Deleting files on Chromebook is straightforward. To save space and organize, delete files, but note that deletion doesn't always remove files immediately. If needed, deleted files can be retrieved.
Read on below to learn how to delete files on Chromebook, retrieve deleted files, permanently delete files, and delete files on Google Drive.
How to delete a file on Chromebook
- Open the App launcher and click the Files app.
- Locate Downloads.
- Right click on the file you want to delete and select Move to trash. You can also press Alt + Backspace.
How to permanently delete files on Chromebook
- Click Trash in the left sidebar of the Files app.
- Click Empty trash now.
How to delete files Google Drive
- Locate Google Drive in the left sidebar and select a file or folder to delete in the right panel.
- Right click on the file and press Delete or press Alt + Backspace. This will remove files from both the files app and the cloud.
- Google file drives don’t go to Trash, but you can retrieve deleted files by going to drive.google.com/drive/trash in the Chrome browser and right clicking on them.
How to restore files on Chromebook
- Open the App launcher and click the Files app. Right click on the relevant file or folder and select Restore from trash. You can also click Restore at the top of the Files app.