a different brand won't help you, as long as you have a GSync monitor, you can get this problem.

Yeah!

Why do You blame car manufacturer for your defective brakes? It’s not their fault that they don’t work!

• VarHyid
    Options
    MrDonkey said:

Why do You blame car manufacturer for your defective brakes? It’s not their fault that they don’t work!

I don't. If the issue with the brakes is not caused by the manufacturer mounting them incorrectly, but by the brakes themselves being faulty and there would be documented cases of the same issue occurring in multiple cars from multiple manufacturers then at that point I would of course blame the brake manufacturer.

Of course the analogy is not that good because in this case I could blame the car manufacturer for using the same brakes even though they're known to be faulty, but in the monitor's case you can't tell Acer to use "a different Gsync module"... cause there's only the Nvidia Gsync module so the only alternative is to buy a monitor without Gsync.

Are you saying that Acer is to blame for the fact that they keep offering Gsync monitors and they should stop selling them in protest, to force Nvidia to fix this? Sure, that would be a noble cause and who knows, maybe it would raise Nvidia's attention, but I doubt they'll do it.
  • MrDonkey
    MrDonkey Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    VarHyid said:
    Are you saying that Acer is to blame for the fact that they keep offering Gsync monitors and they should stop selling them in protest, to force Nvidia to fix this? Sure, that would be a noble cause and who knows, maybe it would raise Nvidia's attention, but I doubt they'll do it.
    That's exactly what they should do.
  • Alex_F1304

Tinkerer

edited July 2018
    Options
    VarHyid said:

Wrong! This is not a problem of the G-Sync module, because this issue is on monitors with FreeSync too. I can prove it:
    https://community.amd.com/thread/204848
  • VarHyid
    Options
    Interesting. In that case that's an even better reason not to focus just on Acer - it's happening at least on BenQ, ASUS and Acer Gsync monitors and even ASUS FreeSync monitors.

I wonder what the source of this issue is then. Is it some inherent problem of any adaptive sync technology? I wonder if this could happen on an iPad. Yes, iPad. The latest iPad Pro has an adaptive sync screen. But then, I don't think the iPad ever switches modes the way our PCs do, I mean... at least for me it's usually happening when I'm Alt+Tabbing a lot and then once in a while that triggers the line. Another Alt+Tab fixes it so it looks that it's primarily triggered when you go between desktop and a Gsync (or FreeSync/Adaptive sync) enabled full screen game.

I'm really curious if we find out what's really causing it.
  • Alex_F1304

Tinkerer

Options
    VarHyid said:
    Interesting. In that case that's an even better reason not to focus just on Acer - it's happening at least on BenQ, ASUS and Acer Gsync monitors and even ASUS FreeSync monitors.

I wonder what the source of this issue is then. Is it some inherent problem of any adaptive sync technology? I wonder if this could happen on an iPad. Yes, iPad. The latest iPad Pro has an adaptive sync screen. But then, I don't think the iPad ever switches modes the way our PCs do, I mean... at least for me it's usually happening when I'm Alt+Tabbing a lot and then once in a while that triggers the line. Another Alt+Tab fixes it so it looks that it's primarily triggered when you go between desktop and a Gsync (or FreeSync/Adaptive sync) enabled full screen game.

I'm really curious if we find out what's really causing it.
    All these monitors connect only one thing - the panel. In my opinion - AUO panel M270DAN02 or firmware issues. 
  • Zippyuser
    Zippyuser Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Acer needs to recall this defective product.  It is ILLEGAL to sell a defective device as if it is supposed to work properly.  Also they have the audacity to say that I am supposed to PAY to ship their mess back to them for repair, at the very least shipping costs need to be reimbursed.  Acer needs to fix this as it has been a known issue for YEARS.  I want my money back acer you can't sell broken devices and expect people to STFU and take it.
  • flang
    flang Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I can't believe the problem has been going on this long without a fix. I registered just to give my own experience.

The monitor I'm currently using is an Acer Predator XB271HU Abmiprz. It is actually a warranty replacement for my last Acer monitor - the Acer XB270HU Abprz. That previous monitor had a backlight problem that could not be fixed, so they sent me my current one as a replacement.

There are no significant differences between the XB270HU and the XB271HU, feature-wise. They are both 27" 1440p 144Hz TN panel monitors with G-sync. However, although my XB270HU had the backlight problem, it never had this "center column cutout" problem, through all 18 months or so that I owned it. With my XB271HU however, it is a constant menace. It happens when the monitor's resolution is changed, or when a game switches to exclusive fullscreen mode, with about a 20% occurrence rate. The center column will be cut out and pushed to the right of the screen.

I am going to try to disable G-sync for a while and see if that helps at all, although I doubt it will based on the testimonies in this thread from other users. Even if it works though, that will still require a fix from either Acer or Nvidia. I assume the cause would be a faulty G-sync module in the display.
  • flang
    flang Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Update to my post above: This Predator XB271HU was a brand new replacement for my faulty XB270HU. And it was sent to me in February of 2018. So whatever "fix" was applied to older monitors, it doesn't seem to have worked.
  • EAX
    EAX Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Any Updates here? I have the exact same issue with my Acer XB272 240Hz Screen, a bit right of the center there is a cutout and it is displaced to the left side of the screen.
    Had the issue with multiple GPU drivers now since ive bought the screen, always happen during standbys, or even if i just did shutdown my PC Rig and started it on the next day.

My Hardware:

Acer XB272 240Hz 
     Intel Core i7 6800K@ 4000MHz Noctua NH-D15S 
     Gigabyte X99 Extreme Gaming F6 Bios
     4x4GB CMK16GX4M4A2400C14 
     Gainward GTX 1080 GLH

Gsync off, ULMB is off... it happens with and without those 2 options. DSR (2880x1620) is activated, but not used nowadays.
This discussion has been closed.